Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Word on when this whole mess will function properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Word on when this whole mess will function properly?

I have spent the day copying Emergency! Season 1 and partially Season 2 to the server. Now they have disappeared! They show on the server, for some reason one shows as a show called Chiefs. However, when I try to use my browser to edit them, THEY ARE NOT SHOWING ANYWHERE! I have been fighting this all day and extremely frustrated. One entire disc disappeared. Oh wait, it copies the season in one BIG file.

A year ago, I thought the DMS was the answer I had been seeking, now I find it is full of frustrations.

Why can we not access the server directly through our browser via network connections?

I had to format my HDD through the server. It used a file format that my computer will not recognize if I plug it into a dock. So that is out.

Now I can find videos through the video tab (which is not available through accessing the server via the browser.) Why are you making this so difficult?

Why can we not just copy an ISO directly from our computer to the server via a network (like moving files on the computer in Windows explorer)? Instead we have to repeatedly move the same file through DVDFAB. Once I can do, repeatedly is unacceptable.

I have found no way to edit movies through the server itself even though I swear the latest update displayed on the screen we could.

It appears that in protecting your rice bowl, we are being restricted and having to fight to do anything, the hard way, to make this device work.

Heaven forbid if you decide to put a movie up that is unique or not in the database, you cannot use custom posters.

Cannot update posters on movies it can't identify, it won't pull custom posters off my computer. I have had rotating circles over several for WEEKS! They never go away.

Also why can't we subscribe to this thread? It gives an error, even there!

Comment

Never mind, the server handled this for me. It lost them ALL, everything, 60+ movies, several seasons of other shows, basically everything I had done with this HDD, see my next post.

Comment

"I had to format my HDD through the server. It used a file format that my computer will not recognize if I plug it into a dock. So that is out."

You can format the hard drive on your PC as NTFS and then insert the drive into the unit. It will work using that format. If you format using the built in function, it is formatted as LINUX (not sure if EXT3 or 4), however, it appears to be an odd version of LINUX formatting as non of my LINUX machines will read it.

"Why can we not just copy an ISO directly from our computer to the server via a network (like moving files on the computer in Windows explorer)? Instead we have to repeatedly move the same file through DVDFAB. Once I can do, repeatedly is unacceptable"

You can. I access the MS directly from my PC frequently. It shows up under network as "ANDROID_XXX" (where XXXX appears to be part of the MAC address)., assuming it is on the same network as the PC.

Comment

The best practice for drives >2TB is to change the partition on the disc to GPT and then format it with NTFS. This will allow the drive to be read on the DMS as well as your PC. Note that this will delete everything on the disc, so copy the content to another drive first to preserve it.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by tbrown25 View Post

You can format the hard drive on your PC as NTFS and then insert the drive into the unit. It will work using that format. If you format using the built in function, it is formatted as LINUX (not sure if EXT3 or 4), however, it appears to be an odd version of LINUX formatting as non of my LINUX machines will read it.

You can. I access the MS directly from my PC frequently. It shows up under network as "ANDROID_XXX" (where XXXX appears to be part of the MAC address)., assuming it is on the same network as the PC.
            No I cannot. IF I format through my computer and then put it into the server, the server says it cannot recognize it. I must reformat and it only gives me the choice of GPT. Nothing else to format to. I have tried multiple ways to format it with my computer and each time, it will not recognize it unless I let the server format it.I have tried many times and lost many movies. I filled it with my computer only to have the server say it cannot recognize the HDD. If I format in the server, the computer will not recognize it.

My computer and my server are on the same network, yet my ANDROID_XXX says it is not accessible. I was finally able to map a drive to my DVDFab folder on the computer and have that going.

Now I get new problems. Big surprise.

I have movies showing on the server (with no poster, in the Videos section. WIllie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Lethal Weapon 4, The Star, 101 Dalamatians, and the list continues. I access the server through my browser to edit these to get them to display properly, and they do not show in the browser as being available. Not in videos, not in movies, and not in TV. Cannot see them. I can access them through Windows Explorer (finally) and they show there, they show there (sans poster and in the wrong place) but I cannot edit them to move them and give them a poster.

The list continues.to grow with the problems. I have spent the week rebuilding my library on this HDD and still cannot get it right because the server and the browser (where you have to edit the posters, etc) still cannot show the exact same stuff. Not to mention I have two discs of Season 1 of Jonny Quest that show no place but going to the Sata 1 itself and seeing the files to play. Jonny Quest showed up as movies or shows called COW. Go figure.

When I make updates in the browser, they do not get reflected on the server. I don't mean within minutes, I mean within days. I make a change to Miracle Landing, I get Robin William's Moscow on the Hudson. Had to play with that a long time to get it to change to the movie about the top of the plane coming off in the Hawaiian Islands.

I am happy to say it is finally allowing custom posters, but it seems only for those movies it has.
            Last edited by stitch0852; 05-04-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              The best practice for drives >2TB is to change the partition on the disc to GPT and then format it with NTFS. This will allow the drive to be read on the DMS as well as your PC. Note that this will delete everything on the disc, so copy the content to another drive first to preserve it.
              Thank you, a great answer, albeit, I didn't see it until I have a boat load of movies and tv series back on it. Now that I can finally access it through Explorer, it is much better and I copy a bunch of movies to a different HDD in a dock. Then over night, I upload them to the server while sleeping, through Explorer.

Comment

Glad to hear that it is working for you, the DMS really should come with a tutorial on drive issues since they can be highly variable and have a large impact on how easy the DMS is to use.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                X