Database Use Structure/Auto renaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database Use Structure/Auto renaming

Is there any way we can get the database use structure? It would be a lot easier to find and fix errors if we knew the full structure and logic instead of spending hours experimenting!

Is there any utility to automatically rename/update DB file names - ie search and update. For instance, I copied over 400 DVD's when the HDD structure was to place all iso files under the DVDFab folder. I like the current approach of DVDFab/Movies/Movie Name Folder. If I manually create new folders and move the iso, I would have to manually edit every entry in the database to correct the links. It would be better if MS (or a utility) would search the DB/HDD, determine a link is not correct and then search the HDD for the correct link. Without the full DB use structure, it would be tedious to look for all the necessary entries and then edit manually.

I'd guess there are many users out there who are adept at programming for Android and could create add-ons for MS or help fix problems.

I think it would be wise to have some patience and see what they come up with using the MS Cloud. Hacking the operating code for the box is really not recommended, it would be difficult or impossible to provide support for boxes running with 3rd party code.

Have you tried using the refresh button on the html page? This will rescan your library and correct any faulty paths or links.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-011 refresh html.png
Views:	90
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	343896

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks Signals. The button does help to a point. I have created new folders and copied an iso into the folders and it did correct the link. But with over 400 movies, it is tedious and time consuming to manually change everything.

As for MS Cloud, I have hesitated to comment until it is more mature. I have serious reservations about Cloud, because I often do not have internet access. If MS will still work without internet and only uses the cloud for Meta Info, it may not be an issue, especially with DVDs. The problem is no one is clarifying all the issues for us.

As for hacking, the whole point of asking for information is to avoid hacking. I am not suggesting we root the box and tamper with the base code. Its fairly obvious MS is using VidOn XBMC/MS server database or portions of them at least in the database. There are many add ons for VidOn. Will they work with MS? We can just try them and see or simply ask for access. As near as I can tell, all the data (names, posters, path, etc.) is stored in the database in the MS local storage. If we know what fields and tables are used for various purposes, we can directly change the data for a desired function. This does not alter the code. For instance, if we know that fields in 2 tables are used to show a poster and to list episodes, an external program could just change the value in the data field to correct errors or output. The only way to interfere with the operating code would be to alter the DB structure, not raw data. Why not allow users to help improve MS and find problems fixes? Many of us that bought MS early have already been acting as "beta" testers and would like to have a mature product that is flexible and serves our needs.

Comment

Duane,
        I'm glad this helped to some extent. The MS Cloud is still evolving, and I understand your web availability concerns. As I noted, the MS staff has been expanded and I think can find a way to make this work for users without the internal tinkering being necessary (many users could not even attempt it). They all have a strong dedication to the product and will be glad to have your feedback, it is considered very valuable and none of it is overlooked, I can assure you.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

There will be some additional guidelines and information posted to help accomplish what you wish. A version of VidOn XBMC is also being prepared for the MS.

Comment

Thank you Signals. I'll look forward to the info. In my youth, I coded in assembler and other languages and hardware work, encryption and database work as well. When something doesn't work, I have a tendency to snoop and try to figure it out. I'll try to be patient. Thanks for the help and comments.

Comment

Duane S said "As for MS Cloud, I have hesitated to comment until it is more mature. I have serious reservations about Cloud, because I often do not have internet access. If MS will still work without internet and only uses the cloud for Meta Info, it may not be an issue, especially with DVDs. The problem is no one is clarifying all the issues for us."

I totally agree with Duane as I feel MS should be able to work without internet access and that Meta Info for programs on the HHD need to be stored on that HHD. Once the HHD is full it no longer needs to have updated information to the Meta information already confirmed or added by the user to the HHD database. Having the MS always searching through already corrected movie information leads to the MS changing information or deleting user entered information and kicking unknown movies to the video section with greyed out information. Also films that are not in the online movie database are constantly kicked back to the video section with the user added information and artwork deleted.

Regarding this constant searching I have had the problem of the MS on reboot changing the information and art work of movies with similar titles. I seems MS seems to look at the online database and change the movie name to the most recent movie with the same or similar name. Very annoying and this could probably get worse if all the HHD information is stored on the cloud and not on the HHD local database. In the future without cloud support by DVDFab that would mean the MS would be almost useless. Information needs to be stored locally to make this a standalone product.

Comment

SFMike
                You have expressed your opinion about this in another thread already, please to don't try to take over someone else's thread to beat the drum again, this is called a thread hijack and is against the rules here.

Comment

Sorry, not trying to hijack Duane's comments, just add to his comment on use of the cloud. Used to beta test and get into details. I'll be more careful in the future.

Comment

It's OK, I realize you and others feel strongly about this and feedback is always welcome, just in the correct place.

Comment

Working...
                    X