This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix timecode breaks on VOB rips

Your application is excellent but I still have to use MPEG Streamclip to get an MPG I can play on my Win 7 Media Center Extender. I use Streamclip to fix timecode breaks in the VOB that gets generated by DVDFab and then to convert to MPEG, which should be a simple rename once the timecode's are fixed. Can you either provide insight on how to accomplish this using DVDFab or add this functionality to a future release?

Thanks - h8n01

Do you mean the DVD-Video VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder or the ones you can make with VOB Passthrough? I've never had anything choke on the VOB Passthrough files.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I believe he is talking about VOB Passthrough. The timecodes in most DVDs are very bad because the DVD player goes by the IFO files instead. I've used Mencoder in the past to fix the problem but the irregular pulldown in most NTSC DVDs creates juddering when the camera pans (see the same on Netflix Watch Now). I'll have to give MPEG Streamclip a go.

I too would like to see DVDFab have the option to create a corrected MPG file using VOB Passthrough as long as the judder issue could be solved. This would allow the PS3 to fast forward, rewind, and show the time remaining correctly when playing the files.

Comment

Thanks for the backup. This is why it is good to have our own Videophile.
        Originally posted by Complication View Post
        I believe he is talking about VOB Passthrough. The timecodes in most DVDs are very bad because the DVD player goes by the IFO files instead. I've used Mencoder in the past to fix the problem but the irregular pulldown in most NTSC DVDs creates juddering when the camera pans (see the same on Netflix Watch Now). I'll have to give MPEG Streamclip a go.

I too would like to see DVDFab have the option to create a corrected MPG file using VOB Passthrough as long as the judder issue could be solved. This would allow the PS3 to fast forward, rewind, and show the time remaining correctly when playing the files.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Complication,

Just another question?

How does the PS3 handle playing the other information that is normally held in the IFO files such as subtitles, different audio streams, audio offsets, etc.

The reason that I ask this is that I have found that my network streamers (Ziova & Zensonics, D-Link) do not handle playing VOB's very well as they seem to need the details contained in the IFO files to do things correctly.

I have found that I get better results if I want 100% quality to create a Movie-Only ISO.

I usually make the ISO available on my network when I originally rip the DVD until I get around to processing it with DVD to Mobile.

Regards
          G.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

All my Full Disc rips I save on hard drive I stream to my Xbox 360 and have not had any issues with it that I have noticed. I am using windows 7 Ultimate to stream to the Xbox 360

Comment

As ISO's/Folders or just the VOB's?
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I don't do ISO or VOB passthrough so the Video TS folder with all the VOB, IFO and BUP files in it

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  Complication,

Just another question?

How does the PS3 handle playing the other information that is normally held in the IFO files such as subtitles, different audio streams, audio offsets, etc.

The reason that I ask this is that I have found that my network streamers (Ziova & Zensonics, D-Link) do not handle playing VOB's very well as they seem to need the details contained in the IFO files to do things correctly.

I have found that I get better results if I want 100% quality to create a Movie-Only ISO.

I usually make the ISO available on my network when I originally rip the DVD until I get around to processing it with DVD to Mobile.

Regards
                  G.
                  Subtitles and alternate audio streams are not available to the PS3. The same files are playable on my PCH but it has trouble with fast forward and rewind too. What the PS3 does better than any device I've tried is upscale to 1080p (... I know, I know, your TV does it for you). The PCH can't hold a candle to it.

I could have the best of both worlds using the old IfoEdit or Shrink. These tools can be told to create a non-standard DVD format and not break the VOB files at 1G. This allows me to play the file(s) directly on the PS3 or use all the features on the PCH. I don't bother because it is just too much of a pain compared to the few clicks using DVDFab VOB Passthrough.

Maybe one day there will be a format that has all the IFO features, supports all the video streams (H264,MPEG2), and is understood by the PS3 and others. I'm not holding my breath but maybe someday we'll look back and say "you remember when we had to...".

Comment

Mate, you could even do that today. "Can you remember when we had those low quality VHS tapes all over the place and had to sort through them to find a title? Now I just press 3 buttons and I've got the title that I want"

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                      All my Full Disc rips (I don't do ISO or VOB passthrough so the Video TS folder with all the VOB, IFO and BUP files in it) I save on hard drive I stream to my Xbox 360 and have not had any issues with it that I have noticed. I am using windows 7 Ultimate to stream to the Xbox 360
                      Can you elaborate on how you're streaming a 'Full Disc' rip to an XboX360?
                      Are you using a 3rd party streamer or just stock Windows 7 stuff?

I do a VOBpassthrough of the title I want and then re-name it to .mpg.
                      (one file, obviously named, per movie all in one folder makes it easier for The Wife to make it go)
                      I'm using Vista Home Premium. I run the Media Center from the XboX and play the .mpgs from 'inside' there. It works great (original video @ 5.1 sound) however...I can only play/pause with the XboX. I can't fast-forward or Rewind...and it drives me nuts!
                      (added irritation...I can't play these .mpg files directly from the XboX videos tab. I have to run the Media Center to see them.)

If You can get full 'functionality' with your arrangement, I'm dying to try it with Vista. I'd hope there's not that much difference.

All I want to do here is get DVDs onto my drive as quickly as possible, with no losses, and watch them on my XboX television...with the occassional rewind for those "Did you see that!?!?" moments.
                      I'd rather keep the 'one-file' format, but if I have to re-train the wife...so be it.

Thanks!
                      Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X