This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) DVD5 size

As should be generally known (especially to makers of DVD copying software), the size of a DVD5 is 4482 MB, not only 4300.
    So when using the DVD5 preset which only uses 4300 MB, some space and quality is wasted.
    How about fixing that at last?

Hi Bomat
    You can set it to whatever you want in Fab's settings, but I believe that 4482 MB will burn to close to the edge especially if you are not using quality media, you will have problems.

Mine is set to 4472 and only use Verbatim with the AZO Dye on the package, never made a coaster that was not my fault.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Bomat View Post
      As should be generally known (especially to makers of DVD copying software), the size of a DVD5 is 4482 MB, not only 4300.
      So when using the DVD5 preset which only uses 4300 MB, some space and quality is wasted.
      How about fixing that at last?
      There is nothing to be fixed.
      As stated by CBR929 you can use the custom setting to set the size for whatever you want.

Mine is 4450

The 4300 is used to stay away from the edge of low quality media to help prevent coasters.

All of this of course should be generally known by anyone that knows software.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2012, 09:44 PM. Reason: add attachment

Comment

I don't have the full version, hence no settings.
        And I didn't buy the full version because someone who sets the DVD5 size to 4300 MB didn't seem particularly competent to me.
        You see the vicious circle? :P
        Guess I'll get the full version after all.

And I see your arguments for not burning all the way to the edge, but 4400-4450 shouldn't be that much of a problem, really.
        So I maintain my opinion that the standard DVD5 size should be "fixed".

Comment

You must understand that DVDFab must produce results no matter what type of junk media/worn out drive/crap player a user may have. The 4300 MB setting increases the odds of a good result without making any adjustments. It can easily be customized by the user.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I understand and appreciate your reasons now, but I still think your basic setting is a bit too conservative.
            If I bought a crappy cardboard bookshelf and it collapsed under the weight of the books I put onto it, I could hardly blame the bookstore for selling me stuff that was too heavy. :P

Comment

Hi Bomat
              I understand what you are saying, but you have the option to change this in Fabs settings to meet your needs.
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I understand and appreciate your reasons now, but I still think your basic setting is a bit too conservative.
                If I bought a crappy cardboard bookshelf and it collapsed under the weight of the books I put onto it, I could hardly blame the bookstore for selling me stuff that was too heavy. :P
                I'm not saying I don't agree about 4300 being conservative, but the fact that it is permanently settable for each user's preference should be enough to meet all the goals. Read through the DVD Copy forum, you will find lots of posts from users that just want 1 or 2 click convenience burning junk media at 8X or 12X and blaming DVDFab when it does not work.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

So change it...with 4 keystrokes no less...slightly fewer than you've used thus far.

Huh?...and this is analogous how???
                  Give it a rest and avail yourself of 4 useful keystrokes.

Comment

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
                    Huh?...and this is analogous how???
                    Didn't think it was complicated to understand. Just as the bookseller is not responsible for my crappy bookshelf, DVDFab is not responsible for my crappy burning hardware.

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
                    Give it a rest and avail yourself of 4 useful keystrokes.
                    If you had bothered to read my previous posts, you might have observed that you can NOT adjust this in the free demo version, so please stop pointing that out like I was an idiot.
                    And of course, yes, one could just buy the xxxx thing and never have a problem with this particular issue again.
                    What I was trying to say is that this standard setting is not good advertising. Someone who uses the evaluation copy for doing some actual evaluation might get the impression that the makers of this software didn't know what the xxxx they were doing, and look elsewhere.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

This thread has gone far enough and has no value to any registered user.

Comment

Working...
                      X