Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please add digital coaxial output support to next Movie Server hardware upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please add digital coaxial output support to next Movie Server hardware upgrade.

I have an old DTS receiver which only have digital coaxial support.

Originally posted by Little fruit fly View Post
    I have an old DTS receiver which only have digital coaxial support.
    It would be better in the long run for you to upgrade your receiver for the same cost or little more than the price of a new Media Server. With a newer receiver that supports HDMI you'll have the ability to run all your devices through it instead of having to search for older devices to run through your older receiver. Also, optical/coaxial connections do not support anything greater than 5.1 Dolby formats IIRC.

Comment

You can find inexpensive optical->coaxial adapters by the ton on ebay, you might try that.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        You can find inexpensive optical->coaxial adapters by the ton on ebay, you might try that.

I just browse the bay, it offers mostly optical to analog coaxial, not digital coaxial, I want to preserve the signal not downgrade to analog.

Comment

Originally posted by duc135@gmail.com View Post

It would be better in the long run for you to upgrade your receiver for the same cost or little more than the price of a new Media Server. With a newer receiver that supports HDMI you'll have the ability to run all your devices through it instead of having to search for older devices to run through your older receiver. Also, optical/coaxial connections do not support anything greater than 5.1 Dolby formats IIRC.

I have newer receivers which support optical and HDMI, but I want to take the Media Server to the basement and use it with this old receiver. It was the first high end receiver with DTS support back in late 90s, don't want to throw it away since it costs like $3900 back then.

Comment

Try this one for less than $10 shipped, there are plenty of others https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSlink-Opt...311487768387?_

**Not to be construed as an endorsement by DVDFab.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by Little fruit fly View Post

I have newer receivers which support optical and HDMI, but I want to take the Media Server to the basement and use it with this old receiver. It was the first high end receiver with DTS support back in late 90s, don't want to throw it away since it costs like $3900 back then.
              Do you you already have the current version of the Media Server and looking to upgrade to a new version if it has digital coax output? Or do you not have one yet and would like to buy one if it had this feature? If it's the former then you'd be wasting money investing on an upgrade to support an old, outdated receiver.

Spending $3900 in the 90s doesn't mean it's still worth keeping if you need to constantly buy older technology to be able to use it. My first hard drive purchased back in the 80s was a couple thousand dollars. I'm not going to look around for equipment in hopes of being able to use it even though it was still working when I retired it. Technology advances and entry level products of today are usually far better than top of the line products from the 90s. A new AVR with 4K passthrough and room EQ can easily be had for $250 or so.

The current Media Server is $300. Who knows what the next version will be if one is even released. With all the uproar about the current unit being more useful as a paperweight than an actual media player I'm not sure how well they are selling if at all anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by duc135@gmail.com View Post

The current Media Server is $300. Who knows what the next version will be if one is even released. With all the uproar about the current unit being more useful as a paperweight than an actual media player I'm not sure how well they are selling if at all anymore.
                Wow, I think people have issues with versions > 1.0.1.0 But on that version I have very little to complain about.
                I love this device. Yes, it has a few quirks. But it seems the development direction may be shifting away from cloud or maybe hybrid that will work in both modes?

With that, we can start getting the few remaining bugs worked out. We can and must hope for this!

Comment

I purchased this device as a pre-order with hopes that it would be a decent player. I've tried every single firmware up until 1.0.1.0. I have yet to use it to watch a complete movie as I have never been able to get it to find all my movies correctly. Ever since the move to the cloud it literally is just lying in a pile of unused hardware in my home office. I check these forums daily in hopes of reading about a working local firmware release. For now, I just use an Intel NUC + Kodi or the actual physical discs. If nothing gets resolved by the time the Zidoo x20 is released I may get that unit instead of trying to get this unit to work.

Comment

Sorry you are having such troubles.
                    The X20 does have a much faster cpu and I LOVE the HDMI IN. Logical steps for a next gen Movie Server.

Anyway, better specs don't always make for better products. The ISO support on the Movie server is better than all other devices I gave tried so far. Don't want to name other products here.

Also the X20 is vapor ware at the moment and is also looking to be in the $500 range. I would like PLEX server support in a future product. But that is a huge ask.

I also already use the Movie Server as my PLEX media storage. However, I still need a PC to Serve content. Hardly ever use this. But nice on vacation. No ISO support of course.

Comment

Thanks for the input Gamer. The X20 is slated to be released sometime this month according to the various other forums. I'm actually interested in the Pro version for the additional memory and built in storage. ISO support on this Movie Server is decent at best, but support is critical to me as all my rips are full ISO's as I prefer to have full menu support as well as be able to watch the extras included on the discs. I've been burned once already on this Movie Server so will wait on actual reviews of the X20 before I bite.

Still hoping they resolve the majority of the big issues with this Movie Server though. Hopefully the supposed new management, team and direction they reported to have will remove the reliance on the cloud. I have over 1000 movies (all ISOs) on my 80TB NAS.

Comment

I will remind everyone that this is a support forum for DVDFab products. I think we have heard enough in this thread about other products.

Comment

Working...
                        X