This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black bars request

Would it be possible to have a feature where you can remove the black bars in dvd-dvd mode

How would that be accomplished with a 2.35:1 ratio film with out chopping off the sides ?

It would be like taking a 1.85:1 and making it Full screen (1.33:1) Pan & Scan, or as I like to call it Chop and Crop .....
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

In many cases the black bars are generated by the playback device. Also, removing them from a DVD I think would require completely decoding and re-encoding the video, which 1) is very slow and 2)DVDFab does not currently perform. You can do it in DVD to Mobile.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        ...removing them from a DVD I think would require completely decoding and re-encoding the video... DVDFab does not currently perform....
        So are you saying that DVDFab only does transcode (and not recode) when compressing to DVD5? I always like inside information.

Comment

That is correct. That's why it's so fast.
          Originally posted by Complication View Post
          So are you saying that DVDFab only does transcode (and not recode) when compressing to DVD5? I always like inside information.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            In many cases the black bars are generated by the playback device. Also, removing them from a DVD I think would require completely decoding and re-encoding the video, which 1) is very slow and 2)DVDFab does not currently perform. You can do it in DVD to Mobile.
            That was the first thing I thought, but he did say DVD-DVD mode. But in either case you are still chopping off the sides of a 2.35 image to remove the horiz. bars. I guess if I was using DVD to Mobile to play on a small device, i.e. iTouch, etc. then I guess I would want to remove the H bars, but if view on 50+ inch HDTV I would want the whole 2.35 image ....
            AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Here is a question for all the tech guys how come transformers revenge of the fallen is 2.35 on a dvd yet when foxtel show it it is 1.85.1 with no black bars and no distortion.It is full 16:9

Comment

Either they've composed a special edition for Fox or Fox is stretching it and cutting off the sides.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
                  That was the first thing I thought, but he did say DVD-DVD mode. But in either case you are still chopping off the sides of a 2.35 image to remove the horiz. bars. I guess if I was using DVD to Mobile to play on a small device, i.e. iTouch, etc. then I guess I would want to remove the H bars, but if view on 50+ inch HDTV I would want the whole 2.35 image ....
                  Using file to mobile I've removed the black bars on 2.35 movies and still get the full 2.35 aspect ratio. For example a Blu-ray that was 1920 x 1080 I used fab and cropped to 1920 x 816 just removing the top and bottom bars leaving the sides intact. This works great for files that are played on a HDTV LCD through the PC, the playback software does add the black bars back unless I set a preferred zoom.
                  Formerly DVDKingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                    Here is a question for all the tech guys how come transformers revenge of the fallen is 2.35 on a dvd yet when foxtel show it it is 1.85.1 with no black bars and no distortion.It is full 16:9
                    You can achieve this easily yourself by hitting the Zoom button on you TV setup menu. The sides are getting chopped off, only way to achieve this

I have to Zoom all my 2.35 (and 1.85) LETTERBOX (Pillarbox) DVD's, otherwise they are very stretched/distorted, very wide horiz bars on the 2.35 if not Zoomed ...

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

YouTube でお気に入りの動画や音楽を楽しみ、オリジナルのコンテンツをアップロードして友だちや家族、世界中の人たちと共有しましょう。

Cheers
                    Last edited by AlienX69; 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM.
                    AX

Comment

On foxtel i no they aren't cropped or anything or any sides cut of so i wish i knew how they broadcast it.Transformers revenge of the fallen was fantastic it was in hd and no black bars and no sides cut of or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                        On foxtel i no they aren't cropped or anything or any sides cut of so i wish i knew how they broadcast it.Transformers revenge of the fallen was fantastic it was in hd and no black bars and no sides cut of or anything.
                        Unless you compared the movie at similar frames to the Blu-Ray, I don't think you would be able to tell if they cut the sides off.

Comment

Working...
                        X