Movie server at 1 year and 1031 impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie server at 1 year and 1031 impressions

Today marks 1 year since I received my movie server. I was about to relegate the unit to my "Closet of Shame", where I keep antiquated electronics that are now useless or devices that never worked right to begin with, when an OTA update 1031 appeared on my media server screen. I figures what the heck, let's give it a try. So far, I am impressed with the update. It is a vast improvement over recent updates and, in some ways, an improvement even over version 1010.

While the update did not go terribly smoothly (had many problems getting the unit to authenticate and when I finally did, got a screen telling me it was updating the database that stayed there for 12+hour before I finally gave in and re-booted in spite of the warning not to) when I got the unit back up I was pleased to see almost all items had scraped correctly. I had only 3 movies that did not scrape to anything at all.

I corrected those 3 movies using the local editing function in the DMS itself. This is absolutely the right way to go. Being able to edit/correct data directly in the unit without the need to log into a very slow and problematic WEB based system was fantastic. I look forward to this function being extended to TV shows in future release. The only complaint I had is that the edited movies appear in the "all" section at the beginning of the list, rather than sorted alphabetically with the other items. Since I had only 3 to correct, this was not a big deal, but I can see if there were a lot of edits, this could be very annoying.

I was also very pleased to see that one can now read the entire plot of a movie rather than the short bit that fits on the initial screen. This worked when I first got the DMS, but that ability disappeared shortly after. Only one minor suggestion on that. The names of actors don't always fit in the provided space. Making those name fields scroll would be a nice addition. But that is a very minor issue to me,

Playback seems smoother to me and, maybe it's just my imagination, but the colors seem bolder than they did under 1010.

I have experienced one issue with movies. For Blu-ray disks with DTS-HD sound tracks, I frequently get no sound. Selecting an alternate audio track and then re-selecting the DTS track corrects the problem. I did not see this issue under 1010..If you have any suggestions, please pass them on.

Overall, I am please with the new firmware. and hope that this trend continues. Guess the unit will stay out of my closet of shame for awhile longer....

Thanks for the feedback, see the Development Update sticky in this forum to see what is in the works currently.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I want to say : thanks very much for your feedback !

While the update did not go terribly smoothly (had many problems getting the unit to authenticate and when I finally did, got a screen telling me it was updating the database that stayed there for 12+hour before I finally gave in and re-booted in spite of the warning not to) when I got the unit back up I was pleased to see almost all items had scraped correctly. I had only 3 movies that did not scrape to anything at all.
      About this section, what your mean is DMS spend 12+ hours to scrape all of your movies, I think this is too slow, maybe have some problem, how many movies and tv in your library ?

The only complaint I had is that the edited movies appear in the "all" section at the beginning of the list, rather than sorted alphabetically with the other items. Since I had only 3 to correct, this was not a big deal, but I can see if there were a lot of edits, this could be very annoying
      ok, I will check this problem

Playback seems smoother to me and, maybe it's just my imagination, but the colors seem bolder than they did under 1010.
      Maybe you can adjust this part in Settings, and find one is best suitable for you.

I have experienced one issue with movies. For Blu-ray disks with DTS-HD sound tracks, I frequently get no sound. Selecting an alternate audio track and then re-selecting the DTS track corrects the problem. I did not see this issue under 1010..If you have any suggestions, please pass them on.
      Can you give me one or more problem Blu-ray disks source name, so I can try to test it .

Thanks again

Comment

About this section, what your mean is DMS spend 12+ hours to scrape all of your movies, I think this is too slow, maybe have some problem, how many movies and tv in your library ?

After authentication, a screen came up saying it was building the database and to not turn off the media server. There was the DVDFAB monkey icon with a spinning circle around it. This screen stayed up with the spinning circle overnight. At this point I decided to reboot dispite the warning message. It appears it was finished scraping but just didn't exit the screen..I have maybe 150 files on the server.

Can you give me one or more problem Blu-ray disks source name, so I can try to test it .

"Alice in Wonderland", "The Incredibles", Harry Potter blu rays, Pirates of the Caribbean blu rays. Pretty much any blu ray with a DTS-HD audio track...

Comment

Well ting, mine takes up to 12 +, but I have 900 movies and around 230 TV series. I would love to have it quicker, but as they say if I had to do it manually it would take me months. So I'm not complaining.
          Viking lost down under

Comment

Working...
          X