Universal Conversion Setting for all Apple Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Conversion Setting for all Apple Devices

Hi, wondering whether it was possible to have a universal setting for ripping or converting that allows you to play videos on all Apple devices?

What I mean by this is convert/rip a DVD once that will then play on iPod 5G, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPhone4, iPad and iPad2.

I've experimented a little bit but the break seems to be between iPod's having one setting and iphone's/iPad's another.

Also wanted to be flexible on whether to watch on an iPod or use TV out plus the more modern devices via Apple TV.

Any ideas? Is it possible? (or is it just a pipe dream due to the resolution/aspect ratio differences).

Thanks, Julian

Thread moved to Feature Request sub-forum.

Comment

The older devices you mentioned have smaller screens, so a file optimized for them would be smaller but not look as good on the iPhone4 or iPad. The iPhone4 h264 profile with a smaller than maximum frame size and stereo AAC audio probably comes closest, but is not optimum for watching using the TV out function. I guess it depends on what you are willing to put up with in terms of compromising the video quality for the devices you plan to use most often.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks. Are these the same settings as for the iPad h264 as they seem to have the same aspect ratio, framerate, but different bitrate. Layman question - assume a larger bitrate equals better quality?

Cheers.

Comment

They are similar but not identical. For instance the iPad profile in BD Ripper only offers a single resolution (1024Xxxx) which to me is overkill (too large) for a device with no retina display. You can add others manually on the Video Effects page or using the new Profile Editor. You can also change the default bits/pixel now with Profile Editor, thank you Beijing! I use the iPhone4 1080p profile at .21-.25 b/p for all conversions but never at 1920x1080, always smaller, like 720Xxxx or less. These settings look great on the iPhone4 and iPad2 and are acceptable using the component TV out cable with either device. This way the files are smaller and the conversions run faster. This is subjective, experiment to find settings that have tradeoffs that are acceptable for you.

All other things being equal, more bits are better up to a point. With h264, a bitrate that produces .15-.20 bits per pixel is usually enough.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Profile Editor

Hi, sorry silly question - where do I find the Profile Editor? Searched around but only found a guide not the software. Thanks, Julian

Comment

You have to download it from links in this forum.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi Jred55
                You will find it here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=13963
                CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

thanks to all

cheers, appreciate the speedy responses and help.

Comment

Working...
                  X