No announcement yet.

Change the general install process due to firewall killing DVDFab 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Change the general install process due to firewall killing DVDFab 10

I honestly think that this security with DVDFab 10 has gone a bit to far.

When i experienced software problems with DVDFab 10, i decided to uninstal it using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of every trace of it.
    After i then had re-installed DVDFab 10 again and tried to run the software, i was prompted with an error message about the software either being damaged, manipulated or hacked and that the file would no longer work.

I naturally wonder what the heck is going on, so i tried uninstalling and re-installing again, just to get the very same error message again when trying to run
    DVDFab 10.
    So i chose naturally to completely uninstall it again and then it hit me: Windows Firewall
    I tried to completely shut the firewall down and gave it another shot and now i could run DVDFab 10 after the install.
    Then i activated Windows Firewall again and tried to run DVDFab 10 once more and NOW i was prompted with a message from Windows Firewall, that DVDFab 10 was trying to access the internet and asked if it should be allowed or not, which i naturally said yes to and DVDFab 10 loaded perfectly.

The change i would like to see in DVDFab 10: The total removal of this software killing option you have built in to the software, because security software actually can kill DVDFab 10.
    I can only wonder how many who have experienced this same problem as me, but then decided to abandon DVDFab 10 and move on to other similar softwares, because they are not aware of this actually huge problem, that it might be their own security software who is actually able to completely kill DVDFab 10, because the security in DVDFab 10 has gone a bit to far.
    Last edited by Per K; 08-19-2018, 10:46 AM.

Sorry you had this problem, but the measures are there to protect the validity of the DVDFab license and are necessary. I think in your case Windows firewall is being overly aggressive. I experienced the same problems with it several years ago when it blocked several applications. I turned it off and have had no further problems. My PC is protected by Malwarebytes Pro version, which can easily be set to ignore DVDFab components and processes.

Let me remind you that Microsoft is a member of the movie studio association that sued DVDFab in 2014, so what their firewall chooses to block likely has nothing to do with PC safety. Likewise many of the Windows 10 "security" updates that have caused problems for many DVDFab users.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Never switched to Windows 10, i use Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.
      The security software i use is F-Secure Internet Security, but sadly their security softwares does not come with their own firewall, they depend on Windows Firewall.
      So i'm kinda stuck with that firewall from Microsoft.

Comment

I understand your issues and I am still on WIn7 x64, but I no longer let it update.If I trusted M$oft I would let the firewall run with less aggressive settings, but I don't really feel that I need it presently..
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Per K You didn't state whether or not you are using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of DVDFab. Although I am running Windows 10 Pro x64, the error message you mention is what I get when I try to launch any newer version of 32 bit DVDFab. If I run as Administrator, the problem disappears. I cannot remember if Win 7 offers this option, but in Win 10 you can set to always run as Administrator under the properties tab when you right clock on the file. I too use F-secure that is offered by my cable provider. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X