This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) More quality options for mkv

I think this is something that everyone wants. I used to work with handbrake for my encondes, and i was able to select a lot of quality factors before i do the encode. This allows me to control the exactly quality i want (of course after a lot of tries).

With dvdfab i can only select the bitrate i want for the encode. This only option makes the quality of the rips made by dvdfab lower than any rip made by handbrake, for example with some high quality options specified. I stop using handbrake cuz in my actual pc i cant afford to waste 20 hours encoding a 90 minutes video, so i tried dvdfab for the cuda option.

I must say, dvdfab is great, and the cuda acceleration works great, but im not convinced with the quality that it produces, and i dunno if allowing some quality controls like in handbrake will help the final result to get more quality. I must say i was surprised that the only quality control is bitrate.. there are missing a lot of quality factors there.

The final user has no control at all of the quality he wants. Bitrate is only a little part very tiny of the final factors that decide the quality of the final file..

Well, the program right now is awesome, very resourceful, but as i say, people who wants quality and they have a good computer will always use handbrake style applications, i dunno if the reason for not including these quality options is the cuda support, but if it is not, i think it will be maybe the best update to dvdfab.

You can't have it both ways.

If you want to fine tune thngs, use the other software.
    If you want an easy, qick solution, use Fab...
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      You can't have it both ways.

If you want to fine tune thngs, use the other software.
      If you want an easy, qick solution, use Fab...
      Of course i know dvdfab is for a user - friendly use. But, i dont think people wants low quality in their encodes. Almost everyone, looks for better quality no matter wat. The quality produced by the encoding method software+cuda is not bad, but far from being good quality. And there is no extra effort in adding some options for the h264, and they are really needed.

Yesterday i tried with handbrake, with the quality options lower even than usual and the final result was far better than the produced with dvdfab. This makes me to see dvdfab as just a beginner software for kids. Sorry this is the only way u to understand wat i mean. I know using cuda for encoding makes the final result bad, but then again ¿¿wats the point of it??. Any experienced encoder will never use dvdfab, because with handbrake , even with lower quality options, u can produce a far better result, and the time spent is only 2 o 3 more hours than dvdfab using software + cuda. So i really dont see the point of avoid some h264 quality options, its just none sense.

And if i use only software in dvdfab, its the same situation, since i cant change important options to make the encode better. And again the result is by far worst than any other software-based program. I know dvd fab is a all-in-one great software, but in terms of quality, it really needs to improve. Seriously. If u are not going to include easy quality options, at least make dvdfab to produce better results... people think that changing the bitrate they gain more quality. WRONG. U need other elements to work in conjunction with the bitrate. I can have a move with 6000 bitrate that looks awesome and far better than a movie witn 10000 bitrate. So, in DVDFAB, the bitrate only indicates the final size of the movie, not the quality. So by now, there are no quality control options in dvdfab. That is really weird.
      Last edited by nimbus; 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

more quality options for mkv

@ nimbus,

You must have some great eyes! All my Mkv's (BD) look as good as the orginal, but I can also adjust my features on my HDTV and get great results
        along with DVDFAB!

But, as you get older all that won't matter cause by that time everything will look good! Even Black and White TV looked great back in the day!

I started years ago with handbrake and with the help from GREGIBOY, I think I drove him a little crazy with help, but it took me a long time to finally get it down and fine tune tune it! DVDFAB has made it easy for people who aren't that technical with things! If they did they wouldn't have as much business, it would be to hard to understand!
        Last edited by 8855A; 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM. Reason: INFO

Comment

well if quality is what u really want? Then screw it just remux which will be original quality. Yea some will say i rather spend the 10 to 20 hours re-encoding it to make the best quality at the smallest size. Myself i just remux and be done with it in 10 to 20 mins or so and figure my time is worth more than the 20 hours as you mentioned to compact it.

My feeling is if you take the time it takes you to downsize mulitply that by your hourly work rate, pretty quick you realize 3TB drives or larger are the way to go and just buy an usb 3.0 or esata non raid box expansion box and just remux it and put in your epansion box and away you go. Of course this works great if you are doing streaming from a media server

Myself personally i would only do re-encode to smaller size say for fitting on some portable device and in that case u may as well just use the digital copy when available and its compressed for you that should work for majority of your situations? Just chiming in on my feelings on the whole re-encode thing but that would depend on your individual situation and needs

Comment

Originally posted by 8855A View Post
            @ nimbus,

You must have some great eyes! All my Mkv's (BD) look as good as the orginal, but I can also adjust my features on my HDTV and get great results
            along with DVDFAB!

But, as you get older all that won't matter cause by that time everything will look good! Even Black and White TV looked great back in the day!

I started years ago with handbrake and with the help from GREGIBOY, I think I drove him a little crazy with help, but it took me a long time to finally get it down and fine tune tune it! DVDFAB has made it easy for people who aren't that technical with things! If they did they wouldn't have as much business, it would be to hard to understand!
            That doesnt mean anything lol. U should know some blu rays have a limited quality and others dont. U can get a mkv (it will be a h264 track, mkv is the container..) with the same quality of a blu ray, only cuz that blu ray has limited quality itself. But with movies with remastered tracks, or some movies produced in the last 5-10 years, u cant get a satisfactory result using dvdfab + cuda. Its just impossible and tested thousand of times. Using only software to encode, u can achieve great quality, i dont deny that. But this quality is far WORST than the one u can get with handbrake using low quality settings. And the time spent on handbrake will be the same or even less.

And u should check it on your pc, not on your tv, since things looks always "better" (fake for the eyes) in the tv.

Curt, i am a full-bluray user. I dont know if u know wat im talking about. Wat i mean, i am already used to 3TB hard disks (i have a NAS with 4 right now). The reason i dont make bdremuxes is, i only have full-br or bdrips. The reason is simple, for movies i really like, or i consider "a must have" i have em on FULL-BR. The other movies i dont like that much, i have em on bdrip. But not remuxes, there is no sense to prefer a bdremux if u have the full-br. When i make bdrips, i am talking about picking a full-br and make a bdrip with the maximum quality so my family can watch it (i dont have physical blu ray player so i see the full brs from the pc), or for other purposes. It is nothing from other world, the only thing im asking is a little tiny effort to allow the encoder to offer more quality options, just the same as handbrake uses. I mean, this will not take away the user-friendly interface of DVDFAb, its only 3 or 4 more options.. thats it......

Anyways, by the time i write this, i returned to handbrake. It seems that one of the reasons that it was taking me 20 hours to encode was the high temperatures of the core now that the winter is coming, the time spent have been reduced to 10 hours. And i even managed to raise the quality options even more, taking me to 12 hours. This is even less time than DVDfab uses, and the results are far far far better than dvdfab's using software+software. This is derived of course, for the lack of options as well, since some options are intended to reduce the encode time maintaining the quality. Something that u CANT change in dvdfab.
            Last edited by nimbus; 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Nimbus
              You need to read the forum rules and policies if you want to be able to continue to post here. Quality is subjective, but will never be better than the original disc or the stream it contains.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
              X