No announcement yet.

Recomended Brand USB 3 External Supported Harddrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware Problem/Question Recomended Brand USB 3 External Supported Harddrive

What is the recommended, most reliable and largest (in terabytes) USB 3 external harddrive supported by the movie server? Where can I find the information on preparation and mounting instructions supported on the latest 2.0.1.2 OTA version? How would I select this drive over the default drive when transferring movies from DVDFAB?

Are there any instructions available to correctly connect and mount an external USB 3 2TB HD (Western Digital) so it can be used with the Movie Server? I formatted as FAT (not NTFS), so movie sees it as a USB device was connected, but does not mount as available drive so DVDFab can see it to transfer movies. I did not see any on the website and the Movie Server did not come with any instructions or how to connect an external HD.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by davidafana View Post
      Are there any instructions available to correctly connect and mount an external USB 3 2TB HD (Western Digital) so it can be used with the Movie Server? I formatted as FAT (not NTFS), so movie sees it as a USB device was connected, but does not mount as available drive so DVDFab can see it to transfer movies. I did not see any on the website and the Movie Server did not come with any instructions or how to connect an external HD.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
      here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/fomart-HD...vie-server.htm

Comment

Thanks these instructions are for the internal hard drive. The movie server does not recognize the external USB 3 hard drive so it can be mounted or reformatted so it can be used for extra storage for transferring additional movies from DVDFab. These are the instructions I was hoping to locate. Unless the movie server does not support external USB 3 hard drive storage.

Comment

Originally posted by davidafana View Post
          Thanks these instructions are for the internal hard drive. The movie server does not recognize the external USB 3 hard drive so it can be mounted or reformatted so it can be used for extra storage for transferring additional movies from DVDFab. These are the instructions I was hoping to locate. Unless the movie server does not support external USB 3 hard drive storage.
          try formatting the external HDD on your PC first then try it on the movie server.

Comment

From Windows file explorer can you access the drive by UNC naming path on your network? example....

\\android_XXXXXX\share\sda\usba1 (change the xxxxxx to match your unit)

Comment

The DMS supports external HDDs, in fact you can plug one into each USB port. Best advice is to format it on your PC as noted in post #5.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I use USB external drives quite a bit...

1. The DMS cannot format USB drives itself. You must format them in a PC first and then move the drive to the DMS. I recommend doing a FULL format in NTFS format. This may take quite awhile on a large drive. NTFS seems to be the most efficient format to use. After you move the drive to the DMS, you can safely delete the recycle folder as it is not used by the DMS.

2. Shut down the DMS and plug the drive into one of the ports. Then restart the DMS. Once booted, the DMS should show an annoying message that it has detected a USB drive and ask if you want to open it. (well, I find it annoying, but in this case it will tell you that the drive is mounted correctly)

3. The network path to the new drive is much like that of the internal drive, but instead of sata, it is labeled either usbB or usbA, depending on which port you have used.

4. Unless 2013 has changed things, DVDFAB software cannot transfer directly to the usb drive using the media server destination entry in the software. It will only send to the sata drive. (It used to, but that went away some time back. Hope they fix it someday) You can, however, transfer to the usb drives by selecting the drive as a folder in the destination drop down. It will then send directly to the usb drive in the DMS. Personally, I have stopped using the DMS destination, I send the output from the software to a local folder on my PC and then manually transfer the file to whatever drive I want on the DMS. This gives me the opportunity to correct the file name as the DVDFAB software does not always do a good job at naming the output file (It works well for TV SHOWS, not so much for movies.)

Hope this helps..

Comment

Personally, I have connected a 10TB WD Easystore USB 3 external drive (which I got on sale at Best Buy for $149 - wish I had bought 2!). Absolutely no problems with DMS recognizing the external drive or with playback, even with uncompressed 50TB BD files at around 20 MBPS data rate. However, since I have around 3000 movies spread across a 10 TB internal drive and the 10 TB USB drive, I generally compress Blu-Rays to main move at BD-9 settings averaging around 7 Mbps data rate. That is generally OK for casual viewing on a 4K HDR higher end TV. Of course, uncompressed from the original movie data yields more detail and color depth at 1080p. Haven't tried 4K playback however.

Comment

4K Playback works fine even with uncompressed (passthrough) MKV files of 50GB or more. I have seen a few stutters in playback but that might be due to problems with the conversion on a few disks I have which my LG 4K BD drive doesn't read as easily as any of my players. A few have read errors with DVDFab 11. Most of my files are on a QNAP NAS server but I do have some on the DMS itself because I want to access all of the special features via the disc menus. I do hope you mean 50GB files DaveH50. I don't think NTFS supports 50TB files sizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X