Any tips for a new movie server owner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips for a new movie server owner?

Hi, I just unboxed my first DVD Fab movie server.

I wonder if there are any tips or suggestions in terms of dealing with storage, getting movies on the server, etc...?

For example, I was thinking I might just store all the ISO's on my server, and access them over the network but I just plugged in DMS and it appears to _need_ a hard drive. Is that the case? that it always needs an internal drive? Would it work with _Just_ an external drive instead? If I throw in a lower capacity internal drive, like a 500GB, can I then use it to show files from my server?

Also wondering if there are any suggestions for drive formatting if it's going to be used by a windows server - Can I format an external USB NTFS and just plug it into my server to populate, then disconnect from my server, and connect the USB drive to my DVD Fab server?

Hi,

While I installed a hard drive into my Movie Server I keep my movies on a Synology NAS unit.

The Movie Server seems to have no problems playing movies from the NAS.

While I am still getting up to speed on the Movie Server so far I am very pleased.

Frederick

Comment

Jack,
      I would offer the following suggestions.
      If you will be using ethernet, you can write processed movies directly from within DVDFab. This does not work well with wifi with the current hardware and firmware.
      You can tell the box to look for any existing servers you may have on the same network.
      If you put a 2-4TB drive in the box, you will be able to store enough movies to make it useful away from your network.
      If you are using wifi networking, you will probably want to put movies on the drive directly by connecting it to your PC, which means the drives should be formatted by the PC (NTFS), not by the Android OS in the DMS (Windows won't be able to read it).

Hope you enjoy using it. There will be additional new firmware releases after the developers return from the Chinese Spring Festival holiday.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Great thanks! I've got it hard wired with gigabit ethernet.
        Mine is showing version 1.1.1 I thought I saw there was a 1.something.12 recently, but when I checked there were no updates - do they disable auto updates during holidays?
        I threw in a 500gb drive for the short term and am watching for sales on 8TB drives.
        Really nice UI so far, and I can't wait until my first test ISO rip finishes copying to the server so I can check out the menus.

Comment

take it from me, you will need a lot of patience.
          Viking lost down under

Comment

Working...
          X