This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Roadmap

I would like to see a "Roadmap" where the developers acknowledge bugs and fixes that they are working on, obviously a closed thread though.

The reason that I ask for this is that too many times in the past, the answer to any question is "We will fix that in the next version" and nothing ever happens. A lot of problems seem to fall through the cracks because of new areas being developed.

A classic example is the resize of the "Options" screen to work on Netbooks, etc which has been around for over 2 years.

It would at least give this community some insight into what has been recognised and what is being done and help engender more trust. (and maybe some accountability on Fab's part)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

It appears to me that somehow, while adding the new features, some good old features are being broken.

Dear GregiBoy,

I am behind you on this one 100%.
    It would be nice indeed, to have a checklist, or a "Roadmap" as you put it, that would address the current issues which should remain on that list until they are fixed. From a business perspective this would be a fantastic move by DVDFab's Developer Team, which I really think would, as you put it so nicely: ".....engender more trust (and maybe some accountability on Fab's part)."

Currently Fab is the best, but, Fab needs to remain the best.

Comment

Roadmap

GregiBoy

You and I have not seen eye-to-eye always...(another forum, another nom-de-plume of mine), but I am 100% behind you on this one.

You've hit the nail smack dab on the head with your comment about Fab accountability...

It would certainly make life easier for us slightly more experienced helpers to know what is being worked on - and I don't mean new features - old glitches, if you will... and might even help our analysis of any new problems...

But the team at Fab seems to think that just chugging along, while not dwelling on old problems, should be good enough for everyone.

I think it's time for a change... for both the loyal and those that want to be the loyal...

DC

Comment

Thanks DC...

PS: It would be boring if we all agreed all the time !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ditto on post #3.

Lack of communication has caused many problems on the forum.

Comment

Well, this is yet another example of a total lack of communication.

As of this point in time, Fab management and development have deigned not to answer this question.... Alll it would take is a simple YES, NO or WE WILL THINK ABOUT IT !!!

Why am I not surprised???
            Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
            Ditto on post #3.

Lack of communication has caused many problems on the forum.

Comment

Dude - it's only been a day.

I also agree with the bug tracking/feature request. There are a lot of great models to follow out there for reporting bug/feature status. Heck - they could just use bugzilla - that's been around for years. v4 is very nice.

Comment

Yeah and after a day it drops off the radar and never gets answered.

Comment

Well, dude...

It's now been 5 days and not even an acknowledgement.

How unusual !!!!

Originally posted by brienmalone View Post
                  Dude - it's only been a day.

Comment

I have run several software development organizations and there are many reasons why a small shop like DVDFab would not want to do a public roadmap.

@GregiBoy
                    I think you have a false expectation if you think that high-level developer(s) that could possibly green light this would be constantly trolling the forums.

Also, you are not helping your case by the replies. The idea is to convince them about the brilliance of your idea rather than have them say some Chinese expletive out loud as they are reading. You get more flies with honey...

Comment

I too have run development shops both large and small over the last 30 years and understand your reasoning but respectfully disagree.

I have tried the honey trick innumerable times over the last 6+ years that I have been using Fab, and I'll tell you categorically that it doesn't work. Maybe it is time for the flypaper or the flyswat!!!

All my comments over that time were aimed at making Fab the leading product in the marketplace, but unfortunately this is no longer so.

I feel that too much effort is being placed on new whizbang features whilst their core products suffers.

I, for one, only now use the decryption parts of Fab (And I think it is still the best) because their other modules are too buggy and have unreliable results.

FREE software out there in the marketplace does a far better job.

I would welcome some chinese expletives as it would mean that this post actually had been read.

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                      I have run several software development organizations and there are many reasons why a small shop like DVDFab would not want to do a public roadmap.

@GregiBoy
                      I think you have a false expectation if you think that high-level developer(s) that could possibly green light this would be constantly trolling the forums.

Also, you are not helping your case by the replies. The idea is to convince them about the brilliance of your idea rather than have them say some Chinese expletive out loud as they are reading. You get more flies with honey...

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                        I have tried the honey trick innumerable times over the last 6+ years that I have been using Fab, and I'll tell you categorically that it doesn't work. Maybe it is time for the flypaper or the flyswat!!!
                        So you are saying that you think your comments are going to make a DVDFab developer more likely to do what you suggest? I doubt you actually believe that.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                        I would welcome some chinese expletives as it would mean that this post actually had been read.
                        I was thinking they might say those expletives out loud, not that they would actually post them.

Please tone it down a bit. Make your suggestions and let your ideas stand on their merits. Lead the horse to your favorite watering hole... but don't try to kick him in the nuts when he doesn't want to drink.

Comment

Enough. Greg knows his comments are a rant and will have no effect on what is done or when. Of course the developers care about problems. DVDFab is a commercial enterprise. They will fix things that break as soon as they can. In my experience with the staff, a lack of response often means they have not been able to duplicate the problem. The things I use in DVD/BD Copy, and both rippers work very well. The only known issue I know of is the xvid codec, and it may be fixed already (I use it rarely).
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Unfixed problems in Fab !!!!

I have always agreed with Signals & others on the "RIPPING" side.

I cannot bear the NEW terminology and will stick with the old. The new module naming is confusing and SUCKS !!!

Firstly, communication by Fab staff is abysmal. I know that users are getting absolutely sick of "Download and install the new version" when the responder has absolutely no idea what the forum member is talking about.

These are just some shortcomings of "DVD to Mobile"

Issues that I know of and resolution not forthcoming:-

UI Setting unusable on some panels on a PC monitor less than 800 pixels in vertical resolution. This has become a larger issue with the advent of NetBooks....
                            XVid codec, tags & audio sync
                            WMV codec, audio sync (This has been around for 3 years or more)
                            Incorrect aspect ratio of 4:3 encoding when resolution specified (Pinocchio Syndrome)
                            Incorrect frame rate calculations (Audio sync seems partly attributable to this)

Lacking features:

DVD to MKV: lack of embedded multiple audio tracks, subtitles, chapter marks & tags.
                            Watermark.

This is just a quick synopsis & no, it is not a rant...

I expect Fab to support and fix existing products before they go off on tangents and develop new modules.

I'll give you a challenge. Let this thread stay open for members to post their known problems here!!!

Comment

You've had your say, far beyond what is normally allowed. Now let it rest. If Fengtao wants a problem tracking thread, we will have one, otherwise not. My fear is that this thread is what it would turn into.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X