Cannot add media content to media library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot add media content to media library

When I go to the MS manager web page and click on edit to add folders to scan for media I just get the spinning wheel and nothing appears to add my network or usb drives. Hence I'm unable to add any content. The wheel just keep on turning. Is this a known issue with the new firmware?

It is not clear to me whether this is actually the 1012 firmware or an ongoing server/database issue. The developers are working on the reported issues and hope to have a solution before the upcoming Chinese holiday. Sorry for the inconvenience. Mine works well enough that I have retained the 1012 firmware and all the new things in the changelog, but if yours is not, you may wish to temporarily revert to the v1010 firmware.

Caution: do not use the Settings->Factory Reset or the reset button on the rear of the unit in an attempt to correct this.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I'm definitly looking forward to see how the local file path is realized technically....

By having the library in the cloud and having the editing done in the cloud how will addition of new source paths work. For people having their media on a NAS which is in their local network how will you be able to add the source through the cloud. This should only work when :
      1. you login into your cloud account (to be in the cloud editor)
      2. you add a local path (for example your shared folder on a NAS) which will have to actually go from your MS locally to your NAS within your Network
      3. the content (ie naming) of the files in your shared folder are stored temporary on the MS
      4. the file names + shared folder path is replicated in the cloud database
      5. the file names are scrapped
      6. the findings are sent back to your MS and stored locally

Just understand that some/many of the DMS buyers already have a library stored and organized. People were not waiting on DVDfab to have their libraries organized with their own naming conventions, with their own artworks and their own filing/library categorization logic. The one size fits all with fixed categorization and fixed/imposed naming conventions will not work for these users !!

Once your "cloud based system" works it will be only fully beneficial for people who start their video library and rip everything directly to the MS with your DVDfab suite but that's about it.

Seriously....shifting with OTA updates all MS's to your cloud just without testing your server capacities and having beta testers doing it before to iron out bugs is plain frightening. People with large libraries have spend A LOT of time to have it organized like they want...

Ah and BTW when the path to the shared folder gets replicated I would be curious to know how it get's replicated as for it to work the link if in UNC will have to contain username and password.....but that I think is another story.

LONG STORY SHORT : Keep local editing possible

As a joke : you should maybe change your marketing for the DMS. With what you are doing (cloud) it should not be advertized as :

"The DVDFab Movie Server is the ultimate 4K multimedia solution for managing and playback of your movie files."

but

"The DVDFab Movie Server is the ultimate 4K by DVDFab managed multimedia solution for playback of your movie files."
      Last edited by eddysback; 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

True findings eddysback, post is clear, it shouldn't be ignored. There is a new update down the pike this week from what I read, hopefully they are listening!
        Last edited by Down2Earth; 02-06-2018, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post
          (...) hopefully they are listening!
          They dont seem to and quite frankly I fear they won't.

Somebody has decided this is the route the product will take... end of the story.

It's DVDfab's product and naturally they can do with it what they please.

What is really unprofessionnal though is the way the whole thing was implemented and ultimately "imposed" (OTA firmware upgrade)

Remember back some months ?

- there were "local firmwares"...the last being the 1.0.1.0 (which was really coming good) and then the whole cloud madness started (1.0.1.1). Feedback to the 1.0.1.1 was not really overwhelming and unfortunately clearly most users still don't realize what it means to work with a cloud based system. The cloud (ie your account) will, going forward, hold any user's information on :

1. all movies and genres of movies, videos users watch,
          2. user's watching habits (ie what you are watching and when)
          3. user's internal file paths (if your movie is stored on a NAS at home the path to it contains either it's IP, naming and/or your username & password you use to access the share)

which is fine if one can live with it.

And most importantly

4. the users will be able to edit their library ONLY through the cloud editor IN the cloud....

And as the desastrous migration has shown ...

1. whenever the dvdfab server is/will be overloaded/unavailable : no cloud library access (if it's before your library was synchronized : you have nothing with 1.0.1.2 and if it's after your library was synchronized you will be stuck with the local image of your cloud library) and of course no further editing ability
          2. if by bad luck dvdfab access would be restricted in a copy-sensitive country or worse dvdfab gets chased as slysoft was : no more editing and MS features

BUT

The whole situation still is very interesting from a business perspective because :

I have never experienced a company, launching a new product (which was so promising), which can take so much heat of it's unhappy client base because it's in fact changing advertized product abilities, then just stubbornly sticks to the plan, pushes the whole thing through and ultimatively then so much screws up a completely unprepared launch ... and will end up being successfull with the product. I'm really eager to see where this will end up.

Another interesting thing is to see if one cloud based scrapping/editing platform will be able to reproduce correctly all the thousands of different movies, movie version and languages there is, and will be able to please the taste of all users who are used to their library logic, their naming conventions and..and...and...

Finally : the only good (and actually funny thing) there is right now is that everybody is gently "invited" to roll back to 1.0.1.0 .....
          Last edited by eddysback; 02-06-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X