No announcement yet.

Ability to specify custom output size for .iso instead of just 50/25/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Copy Ability to specify custom output size for .iso instead of just 50/25/9

8 years ago or so when I was using a competitors product to copy my DVD's I could specify the output size of the compression to anything I wanted for my .iso. I honestly don't remember what the program was that I was using - but being able to specify a size was great.
    It was much like when you create a .mkv file in DVDFab, and when you go to the advanced options - you can use the slide bar to specify what output size you wanted the file to be.
    This is exactly what you were able to do with your final .iso file for DVDs in this other product.

Now that I'm starting to rip my BDs into files to save on hard drive and play through my network, I would love to keep the files as .iso but get it less that 25GB, as you can definitely get much lower than 25 and still retain great quality. (And 3D .iso files play great on my media player, but 3D .mkv files do not, unless they are SBS)

The only option to get under 25 is to convert it to .mkv - and I would really like to keep the files as .iso incase I need to burn it off to a disc or something in the future.

I'd like to second this suggestion. I realize that some of the size limitations are in place to prevent unburnable ISO files, and I understand the need for these. However, when you configure the custom DVD and Blu-ray sizes, the need for a lower limit is much less obvious than the need for an upper one.

I've done a blu-ray "main movie" copy of a large movie which came out as a 17 GB .iso file, burned it to a disk, and it worked just fine... so there's no compatibility issue that would prevent someone from creating an ISO file which is less than 90% of the capacity of the media. However, the lower limit of the custom BD-25 is 21500 MB (90.1%) Why?

If the upper limit was retained while the lower limit was relaxed, you could allow each media type to compress a file up to the maximum allowable size (preventing unburnable ISO files) while still giving people the flexibility to create an ISO of any size smaller than that.

For example, if dgrams wants a 12 GB ISO file, he would set the BD-25 custom size to 12000 and then compress the original blu-ray to fit a BD-25. If he wants a 3GB ISO, he could set the DVD-5 custom size to 3000.

The code to allow custom sizes for ISO files already exists. Relaxing the minimum values on the custom setting would be a quick and easy way to implement this new feature.

Comment

This or something similar has been requested many times but never put in due I think to the potential problems it could cause. For DVDs, DVDFab does not re-encode the video and does not compress the audio at all, so there are practical limits on how small a DVD-Video folder can be made using the faster transcoding technique that DVDFab uses. On Blu-rays, it would be quite possible, depending on the settings you used, to have an output folder where the size of the audio streams exceeded what was left for the video, which would be almost unwatchable. Advanced users could avoid these problems, but I suspect it would be a support nightmare for the many users who could not. They may have other reasons unknownn to me, but I think that is the "why" you asked about.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

It definitely has its place amongst those that are a little more advanced, and who want to specify levels of quality that the individual user are satisfied with.
        Now that I am starting to go away from disc and play files through the network, this is desired even more so to control the size of my files, but having the final say in the end quality of the output.

I myself would be in this more for the bluray - not so much so DVD, as DVD files are pretty small in comparison - but I would assume someone would like this feature for DVD as well (which sounds more difficult)

Comment

In the past it was actually requested more for DVDs to cope with discs that were two-sided or required a disc change to watch the entire movie (like Schindler's List). This could be accomplished with DVDFab Merge mode but still required compression since the output size could not be set high enough to fit all the content (DVDShrink allows up to around 30GB for a DVD as I recall, but it is not strictly DVD-Video standard compliant and can't be burned to disc or played on a DVD player). It is possible they might change this policy at some point or maybe add an 'expert mode' to DVDFab that might allow it.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ah.. DVDShrink. That sounds familiar. I think that is what I used to use - years and years ago. Good times. haha

Comment

Working...
            X