SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD

Does anybody know if the MS also works with SSD HD's?

Txs!

Originally posted by BartGoem View Post
    Does anybody know if the MS also works with SSD HD's?

Txs!
    I have a Sandisk 2TB that I plug into a USB port on the player

Comment

It depends on the physical layer interface of the SSD. To work in the DMS drive bay it would need to be a SATA connection.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I don't know the answer as far as the DMS is concerned but this is a handy device to have and would allow you to test it...I have one and have a 1TB SSD in it and use it to move files to my HTPC that has a 4 bay external USB 3.1 type C 3.5" HDD enclosure. I haven't seen any issues.

ICY DOCK 2.5" to 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD & SSD Converter/Mount/Kit/Adapter - EZConvert MB882SP-1S-2B
        Last edited by Dead Eye; 04-30-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Good plug Dead Eye for mentioning that type of adapter to use for SSDrives as an option.

I originally started out using a 2TB SATA SSD drives (bought 4 at 1st) to use in the DMS because I thought I could hot swap them out but find out that was not the case without rebuilding the library every time I put a different drive in it, on top of that a 2TB drives fills up really quick. They can get expensive for movie servers as it's only main source, need big bytes and they are not cheap and big bucks.

An early jump on the fore mentioned Sabrent ds-sc4b - 4 bay external USB 3.1 type C 3.5" HDD enclosure as noted above, that would have been idea, that unit is all that in how effective it works if you do not want to set up a NAS. Wanted another one but it is out of stock everywhere on earth now and not even listed on Sabrent site anymore.

As noted by signals and Dead Eye, if you really want to go SSD it would need to be able to be mounted via SATA connection inside the DMS or an adapter to mount a 2.5" SSD and use it inside a enclose to hook up to one of the USB ports.
          Last edited by Down2Earth; 05-01-2021, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks D2E, I have 2 of those Sabrent ds-sc4b - 4 bay external USB 3.1 type C 3.5" HDD enclosures, 1 on the HTPC and the other on my office PC, they are well made and work like a charm. I built a PC for a friend of mine using local stores(..we have a Micro-Center in Columbus) and got a mid-tower with no external drive bays so I talked him into getting one of those units. He also bought this adapter/converter unit. I think the specs on that 4 bay unit says 10TB max, I don't know if that is true or not as I haven't tested it. 8TB seems to be the best price point for mechanical drives, $299 for WD Red Pros at Micro-Center with an instant $20 rebate applied at checkout. I have 2 extra drives that I can 'grow into'.

The semi conductor market is starting to dry up...Ford had to idle two plants because the computers that run cars these days can't get parts.

I also bought one of these units...Systor 1 to 1 SATA 150MB/s HDD SSD Duplicator/Sanitizer - 3.5" & 2.5" Hard Disk Drive Solid State Drive Dual Port Hot Swap (SYS201HS-DP) back in 2019 to make backup copies of the drives that I use in the computer room since they are the master drives for content that I watch on the HTPC. It takes 12 hours to duplicate and 8TB drive.
            Last edited by Dead Eye; 05-02-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I can contest that the Sabrent 4 bay external enclosures can handle 10TB drives without even breathing hard, I have 4 Seagates Exos Enterprise drives (Exos X10) in all 4 bays and the fan runs silent with no pick ups when all 4 bays are on. Currently I am only using 2 now but the beauty is as you put it...have 2 drives to 'grow into' seating on the ready when I need them.

This is a nice unit if you do not need to perform a RAID array for backups of your media or files since each drive and bay works independently. I too have a 1:1 drive duplicator so I didn't need and want to set up a NAS if I didn't have too. Just don't have the time for it. Like the Systor (SYS201HS-DP) unit but wanted something a little more compact and storable. Have this unit for making back ups when needed - 2.5 / 3.5” SATA HDD Duplicator & Eraser - HDD Duplicators - Hard Drive Cloning/Copying (startech.com)

Comment

We seem to be like minded on this stuff D2E. If 10 TB drives come down a little more I might give them a go. I have a spare bedroom that I have that duplicator setup in with its own battery backup because you just never know when the power company decides to perform maintenance repairs.

In my job that I retired from I maintained servers that had RAID arrays and serial storage arrays and they are okay for a corporate budget, but for home systems, it seems to be a little to much for me. I pre-wired this house during construction, CAT-6 for ethernet, CAT-5e for phone and RG-6 quad shield for video on 13 face plates throughout the hose The CAT-6 are terminated on to patch panels.

This setup now is, in my view the best. I still don't use the poster wall to initiate a movie, I either use Windows file explorer or the file browser built into the Player app. The great thing is after watching a movie I drop out to a Windows desktop on a 65" TV with a mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the prime video app from the Microsoft store and can watch free content or buy digital content.

Comment

Update. Tried installing a 4 TB Samsung SSD in MS. MS asked to format and gives format error.

States to format drive via PC in NTFS/EXT3/EXT4. Formatted SSD on PC in first EXT4 and second NTFS. Both cases SSD in MS doesn't recognise SSD and asks to reformat in MS (which doesn't work)...

Comment

Originally posted by BartGoem View Post
                    Update. Tried installing a 4 TB Samsung SSD in MS. MS asked to format and gives format error.

States to format drive via PC in NTFS/EXT3/EXT4. Formatted SSD on PC in first EXT4 and second NTFS. Both cases SSD in MS doesn't recognise SSD and asks to reformat in MS (which doesn't work)...
                    once you have the SSD connected to your PC, try to Initialize the SSD using the GPT method.
                    right click the SSD and select create a new volume.

Comment

Before you do anything else to the drive I would contact Samsung support and ask them what to try given the symptoms you are experiencing. The (mechanical) drive in my DMS is a 4 TB Seagate formatted by Windows 7 with a GPT style partition which works well on the DMS and PC.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X