PAL to NTSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Copy PAL to NTSC

I am just hoping soon that dvdfab comes out with the tool to help with this conversion because most of the software I have found is riddled with viruses and spyware and just plain sucks. I know I have read that this conversion is more difficult but something I have ran into twice this month with a gift from a relative that lives outside the us and has given my kids a pal formatted dvd.

I would like to see this feature added also

I have run into the same problem with gifts from my relatives in Europe. Sometimes they forget to order from a US site and we get a PAL version of a DVD. It would be too cost restrictive, and they would probably find it insulting anyway, to send it back. Even as a mildly priced add on, this would be beneficial.

Please look into this, Thanks....

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your issue.
      Are you saying that when you copy the disk to DVD9 (or even DVD5) if the input was PAL, it stays PAL. And if it was NTSC, it stays NTSC ?
      In that case, yes I can see the benefit of selecting either an NTSC output or a PAL one.
      In the interim, you could rip the videos to a full resolution avi, then use something like DVD-Flick to re-encode them to DVD in the format of your choosing. It's a bit clunky though !

Mutt
      Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley.Drat View Post
        I'm not sure I understand your issue.
        Are you saying that when you copy the disk to DVD9 (or even DVD5) if the input was PAL, it stays PAL. And if it was NTSC, it stays NTSC ?
        In that case, yes I can see the benefit of selecting either an NTSC output or a PAL one.
        In the interim, you could rip the videos to a full resolution avi, then use something like DVD-Flick to re-encode them to DVD in the format of your choosing. It's a bit clunky though !

Mutt
        Then i would rather make the choice of creating a copy (muxing) of the image and audio in to a MKV container, to keep everything from the source untouched and then use that to do the DVD convert.
        Turning it in to avi requires encoding, which means messing with the original quality from the very beginning, which muxing to a MKV container does not.
        Then its possible to use something like TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 to run it as a NTSC-DVD or PAL-DVD project and keep everything mostly untouched.
        Last edited by Per K; 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Per K,
          I like it. That is simplicity itself, I like it. Less processing means less 'artifacts', though in actuality as SMD pointed out recently PAL sources are usually at 576 and NTSC are at 480 so 'at some point' some encoding will have to take place to extrapolate or interpolate the image respectively.
          Mutt
          Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

I purchase DVD's on a regular basis from Amazon.UK and come as PAL Region 2. I use the existing DVDFab 9.1.9.4 to "back-up" the DVD's using the Customize function, picking each part of the DVD individually, the copy then gives you a Region 0 disc. I can then play it on my regular Canadian DVD player which plays Regions 1 or 0. I know that all DVD and blu ray players are not made equally, however it works well for me. The PAL aspect does not matter, it's changing the region code that allows me to play them. Give it a try.

Comment

per October262 in another thread.....

october262
              "...the disc may be region free but your region 2 dvd is PAL format. your
              dvdplayer is NTSC. dvdfab cannot convert PAL to NTSC format."

This is a conversion function that we would like to see in DVDFab, instead of doing 'work-arounds' that do not actually do what we want them to do.

Signals.... Any chance of this?

Thanks,
              miniar

Comment

I could not say for sure, but it is far more likely now than in the past since Fab now has an MPEG-2 encoder built-in for the DVD Creator module. It would be nice to have, I agree. Maybe it can at least be put on the "to-do" list. I will do a little abject begging.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                X