Registration for two devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Registration for two devices

Looking to possibly run one of these in another location at home and wanted to see if I could re-use my existing software registration on the device or if it would mess things up.

***************************NOTE******************* ****
    This post contains information for DVDFab NOT the DMS. Please scroll down to post #11 and read the rest of the way for good information. Sorry for the confusion.

You can do that but you will have to Deauthorize the one you are using now before authorizing the other one. Use the controls in the DVDFab Settings menu as shown below. You can also purchase additional authorizations ( 3 or 5) from within your Member Center account if you don't want the hassle of switching your single authorization back and forth.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1-011 AUTHORIZEMGR.png Views:	2 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	371784

Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Do I read this correctly, or am I misunderstanding something? In case you can't tell, this has made me angry. YOU CAN'T PENALISE LOYAL CUSTOMERS BY EFFECTIVELY CHARGING THEM MORE FOR THEIR SECOND DMS THAN THE FIRST COST, BY HAVING TO PURCHASE ANOTHER AUTHORISATION!

Comment

Why would you have to do anything just to move a Movie Server from one place to another? I've moved mine to different rooms without doing anything. Just move it.

Comment

The way I am reading it I think he wants 2 movie servers but asking if the second one can be used with the same username and password that was used to register
          the original? and if it would cause issues if doing this....Signals picture shows dvdfab 10 loaded on computer, and you dont need this to run a movie server, You just need a
          registered account

Thats how it comes across to me.........If not i'll get me coat lol

Comment

The reason I ask is I can not seem to find a place to purchase just the movie server on the dvdfab website. It seems to always be bundled with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie113 View Post
              The reason I ask is I can not seem to find a place to purchase just the movie server on the dvdfab website. It seems to always be bundled with the software.
              The DVDFab Movie Server can be purchased here without being bundled with additional software...
              DVDFab Movie Server is the ultimate managing and playback solution for your multimedia contents at home. It features native navigation menu support on DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays, all-format high definition audio support, exclusive poster wall, smart media managing and searching, native HDR10 support, and many more. Time-limited special discounts on this widely popular 4K UHD Player. Don't miss out!

Comment

Originally posted by jkadlec View Post

The DVDFab Movie Server can be purchased here without being bundled with additional software...
                https://www.dvdfab.cn/movie-server.htm
                Wow, totally missed that link

Comment

Originally posted by SaturnV View Post
                  Do I read this correctly, or am I misunderstanding something? In case you can't tell, this has made me angry. YOU CAN'T PENALISE LOYAL CUSTOMERS BY EFFECTIVELY CHARGING THEM MORE FOR THEIR SECOND DMS THAN THE FIRST COST, BY HAVING TO PURCHASE ANOTHER AUTHORISATION!
                  For the life of me I really don't understand why that would make you angry SaturnV, the license is for 1 use and is typical for software installations across almost all software vendors. My Office 2019 Pro installation is for 1 device, which means that I can't install it on another computer in the other room with the same product key. DVDFab set the terms and conditions for the products they create and the license usage and limitations for end users of those products. There are open platform devices that do similar task as the DMS(..streaming Android devices) and are not limited in this way, I've got one, but it doesn't build a poster wall and some of the other proprietary things the DMS does.
                  Signals is merely telling you that you can run only 1 at a time...not 2 simultaneously...unless you buy more licenses.

Comment

In response, what exactly are you buying an extra licence for? Strip out all the confusion and you get the following:

Say a person decides they like the look of the DMS and buys one. This person may have no other DVDFab products. The box arrives, they plug it in, register it and it works (well sort of).

The person likes it and decides to buys a second DMS for a different TV/room in their house and pays the same price as the first DMS. They plug the second DMS in and this time it doesn't work.. Oh no says DVDFab support, you can't use it until you buy a licence for it. There is no mention of having to also buy a licence in the DVDFab store.

Do other people not see a moral and legal issue here? I don't get the argument from Dead Eye that "other software vendors do this" - because we're not buying software, we are buying an all-in-one out-of-the-box movie server! A complete product, not a piece of hardware like a PC that I can choose what operating system I want, or how I want to use it. Were not trying to use the DMS software from the first box on another device, we're buying/licensing two complete DMS servers and all their installed software. In software terms like Dead Eye describes, we've bought a full, second copy of the software but can't use it until you pay an additional fee not mentioned in the sales blurb.

It might only be $30 for extra licences, but that's not the point. You don't have to buy anything extra for the first DMS, it is sold as complete, indivisible product, with all the hardware, software and licenses needed. So if the first includes all you need in the price, why doesn't the second DMS, and why doesn't the sales description tell you before you buy it?

It's the same issue as when I received my DMS - it came with an American power supply. When I asked DVDFab for a UK version I was told "you just have to purchase one"! I wasn't impressed with this hidden expense.

Truth be told, I suspect this is just a goof DVDFab made when they designed the registration process, overlooking a potential market for multiple purchase by the same user. It should be possible to register multiple DMS servers to the same account. I can't see any infringement this might cause to copyright/patent/licenses etc.

To be honest, I don't get why other don't see the moral issue here, or am I still the only one on the high ground?

Rant over.....
                    Last edited by SaturnV; 09-03-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Well, try buying the second one with a different email address!
                      ...oh, and I agree that the registration process should allow for multiple servers but there might be an issue that we haven't thought about as to why that isn't the case. Maybe a revisit of the registration process is required but until the rationale for this limitation is explained we are stuck with it.
                      Last edited by Dead Eye; 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Maybe I am all wrong here, but it looks to me like Signals original response was a misunderstanding.. The instructions he has posted is how to move your DVDFAB software (not the MS) from one computer to another, assuming you have a single license. You can also buy another license at significantly lower cost than the whole package if you want it to run on multiple computers at the same time. This is not an unusual thing in the software world.

The original question from Aggie113 appears to be how to set up a second MS. If you have bought more than one MS, your account should have that info associated with it and logging in with the same account info should cause the second MS to register just like the first. You can then go to settings and change the location of the second one to something different so it can be distinguished from the first on your network.

Comment

Well tbrown25, after reading your response and then re-reading this thread so far I think you're right. I swear there are other users who post here that have multiple servers and I don't recall any issues about licensing being raised.

Comment

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am and Signal's response is probably correct. I had a replacement DMS after a USB port failed on my first, and initially DVDFab were insistent I needed to register the replacement against a different email address - that is until I convinced them to delete the original DMS from my registration. Notice how your registration picks up the warranty date? I suspect this is a one-to-one relationship.

The obvious answer, if you have two, is of course to register a second DMS against another email address - nothing wrong with that from a licencing perspective - but then I don't believe there is any chance DVDFab will talk to the new DMS - not that this is a big loss since I find it easier to rip and manually copy video files across and the automatic registration of a DMS to a your running copy of DVDFab hasn't appeared to work for a very long time. It's really the whole principle that annoys me. I kind of hoped that DVDFab might consider the opportunities of multi-DMS servers and communication between them etc. Most homes have more than one TV and I think they might have missed a trick.

For what it's worth, I currently route the DMS AV output to a modulator which I send around my house on the TV aerial cable. I can watch and control the DMS in any room, albeit at SD quality. Not many modern TVs have analogue TV capability, so these days are numbered. Having to look for modern alternatives for multi-room - perhaps DNLA, but one option is to buy more DMS servers and have a central NAS storing all the media - hence my interest. I actually already have multi DVDFab licences and to be honest I didn't know it applied to DMS servers as well. As I say it's the principle of the whole thing!

Comment

All,
                              Sorry, my earlier post incorrectly referred to DVDFab, not the DMS. You can indeed have multiple DMS units on the same email, but the warranty may not work correctly for the newer unit (but it will register and run normally). I have 2 units and used different emails to register them and I still recommend that. Sorry for the confusion, my fault completely!

For distributing the output wirelessly in HD, you can find 2.4/5.8 GHz HDMI transceiver pairs on ebay that also provide a reverse path for the IR remote. Read the product descriptions carefully, not all of them provide IR relaying back to the base device. Use these search terms on ebay: "wireless hdmi video transmitter receiver"
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X