DVD to VOB & Forced Subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) DVD to VOB & Forced Subtitles

Hello and thanks in advance for the support. I am ripping my DVD collection to VOB using VOB-Passthrough. I completely understand that there is no re-encoding performed in this step which is required to "burn in" forced subtitles. And, to make things clear, I know I can rip and convert to another format thus re-encode with forced subtitles. However, I am using the ripped content on my HTPC with Xbox media extenders as well as TIVO; both of which support MPEG2/AC35.1. The Xbox is terrible at upscaling while the TIVO is excellent and preferred. So, long story short I intend to stick with MPEG2. To accomplish the task of burning in the forced subtitles I may have to resort to purchasing yet another tool called TMPGENC Video Mastering Works 5. I tested the trial version and it re-encodes to MPEG2 & AC3 5.1 with forced subtitles beautifully. My question is, does DVDFab in some way re-encode to MPEG2 with forced subtitles and I just can't figure it out? Or, do I have to resort to purchasing another app that appears to be easily implemented in DVDFab?

Overall the ultimate goal is to rip my DVDs to MPEG2, maintain the highest possible quality and AC3 5.1 audio as well as burn-in any forced subtitles.

Thanks again.

The functionality you want is not possible with VOB Passthrough since it does not fully decode or encode the MPEG-2 stream, it just removes the DVD-Video-like features and characteristics (which unfortunately include the defaulted or forced subpictures). This is why it is so fast. Until recently, DVDFab did not have an MPEG-2 encoder, but one was added with the DVD Creator module. This should make it possible in the future to do what you want along with other features like a Merge mode that combines multiple sources into a single title (but both will be much slower than the current Merge and VOB Passthrough).

I will move your thread to the Feature Request forum to make sure the developers see it.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

So I can achieve what I need with the DVD Creator app? Or should are you saying it will soon be available in DVDFab? Thanks for the info.

Comment

No, I don't think the DVD Creator module will do what you want, since you are beginning with VOBs, which are its end product, not its source. I am saying it may be possible in the future, since one of the components necessary to do it (MPEG-2 encode) is now in DVDFab.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          ... I am saying it may be possible in the future, since one of the components necessary to do it (MPEG-2 encode) is now in DVDFab.
          When you state that MPEG2 encoding is now in DVDFab do you mean the current release 8.1.5.9 or a coming release?

Comment

Any release that has the DVD Creator option has an MPEG-2 encoder, but it is not something you can access, it only works within the DVD Creator module for now.

Comment

Working...
            X