New to MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS

Hi, I've been using DVDFAB for years and just purchased the Movie Server. I have an 8tb harddrive to use in it but am wondering is there anything special I need to do to it so it is ready to use or can I just copy everything from the external drive I have hooked up to my tv and be ready to go? Thank you.
    Last edited by jimczyz; 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM.

The optimum setup would be if you have an ethernet connection for the DMS box, then put the blank drive in it and allow the box to format it. You can then load the drive up over the share from a connected PC. The box prefers EXT4 formatted drives but they are not acceptable to windows. The alternative, if you will have wifi networking, is to format the drive using NTFS partitions and load it up that way.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Also, assuming you kept upgrading your current copy of DVDfab and you are using DVDfab 10. You will need that version with the movie server.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Can I assume I can copy all my movies and shows onto the new drive before my Movie Server gets here?

Comment

Well, my laptop will not see the 8tb of space, moot point until I figure this out.

Comment

So I'm running into a problem here. Seagate 8TB HDD only shows 1307.91GB and everything I've tried doesn't work. If I let the server box format it, how do I get everything from my other drive onto it if windows don't like ext4?

Comment

If your Windows based system is only seeing the drive as 1.3TB then you are using the older MBR partition table rather than the newer GPT type. You can change this in Windows however you will lose everything on the disk if you already have stuff on it. Info is here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx however the best option would be to insert the disk directly into the Media Server and format it in there as EXT4 and then transfer the files over SMB file share.

John

Comment

jimczyc,
                This is an issue that every DMS users faces, the optimum solution that I suggested and that my friend weehappypixie echoed is to format the drive EXT4 in the DMS itself and leave it there. You can then transfer the files over ethernet from your PC either from existing records or directly from within DVDFab. Ethernet is recommended to accomplish this, wifi is too slow. Other solutions are possible but will depend on your present setup and how you network the DMS, and how many and how often you will be adding new content.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for your help. Not to be a pain but could I also have a friend format my new drive and transfer everything onto it for me so I can just load it in the box when it gets here?

Comment

Originally posted by jimczyz View Post
                    Thank you for your help. Not to be a pain but could I also have a friend format my new drive and transfer everything onto it for me so I can just load it in the box when it gets here?
                    Sorry, I did not understand what you mean. friend format?
                    sorry for my poor english

Comment

the drive needs to be formatted before you can use it. I got it taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                      X