Subtitle selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Subtitle selection

if I select predefined susbtitle language in configuration, it usually works ok. But if BD/DVD includes several subtitles with this same language (usually because of bonus material), then all of those subtitles are selected and You can not select render to video anymore.
    In GUI case You can of course change selection manually (couple extra cliks) but when using DVDFab from command line You can not do that which means You get IDX files instead of "render to video".
    I suppose BD/DVD includes information that which subtitle is related to which video title (atleast BD players know how to select correct subtitle). So I suggest that list of available subtitles (and also audios?) should be dynamic depending which title(s) has been selected.

A single title can have multiple audio/sub streams; in the case of DVD Ripper, DVDFab displays only those that are in the IFO files for the title, BD Ripper works similarly. If you want to direct render in all cases, set the GUI to select none (Common Settings) and choose the one you want from the command line. which I believe is possible.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes I can select language using /SUBTITLE "<language>" parameter. But it selects several "tracks" (with same language), not single one.

Comment

Ah, sorry I misunderstood and I don't use the command line very often. It seems you need the ability to select the subpic stream by stream ID rather than by language. Deleting all the streams of a language except one when making the original rip would work, but would leave you with an incomplete movie, i.e. some subs would be missing.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

In that case why DVDFab don't allow "render to video" when several subs (with same language) are selected?

Comment

?? Not sure I understand what you are asking. They would be rendered one on top of the other and could not be read. Render to video subs are made part of the actual movie video in the encoding process, they are no longer a standalone stream or file. Selecting multiple sub streams automatically turns off "Direct render to video" for this reason.

Comment

How BD players handle this situation?
              Or is it fsomething like this?
              - one stream for spoken speech (lower part of the picture)
              - one stream for written foreign language (title of the book, street name etc)(lower part of picture or if spoken speech sub at same time then upper part of the text)
              Does subtitles include also position of the text?

Comment

Originally posted by GFML View Post
                How BD players handle this situation? Depends on whether they are playing a BD disc or an MP4 file (or a DVD).
                Or is it fsomething like this? Each movie has a differenet way of handling subs.
                - one stream for spoken speech (lower part of the picture)Yes, usually. Some discs also have broadcast-style closed captioning, where the text appears on a black background.
                - one stream for written foreign language (title of the book, street name etc)(lower part of picture or if spoken speech sub at same time then upper part of the text) This is not seen as often, many discs have no translation of written text. When present they are usually different streams but not always. In some, they are the same.
                Does subtitles include also position of the text? Yes, also color, timing, transparency, and forced display.
                For DVDs, download the free tool DVDSubEdit, it will let you see all the streams, what they contain and allow you to modify any of the parameters listed above. It works with files that have been decrypted to your hard drive in VIDEO_TS folders. Just experimenting with it will teach you lots of things about subtitles.

ArcSoft Total Media Theater 5 lets you re-position the subs while the movie is playing by grabbing with your mouse and dragging it to a new position.

Comment

Working...
                X