720x480 & 720x576

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper 720x480 & 720x576

This actually goes for both the DVD Ripper and Video Converter: 720x480 and 720x576 output when converting DVD to other formats, such as MKV H264.
    Then also the option of choosing a higher bitrate than 4100 kbps.

When you hit the Advanced settings button and there is a drop down box to select resolution, you can actually enter any values you like but separated by an 'x' to denote width from height.
    I tend to prefer 528x396 for the old 4:3 aspect items ('The Munsters' most recently) but that is never on the list so just write it in, then copy to each subsequent episode.
    On the bit rate front, that's a VERY high bit rate (4100 kbps), are you sure that the system is not just telling you that adding more to this is not adding anything worthwhile to the stream ?

Mutt
    Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

4100 kbps for h264 encoding from DVD sources approaches the bitrate of the original DVD, even exceeds it in some cases, so I think Mutt is probably right that Fab is trying to tell you that you might be better off just using VOB passthrough. In the tests that I ran years ago when higher rates were selectable, it added nothing to the admittedly subjective image quality for h264 MP4 and just made the files larger.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Unless you're cropping away any black mattes that may exist in your DVD source. I recommend that you keep the original height resolution, ie: 480 for NTSC or 576 for PAL
        I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
        I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

SMD,
          Not sure if the last post was aimed at me or at Per K
          I never aim resolutions larger than original resolutions (what would be the point ?) but sometimes I have a file size or more usual bitrate issue (needs to be fed over local WiFi (though AC is removing that constraint) That's why I'll choose a lower resolution, keeping the frame rate to keep it watchable and not just reducing the bitrate to introduce unnecessary artifacts.
          Maybe I missed your point though
          Cheers
          Mutt
          Mutt ... All-In-One Lifetime Member

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley.Drat View Post
            SMD,
            Not sure if the last post was aimed at me or at Per K
            I never aim resolutions larger than original resolutions (what would be the point ?) but sometimes I have a file size or more usual bitrate issue (needs to be fed over local WiFi (though AC is removing that constraint) That's why I'll choose a lower resolution, keeping the frame rate to keep it watchable and not just reducing the bitrate to introduce unnecessary artifacts.
            Maybe I missed your point though
            Cheers
            Mutt
            You mentioned in your previous post that "I tend to prefer 528x396 for the old 4:3 aspect items". Given that the original DVD pixel height of these sources will be either 480 pixels for NTSC or 576 pixels for PAL. Personally, if I was generating encodes from such 4:3 sources, I would use 768x576 pixels for PAL or 640x480 for NTSC.

Cheers
            I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
            I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
              Unless you're cropping away any black mattes that may exist in your DVD source. I recommend that you keep the original height resolution, ie: 480 for NTSC or 576 for PAL
              What i am working with at the moment is tv-show DVD's with 4:3 image. On those i want to keep the original pixel size 100% intact.
              The other thing about encoding to h264 MKV, is also that the progressive scan that is being done instead, deals with interlacing errors that there can be on these elder DVD releases of tv-shows, which i have noticed that something like meny of the Xena episodes are suffering of on DVD, but where progressive takes care of it.

The bitrate of being able to set them higher, is for being able to keep the original bitrate on the DVD's mostly intact, where i do have DVD's who has a bitrate just above 5000 kbps.

I'm just a guy who naturally also wants the rips i do, to be in a perfect quality, i do also have plenty of storage space for it on the 3TB USB drive i have entirely dedicated for tv-shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Per K View Post
                What i am working with at the moment is tv-show DVD's with 4:3 image. On those i want to keep the original pixel size 100% intact.
                Agreed... Using the same resolution as your DVD source for your encode is what I used to do in the days when HDD's were much smaller and more expensive. Nowadays, I set DVDFab to 'MKV passthrough' mode save the original streams.

Originally posted by Per K View Post
                The other thing about encoding to h264 MKV, is also that the progressive scan that is being done instead, deals with interlacing errors that there can be on these elder DVD releases of tv-shows, which i have noticed that something like meny of the Xena episodes are suffering of on DVD, but where progressive takes care of it.
                As you probably already know, the MPEG-2 video stream on DVD's can offer different interlacing methods. Which differs again depending on whether the disc is NTSC or PAL.

Some of the interlacing effects that you see, such as 3:2 pull-down may look exaggerated on a computer, especially if media player your using does not correctly observe the pull-down flag information and displays the interlaced fields instead of removing them.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X