Profile XML Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Profile XML Documentation

It's hard to tell what the rip/convert profiles are and aren't doing without some form of documentation on the XML. I've been a software developer, have worked with XML and still have problems figuring out the available XML tags and values.... Or the correct values. That is without creating a bunch of profiles with every different setting changes as to force the "XML tag to show up..

It would help to know what changes the profiles are enforcing and what settings they are allowing to "pass thru"... Most of the custom profiles being posted are for mobile devices. I'm just streaming throughout my home...

Does anyone know of a good document on the FAB profile XML??? The developers should make this available as it only makes DVDFab more flexible and valuable. If I can manually make this product work to its extreme extents, it'll be easier and more flexible to use and I'll recommend it out to everyone I know. But when I have to spend hours looking at a multitude of forums to figure it out, its frustrating... And I'm no newbie to computers...

I agree wholeheartedly. The documentation is way out of date and very poorly explained.

If there are enough posts here, it may prompt some action.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Are there moderators on here who represent the developers? I mean, they have the documentation necessary to develop new Profiles for rollout with upgrades, why not put it into PDF format and share that knowledge with the users.

As a former software engineer, an empowered user is a happy user and a happy user is a loyal user. They would most likely end up with more business if they documented the product and XML better... Without the documentation, users will have too turn to tools like AutoGK... There are tons of opensource tools on Videohelp and I'm sure the userbase for those tools is huge. But some of us want too invest our time and money in a tool that is consistently under development and supported...

They have an entire thread for new profiles so they know people are trying to write them. Document the code and watch DVDFab explode in popularity.

Comment

Nope. The modes and senior users here are all volunteers.

The developers are quite conspicuous by their absence.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thread moved to feature requests.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          The developers are quite conspicuous by their absence.
          They will be back shortly. It is Chinese New Year.

@climberguy

I agree that the documentation could use some serious work. However, the new profiles follow a familiar pattern. If you do some web searches for the XML names you will come to understand them.

DVDFab is not the first project where the developers are busy making new stuff and rarely get around to updating the documentation (or fixing low importance, hard-to-find bugs). I have been guilty of the same thing in my professional life too. You find yourself saying, "I should really update the documentation on... Oooh something shiny and cool to work on!"

Comment

The documentation does need an update, but it is can be used productively even in its present state to make new profiles or modify old ones.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X