samba failing to mount directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking samba failing to mount directory

I am trying to get samba working on my network. samba is started in advanced settings. I have tried using the instructions in tips for dvdfab 10 but get an error message "failed to mount the directory" when I try to connect. I have my movies stored on a secondary drive called storage 10tb (G and I would like to access them using the movie server without having to copy them to the movie servers HDD

Hi pacman,
    A little more information please: Is this an ethernet network? What version of Windows do you have? Is the G: drive set up as a shared resource?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

hi signals
      it is a Ethernet network. I am using windows 10 home version 1709. the g drive has not been set up as a shared drive but the movies folder on the g drive has been shared.however the path starts from the \\desktop and is not recognized by the host computer

Comment

even with the g drive shared i still cannot get the directory to mount. I have 2 pcs with the latest version of dvdfab installed. both can write to the movie server or drag and drop using explorer after mapping the network drives ( I have 4 hard disk drives in my computers + 1 in the Movie server. can anyone tell me the correct format for writing to the shared folder directory. also I am not using a username and password, is this a requirement for the movie server?

Comment

anyone successfully used samba? how did you set it up?

Comment

I was able to figure out why it wasn't working I had the "failed to mount the directory" error, my Samba share is now up and running with 1075 movies.
            I am an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) (I don't work for MS so please don't attack me as if I do) and this one took a lot of time to figure out but it is a simple fix once you realize Microsoft messed this up by removing SMB from the OS in Windows Versions 1709 and above.

Problem….DVDFab Movie Server cannot connect to Windows 10 Shared Folder to access Movies
            Prerequisite: This applies to Windows 10 Version 1709 or higher
            To Check you Windows 10 Version, go to Control Panel then System look for About button.

If you know your passwords and names you can skip down to the section in BOLD to simply add SMBv1 to your Windows 10 operating system.
            1. What you will need….
            1. The Password you use logon to Windows 10 (You account password) If you don’t have one you will need to create a password. (I recommend NOT using MSN to logon just create a local password)
            2. The User Account name in Windows 10 (Click START then Click the three bars at top look down for account name)
            3. Create a Folder (If you don’t already have one)
            4. IP Address of your Windows 10 machine (Don’t confuse this with the IP address of the DVDFab Movie Server.
            5. A Folder you want to Share to your DVDFab Movie Server
            Getting Started….
            1. Right Click on the Folder you want to share to DVDFab Movie Server
            2. Click Properties
            3. Click Share (Make sure your account name is listed if not add it)
            4. Click Advanced then Permissions
            5. Again, make sure your Account name is in the list.
            6. I check all the checkboxes but you can check only CHANGE and READ if you want more security.
            Setting up DVDFab Movie Server to connect to Windows 10 machines SHARED FOLDER
            Let’s say you have a Shared Folder name “MM” that stands for My Movies
            The Screen Shot below is from the Tips and Tricks posted by DVDFab
            [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
            First check Windows Network (SMB)
            IP Address (IP Address of your Windows 10 PC)
            Shared Folder…. simply put “MM” in this field (My example is “MM”)
            User Name: Windows 10 User account name here
            Password: Windows 10 password you use to login to Windows 10

Problem: Issue with Windows 10 1709 or higher you still cannot connect to the Shared Folder.
            SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, version 1709
            Resolution: Click on Start Button…. Type Turn “Windows Features On or Off”
            At the top of the list click on the one that says Control Panel underneath should be on the top.
            Now locate the 2 features shown in the screenshot below
            1. Simple Network Management Protocol (SMTP) and check the box
            2. SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box
            3. Click OK… close any open files before you restart

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png[/IMG]
            You should now be able to connect!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigP3 View Post
              I was able to figure out why it wasn't working I had the "failed to mount the directory" error, my Samba share is now up and running with 1075 movies.
              I am an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) (I don't work for MS so please don't attack me as if I do) and this one took a lot of time to figure out but it is a simple fix once you realize Microsoft messed this up by removing SMB from the OS in Windows Versions 1709 and above.

Problem….DVDFab Movie Server cannot connect to Windows 10 Shared Folder to access Movies
              Prerequisite: This applies to Windows 10 Version 1709 or higher
              To Check you Windows 10 Version, go to Control Panel then System look for About button.

If you know your passwords and names you can skip down to the section in BOLD to simply add SMBv1 to your Windows 10 operating system.
              1. What you will need….
              1. The Password you use logon to Windows 10 (You account password) If you don’t have one you will need to create a password. (I recommend NOT using MSN to logon just create a local password)
              2. The User Account name in Windows 10 (Click START then Click the three bars at top look down for account name)
              3. Create a Folder (If you don’t already have one)
              4. IP Address of your Windows 10 machine (Don’t confuse this with the IP address of the DVDFab Movie Server.
              5. A Folder you want to Share to your DVDFab Movie Server
              Getting Started….
              1. Right Click on the Folder you want to share to DVDFab Movie Server
              2. Click Properties
              3. Click Share (Make sure your account name is listed if not add it)
              4. Click Advanced then Permissions
              5. Again, make sure your Account name is in the list.
              6. I check all the checkboxes but you can check only CHANGE and READ if you want more security.
              Setting up DVDFab Movie Server to connect to Windows 10 machines SHARED FOLDER
              Let’s say you have a Shared Folder name “MM” that stands for My Movies
              The Screen Shot below is from the Tips and Tricks posted by DVDFab
              [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
              First check Windows Network (SMB)
              IP Address (IP Address of your Windows 10 PC)
              Shared Folder…. simply put “MM” in this field (My example is “MM”)
              User Name: Windows 10 User account name here
              Password: Windows 10 password you use to login to Windows 10

Problem: Issue with Windows 10 1709 or higher you still cannot connect to the Shared Folder.
              SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, version 1709
              Resolution: Click on Start Button…. Type Turn “Windows Features On or Off”
              At the top of the list click on the one that says Control Panel underneath should be on the top.
              Now locate the 2 features shown in the screenshot below
              1. Simple Network Management Protocol (SMTP) and check the box
              2. SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and check the box
              3. Click OK… close any open files before you restart

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Craig/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png[/IMG]
              You should now be able to connect!
              Thanks for your tutorial.This is because Hisilicon smb library does not support smb2.0. We are trying to upgrade smb client version, which takes some time.

Comment

success
                thankyou CraigP3
                I would never shoot the messenger. the answer is always easy when you know how, it is like a mechanic using the correct tool for the job it makes life so much easier
                I guess the next step is how to save the connection details for later use, the connection is not automatically saved perhaps dvdfab technicians can work on it
                again thankyou and not working for Microsoft is something you can say with honour and pride

Comment

Working...
                X