12TB drive works in DMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12TB drive works in DMS

Hello all, I took a flyer the other day and purchased: Seagate 12TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA 3.5 512E
    I then formatted it (in PC not DMS) and copied all content from my 8TB drive to this one.
    Inserted it into the DMS and it worked... Well, after re-scrapping my collection. The drive path changed to sata2 for this one, as I connected it to the DMS to copy everything.

Anyway, it works as the 8TB drive did.
    I can play anything from the file explorer.
    However, I have the same issue as before, the first attempt to play from the GUI fails, plays on the second attempt fine.

The drive is freshly copied, NO FRAGMENTATION, it is also 7200 RPM with faster seek time etc.
    The 8TB was less than 1TB free and prior feedback was that the drive performance may be the issue.

Well, now I have 4+TB free.

This looks like a 2.x.x.x issue. I reverted to 1.0.1.0 last week and this issue went away. ( for the movies I tested... ) But it fails 100% of the time on 2.x.... ( for the movies / shows i have tested )

I will send error ID's and Logs tonight.

Thanks for the feedback, please do post the Log ID# when you get them. Thanks also for taking the plunge on the 12TB drive, that's good to know.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

First Movie: 300 Failed ID:132958 Press OK and PLAY and it plays.
      Hmmm The next several are working. Though I am just taking them in order.
      I am rebooting to see if it is the first PLAY on the box...

Well, don't I feel the fool. It seems to be working great. I have to remember the movies / shows I was trying last week.

At least the first one I tried gave us an error.
      Just noticed playing Knight Rider ISO's Named S01E01-E04 S01E05-E10 etc. That it only shows 1 episode per disk on the GUI.
      So, season 1 has only 4 episodes displayed... 1,5,11 and 17 That is okay, the ISO has them all, but IF we ever get episode titles, this would not work.

Thanks, If I get the first attempt errors again, I'll post it here.

Comment

300 plays with no failure now... So, I cannot repeat it. Glad I sent the log. But noticed the AUDIO is 2ch Undetermined. I may have had to use another tool to rip it.
        From Time to time FAB will not read a disk so I use DVD Passkey or passkey with other tools. Dukes of Hazard is an example... Could only rip to ISO via Passkey.

Comment

ID:116371 Tomorrowland This was after the drive had spun down.

Comment

...14TB hard drives are also being tested successfully by DVDFab. Had there times by eMail requested. I myself have built a 10TB in my MovieServer and runs absolutely easily.

Comment

Hi, Anyone try any of these large drives using the usb port? Can you play UHD movies smoothly with high end audio (e.g. TrueHD, Atmos etc.)?
              Peace, Jim

TV: Sony XBR-70X850B; Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060; Speakers: KEF 7.2 Surround; NAS Server: Synology DS2411+; Home Theater: NUC8i7 Windows 10; DMS: Updated to v2.0.2.1 Beta; Zappiti:One 4K HDR; Connection: Direct Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Possible 8TB limit hit.
                My 12TB drive has been running great. However, this week I reached 8TB of content.
                I tried to add a new movie and was out of space!
                I deleted a few Dollar Tree movies I already watched and didn't really care about... and it did not give back the space.

I removed the drive and tried to defrag. But it had no fragmentation. As i had carefully copied the content on. I expected that.

I am now in the process of splitting the partition. I'll create a new location and try to copy and use that space.

Has anyone else with larger drives hit the 8TB limit?

Comment

I've used 9.32tb of my 12tb hdd and have had no problems.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the usb connected drive. My 12tb drive is internal.

Comment

Thanks Jimczyz, I think it could be a Windows 10 issue.
                    This is an internal drive, I pulled it from the DMS to resize the partition. It is taking forever to do. I guess it has to move the data from all over the drive to free up the contiguous free space.
                    Much like a defrag I guess. I used to hate doing this on 1MB drives! I calculated 5 days to run. I am a little lost without my DMS.

I only put stuff on the DMS that is not on Netflix or Prime...

Comment

IDK if make of drive has anything to do with it. I have a Seagate Ironwolf 12 tb. It works flawlessly. It shows the correct amount of space used and available.

Comment

I have Seagate 12TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA 3.5 512E
                        How did you format your drive? I did it connect to a Windows Machine, not in the DMS.

So, took about 2.5 days to add the second partition. I am about to try copying a few new movies to the drive.
                        I just need to "see" it over the network first. I'll give results.

Comment

Good luck. I formatted mine from my laptop using windows 10. T o see it on my network I had to activate smb 1.0.

Comment

So I could not "find" the second partition on the drive. Thus I deleted it and expanded the primary partition back to the full 12tb.
                            It still report full when trying to copy.
                            I installed Teracopy and that worked fine. I added about 20GB of content without an issue.
                            However, the performance of the DMS decreased since I squeezed all the data to the first 8TB of the drive. Darn!
                            Now I will have to copy all of the data off the drive, reformat and copy it all back on i guess. Well, at least my backup will be more up to date
                            Plus i have done a TON of file renaming so the scrapper/match works better.

Comment

Working...
                            X