Identification of attached USB drives/ partitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identification of attached USB drives/ partitions

Am I the only one to be experiencing serious problems with the naming of USB drives/ partitions attached to the server. I had visions of connecting my USB drives to the server and have about 18TB of video available to the database function. Unfortunately the identification of the drives/ partitions has not gone beyond the “native” system which allocates identifiers to them each time the server is booted. This results in different names being allocated to the drives/ partitions each time and the addresses therefore not being recognised by the server’s database. Has anyone devised a “getaround” for this or will we get a solution in some distant upgrade?

There is no reason you may not be able to do this a future update, not sure about 'distant'. Sorry it presented a problem for you.When posting about the DMS, please choose the thread prefix that shows your firmware version or nature of the problem, the correct person will be able to respond more quickly.

Also, if you are using a translator to produce english text, please set to use Tahoma or Verdana font and a size of 12pt. You original post was almost impossible to read. I corrected it this time.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

It might be related to this, but I am having trouble connecting USB drives to the Movie Server

A Samsung D3 3TB USB drive is not recognised at all (works perfectly with my PC)
      A Maxtor D3 5TB USB drive is not recognised at all (works perfectly with my PC).
      A Samsung STORY 1.5TB USB drive is recognised.
      Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 2TB and 3TB 3 1/2" drives all work in an Orico USB SATA caddy

I have an internal 8TB Seagate Ironwolf which works perfectly, but I had planned to double that to 16TB by adding a 5TB and 3TB USB drives. Clearly I was foolish to think plugging a USB external drive into a USB connector on the DMS might actually work..

All disks are formatted as NTFS.

Comment

SaturnV, please start a new thread with your problem. Check the partition styles on the drives that will not work, see if that is the variable.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by wasim27488 View Post
          Am I the only one to be experiencing serious problems with the naming of USB drives/ partitions attached to the server. I had visions of connecting my USB drives to the server and have about 18TB of video available to the database function. Unfortunately the identification of the drives/ partitions has not gone beyond the “native” system which allocates identifiers to them each time the server is booted. This results in different names being allocated to the drives/ partitions each time and the addresses therefore not being recognised by the server’s database. Has anyone devised a “getaround” for this or will we get a solution in some distant upgrade?
          hi, We are working for this.

DMS cannot control the identifiers which allocated by the system, but will identifie the USB disk, so the video files in the USB disk will be correctly import to library

Comment

DVDFab Movie Server 1.0.3.0.8. Windows 10. Maybe I am not making myself clear. When I boot up (say in a morning after the server has been switched off overnight), the disks are allocated a name by the system. My disks/ partitions are called JBA_HDD7 and HDD9. JBA_HDD7 is given the name sda1 and sda2 is given to JBA_HDD9. My movie files are under folder names Films6 on JBA_HDD7 and Films8 on JBA_HDD9. The DMS locates the movies and gives them a long address including sda1 and sda2. When I reboot, the disks/ partitions are given names sdb1 and sdb2. The addresses, however, are not changed and are therefore wrong. This means that the library has to be re-scanned to be corrected. This is really tiresome, especially as all the original inaccuracies which I have spent hours correcting manually get repeated. That is apart from the time delays involved in the process of re-scanning.
            Is it likely that this problem will be addressed in a future update?

Comment

Working...
            X