No announcement yet.

Is 8TB drive size the actual limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware Problem/Question Is 8TB drive size the actual limit?

Hi;

Just wondering if 8TB is the actual drive size limit or is that something that was writen up in manuals and advertising before bigger drivers became generally available. Is it an OS limit or?

Thanks

gib

gibster,
    They have been posts of larger disks being used.

Comment

I have 2 servers and have a 12tb drive in each with no problems at all.

Comment

I think that was the limit with the android os when they were being developed, it has been updated several times since. I still use smaller drives to minimize the loss when they fail. I went to 4TB when I started putting 4k content on it. I think jimczyz was the trailblazer for 12TB.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

... 16TB have already been successfully tested. Works perfectly and without problems. The operating system also recognizes this size without problems. But I think the limit has been reached.

Comment

Wow, good to know . I installed a 10TB drive when I bought my DMS a couple years ago, but I'm running out of room. Newegg has a 14TB Seagate Exos enterprise drive on sale for $325, about 2/3rds of list price. Now I just wonder if I can install the same on my WD Easystore USB3 drive.

Comment

Forget upgrading the WD drive - Best Buy has a new 14TB drive for $260 - cheaper than the internal drive from Newegg.

Comment

I bought a 14TB WD elements and shucked it (They have white label Red drives in them)

Made it into a GPT disc, Moved all my UHD stuff from my 8TB and added more to fill that.

Works perfectly at half the price of a red label red drive.

Comment

Originally posted by lamster View Post
                  I bought a 14TB WD elements and shucked it (They have white label Red drives in them)

Made it into a GPT disc, Moved all my UHD stuff from my 8TB and added more to fill that.

Works perfectly at half the price of a red label red drive.
                  I had thought about doing the same thing. Makes you wonder how much the big drives really cost to manufacture - I'm sure WD still makes a good profit on their 14TB even with the USB hardware.

Still have about 1.5TB room on the DMS internal drive (WD 10TB red), so I think I'll wait and see what the black Friday sales are like in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                  X