Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD format file system

Hi,

Could you tell me in what format the Movie Server formats the Hard Disk?

I have a HD formatted by the Movie Server and we are trying to recuperate the movies via a PC but cannot figure out what file system the movie server uses.

Txs,

Bart

Believe it's Linux filesystem, thinking ext4. Can't mount and manage the hard drive using Windows if you formatted it using the movie server.

Comment

That is also what I thought but I want confirmation from the Admin. Indeed you can't read it with Windows. I put the drive on my PC and assigned a drive letter (without formatting it) but I can't access the data neither on the PC nor on the Media Server :-( ...

Comment

D2E is correct, remember the DMS runs on Android so everything is a little different. If you format the drive on a pc with NTFS and a GPT or MBR style partition it will work on both as I recall. I used GPT and had no issues. I can’t account for what you are seeing with it not playing on the DMS unless Windows trashed it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

If the drive is still in the DMSs' hard drive bay can you map the drive over the network and copy them that way onto the PC?
          I have tried Windows based drivers for accessing Linux based partitions, the free ones are crap and I didn't purchase one to see if that would have worked but that option is out there...FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Eye View Post
            If the drive is still in the DMSs' hard drive bay can you map the drive over the network and copy them that way onto the PC?
            I have tried Windows based drivers for accessing Linux based partitions, the free ones are crap and I didn't purchase one to see if that would have worked but that option is out there...FYI.
            Thanks. If I put the drive in the DMS again the DMS instantly asks if I want to format the drive...

Comment

Well just say no...btw the newer versions of the SDK fixed that.

Comment

I have never been able to get a hard drive to reliably format using the MS itself. Yes, it is supposed to be linus-ext4, but after formatting, the drive is still unreadable on a linux pc. They report it as an invalid partition.Also, after putting a certain amount of dat on the disk, it will suddenly start "loosing" files and then refuse to allow you to add more data to it.

I use my PC to format disks in NTFS format. So far that has worked reliably.

Comment

I bought a Toshiba NAS 8TB internal HDD to upgrade from a 2TB that is almost full. Media Server recognized it as a new HDD, started to format it but stopped after a few seconds and put up a message that it couldn't do the job. So, here's how I fixed this after a couple of days trying other things that didn't work:

1 - Purchased two Sabrent HDD enclosures that connect to my PC with USB 3.0.
                  2 - Put the old HDD which was almost full into one enclosure and connected it to the PC with a USB cable.
                  3 - Put the new HDD into the second enclosure and connected like the first one.
                  4 - Turned on both enclosures and then opened "This PC" on my Windows 10 PC. Both HDD's were shown, along with the C drive, DVD ROM, etc.
                  5 - Using Acronis disk software, I "cloned" the old HDD on to the new HDD. This took 12 hours to completely copy, sector by sector, the files from one HDD to the other.
                  6 - After this was done, I took the new HDD and put it in the MS and it booted up fine and had all the movies from the old drive. But, the new drive was partitioned into two sections of about equal size. The MS settings disk management showed that there was not the full 8TB available.
                  7 - So, I reloaded the new HDD into the Sabrent enclosure and turned it on. Using Disk Management (Rt. click start button), I could see the two partitions on the new HDD.
                  8 - On the partition that was NOT the one with MS files on it, I did a Rt. click and selected Volume to Delete and then deleted it.
                  9 - On the volume I wanted to extend (to use the whole disk for movies) I did a Rt. click and chose Extend.
                  10 - A wizard opens and you just finish the process.
                  11 - I put the new HDD into the MS and it reflected the entire 8TB (actually a bit less due to binary data).
                  12 - The old HDD I'm saving as is to save for a rainy day if the 8TB ever goes bad, I have the old one to do this process again, if needed.

Good luck to all!

Lt. Carl

Comment

Working...
                  X