X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fengtao! Where is blu ray customize?

HI all

This is my first post, so bear with me.

I have been considering purchasing DVDFAB Blu-ray for a while, but not without a blu ray customize feature.

If one wants to make picture perfect backup copies and included HD sound, this cannot be done on a 25g single layer disc. Many will agree, that Blu-ray is both a visual and audio experience, so to have to compromise picture and sound quality kind of defeats the object of making a backup? This being that HD picture and sound, are of course Blu-ray’s main selling point over DVD.

If there was an option to remove unwanted audio and menu’s etc., this would reduce a large part of the compression needed, reduce copy times and give people allot more control and versatility to their back up collection.

The fact that the DVD part of the program has 8 copy modes makes the blu ray updated counterpart look slim in comparison. As we are now in an era of HD, you would think the availability of options for the above would be the other way round.

Many years ago, I used to use DVDSHRINK which is now dead and think it was what helped set the precedence for many DVD programs today. Will we ever see a customize option for DVDFAB BLURAY?

The feature is already there, you can back up the Blu-ray disk with the main video stream and just the HD audio.

Even so, there are movies which go way over the capacity of a 25GB Blu-ray disk. At this point you either need to compress or us a BD-R DL disk.

Comment

Thanks for your response and I agree with what you say.

The main point I am trying to convey, is that there are no customize options if you want the full movie. If you want a full copy without compromising sound and quality, you have to do a clone copy with a dual layer BDR. These discs are far too expensive and I have seen original blu rays going on Ebay for less!

Basically, the customize option in dvdfab is what would be nice in the blu ray counterpart. This would allow the removal of unwanted HD/ DTS MA audio which takes up a large part of gb in most original blu ray discs.

If this option was avaliable, I think it would make the program that much better for most. If this wasn't the case, the developers wouldn't have been put in the dvd version.

Is there a customer contact or email to request feature requests?

Comment

Thread moved to Feature Request Sub-Forum.

Your duplicate thread in another Sub-Forum has been deleted.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Rock
          This feature was planned from the beginning and will be included as soon as the developers have time to work on it. Buy it now and support the development
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I understand what you're saying, for me though the extra's are watched once then never gone back too. However, the movie is watched many times. This is wear and tear on the backup.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I still think this option is crucial. Especially if you want greater control of your backups and improved video and sound reproduction, by ommitting audio and features not wanted.

I have friends in the same position as me, who previously had dvd shrink or the dvdfab version for their versatility and features.

I will probably hold out buying DVDfab blu ray, until the cost of blank discs goes down and when the developers or another program hosts this feature.

Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=10873 Here is a link to a forum post that shows movies that will fit uncompressed and most with HD audio kept and everything else not copied. To me, Fab blu ray is shrink for blu ray. A 25gb disk is actually about 23.8gb. I have fab set for 23gb. Another option is to split the movie over 2 25gb disks, I do this if I can't get the movie to fit. A heck of alot cheaper than 50 gb disks. Its not fab's fault that these movies are quite large and the 50gb are so expensive. I copy HD audio and uncheck all others, remove all subs except english. Another trick if you don't want to remove hd audio and drop it down a notch is to not copy the end titles. I did this on a few and got it below 23gb. As far as this link goes, when a movie is added to it, the link will go to the top of the list so as to not getting lost. I'm not quite understanding you when you say customize. You say it then proceed to explain what you want it to do and I just explained it to you here. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by HIDEF View Post
                  http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=10873 Here is a link to a forum post that shows movies that will fit uncompressed and most with HD audio kept and everything else not copied. To me, Fab blu ray is shrink for blu ray. A 25gb disk is actually about 23.8gb. I have fab set for 23gb. Another option is to split the movie over 2 25gb disks, I do this if I can't get the movie to fit. A heck of alot cheaper than 50 gb disks. Its not fab's fault that these movies are quite large and the 50gb are so expensive. I copy HD audio and uncheck all others, remove all subs except english. Another trick if you don't want to remove hd audio and drop it down a notch is to not copy the end titles. I did this on a few and got it below 23gb. As far as this link goes, when a movie is added to it, the link will go to the top of the list so as to not getting lost. I'm not quite understanding you when you say customize. You say it then proceed to explain what you want it to do and I just explained it to you here. Am I missing something?
                  Paragraphs.

Comment

@THEROCK
                    I'm not sure if I get the point you're trying to make ...
                    With DVD Shrink the only way you can copy a 5+ GB disc is to remove some or all of the unwanted extra's, menu's, audio streams and subtitles. If that is not enough to fit on a single layer DVD, the only way DVD Shrink can fit the movie on a 4.7 GB DVD-/+R is to re-encode the video stream, which compromises video quality (depending on how much compression was needed).

If you're so set on preserving the best quality sound and picture for your backup, you may want to use DVDFab to copy bly-ray's in movie-only mode and leave out all the unwanted (HD) audio and subtitle streams for best results. If the movie still doesn't fit on a single layer BD-R, I think DVDFab does a pretty good job in re-encoding the video stream.
                    Last edited by vtpeters; 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Just read feedback comments/suggestions.

What I am trying to say is this:

In my opinion, If there was a customize option on DVDFAB BLU RAY (Like its DVD counterpart), you would be able to make a full back up, minus unwanted HD audio streams.

Most BLU RAY discs have several HD audio foreign languages included which take up alot of space. If you were able to remove all the languages/subtitles etc. you don't need in your back up, the compression would be drastically reduced, improving overall picture quality.

In the past when using dvdfab with friends, we would see there was sometimes as much as a 25 percent decrease in compression by just removing several audio languages.

I have read several reviews that say DVD fab blu ray clone/full copies suffer from artifacts, especially when compressing to a 25g single layer disc. Yes this is to be expected, but a customize feature would reduce quality reproduction loss by a fair margin. What is the point of making a full back up, if you you have to lose the HD sound to maintain quality? Defeats the object don't you think? May as well opt for compressed MKV files?

I'm not having a dig at dvdfab. I think it's a very good program. I just think a BLU RAY customize option is integral in giving consumers more creative control of their backups. Especially given file size of Blu ray discs, the hours spent copying to hdd, then burning a blank disc. Basically, The DVD FAB BLU RAY options of full disc or main movie, just don't warrant me and many friends purchasing right now.

Comment

I don't use DVDFab to copy DVD's (only blu-ray's), so maybe therefor I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

For copying blu-ray discs DVDFab DOES give you the option to customize your bly-ray disc to a certain degree. In movie-only mode it enables you to select whatever audio and subtitle streams you want to keep. You can also determine which of the selected streams will be the default stream. While selecting the streams you want to keep, DVDFab analyzes and calculates how large is the remaining content wil be, so you know if it fits on a 25 GB BD-R with or without re-encoding and compression. To give you an example: I made movie-only copies of all 8 Harry Potter movies (keeping only 1 HD audio stream and 2 subtitle streams), just 1 movie needed re-coding and all others were exact unalterd copies of the original.
                        The customization is not as fancy as DVD Shrink does for DVD, where you might want to include some menu's but leave out certain extra's (video documentaries, etc.) that occupy valuable disc space.

My copied movie-only blu-ray disc starts playing the movie right after I pop it into my PS3 and if I want to select another audio or subtitle stream I just use the remote control. No disc menu required to do that!

DVDFab works great for me. If you feel otherwise or do not agree, then I think some of the other (free) tools might suite your needs better.
                        Last edited by vtpeters; 01-03-2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X