SATA Hard Drive Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMS v2.0.2.0 SATA Hard Drive Issue

Wanting to find out why my SATA HD works fine in the DMS but when I take it out and try to put it back in my SATA external drive box and hook it to my Windows computer via usb it says inaccessible, when I first added about 50 movies to it via DVDFab 11, I was able to access the movies through the computers USB port, and now after loading over a hundred movies my computer no longer sees it, The Sata box still works with other SATA Hds that I have not used in the DMS ( so the External Drive box is OK ), but otherwise with the DMS SATA HD in the DMS I can see the movie files in Windows Explorer, and all the media plays and looks fine as long as it is in the DMS, just not when I pop it out of the DMS server and hook it up to the computer it shows the HD is not accessible ?

Was the drive formatted in Windows or in the DMS? And what file system and partition style does it have? Can’t understand why it would quit working in the pc if it worked in the past.

If it is >2GB the problem may be in the drive dock. The older chipsets in some of them will reject drives over 2 GB.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

try opening a command prompt and run chkdsk /f x:
      x:= your drive letter. press enter and let it run, once it finishes
      your drive should be working again

Comment

OK I hit run and cmd pops up, I am trying to access drive J, so how exactly do I type this in do I leave cmd there and type in run etc..? can you type in exactly what needs to be in that window
        Thanks

Comment

How did you format the sata drive? If you had the server do it, windows won't be able to see it.

Comment

no I formatted it on my computer, and it kept reading it after about 50 movies I popped it out and hooked it to my computer it would still read it, but when I added more movies and popped it out of the DMS and put it back in the my external HD box it quit reading it , I just ran a check disk on it in windows by right clicking on it ( J ) and went to tools , and it said windows 10 cannot recognize it ?

Comment

I may have to start looking into backing up this drive to Another Drive attached to my computer, from the DMS or from Windows explorer before I get to far ahead of adding any more movies to the DMS, luckily out of 240 movies I have on this DMS I was able to download about 100 movies out of 240 I have on the DMS to another Hard Drive before my computer decided not to recognize my DMS SATA HD, any advice of which is the best way to do this, so I can go back and start adding more movies to this DMS in the future ? Its strange that this attached SATA HD works fine in the DMS but is not recognized on my computer ?

Comment

Have you tried to see if it shows under disk management? Right click the this pc icon, formerly my computer and choose manage. Then click on disk management and see if it shows up.

Comment

Strange that the hard drive worked in Windows before and it doesn't see it now but works in the DMS.

Don't think it's because you added more movies to it. Something to do with the external HD box and the USB port that it's plugged into. Have you tried plugging the HD external box into another USB port to see if the drive shows up. Assuming the USB port is the J drive which is the HD external box and not the hard drive itself. Taking the HDD out of the DMS and plugging it into your computer to look at the files/movies, did you eject the hard drive, like dismount it or you just pulled the drive out of the external HD box? If you played a movie while it was hooked up to the USB port and didn't properly eject the hard disk drive that's an under laying issue that might be hanging you up but not understanding why when you ran check disk under tools it doesn't recognize that the drive is hooked up. Crazy but here are some links that may help you troubleshoot what is going on.

First link is a Windows link that is in reference to what jimczyz is referring to with Disk Management, if you formatted your disk under Windows you should have been there already and should be able to see your drive in there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/330140/my-drive-does-not-appear-in-windows-explorer-view (Link should really give you a lot of ideas to check)

Second link is what October262 was trying to get you to do and you didn't know how to, the check disk you did in Windows is different in regards to what he was shooting at for you to do. Don't think that was your problem, but the link is good to know in reference for later at some time to use and know.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/run-chkdsk-to-check-repair-drive.html

Last.........you need Windows and you need Windows to be able to see your drive to make copies to another hard drive as a back up. Unless you invest into a 1:1 Hard Drive Duplicator where it does not need to be under the Windows environment to make any copies. Star Tech makes good duplicators and does not need Windows to make 1:1 copies.

Good luck and hope this helps...........some!!

Comment

Using the command prompt chKdisk test right now on my Windows 10 computer, right now it is working on stage 4 progress: 57 of 5616 done; stage: 1 %; Total : 1%; ETA: 136:51:46 wondering if I should wait this out, at least it sees it but may take it forever to finish up any thoughts out there ?

Comment

I do have 3 tbs of 245 movies for it to go through, hopefully all will not be lost when I put it back in the media server, and maybe my patience for it to run through the check disk will actually let me see my sata hd on my computer finally ?

Comment

Thanks #9 Down to Earth Member, was able to run check disc from the command prompt, although it took 3 days to run through the 6 TB sata drive , all seems well, backed up what i needed, inserted SATA drive back into the media server, and did lose any poster art, so far seems to be working fine, will add more movies and pop it out and hook it back in its external enclosure and hook it my USB computer port later and see how well it is doing, many thanks
                        Willy57

Comment

So glad everything is working out for you so far....I only pointed you in reference in how, thanks so much in replying it helped.....but it was october262 reference in doing. (3 days running chkdisk....wow!)

Comment

Working...
                          X