Drive-specific instances of DVDFab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Drive-specific instances of DVDFab

I have 4 Blu-ray drives in my computer (and have 2 more waiting to go in) that I want to be able to use to rip with simultaneously. When you select the option "Allow running multiple instances of DVDFab", I would really like to see a sub-option become available which allows you to designate a specific drive for each individual instance. This would allow you to eject a completed disc and enter another one without it having any effect on any of the other instances of DVDFab.

I just bought the complete collection of Game Of Thrones Seasons 1 - 8 about a week ago, and I am in the process of ripping the discs (all 33 of them!) to ISO image using "Clone/Burn" for 1:1 copy (for archival purposes). Once that is done for all the discs, I will then rip each individual episode from the ISO images so I can encode them to MKV files and place them on my personal home media server. I have 4 instances of DVDFab running at once, one for each drive.

Currently however, every time I insert a new disc, every single instance of DVDFab tries to read the disc at once if they are left open from the previous batch, which cannot be good for my drives with multiple instances trying to get read time on one drive, all at once. So instead, I am forced to wait until all 4 discs complete the ISO creation process and eject all the discs, close down all instances of DVDFab, insert 4 new discs and wait for them to be read by the drives, then open up 4 new instances of DVDFab one at a time (pressing "Cancel" repeatedly when it tries to read all 4 new discs in sequence). Only after all that is done, can I then go back and tell each instance which drive I want it to read for the next batch of 4 discs. This is an extremely inefficient and tedious process, and it really should not be this difficult to manage multiple disc rips at the same time.

There is another product I use which I will not name here (mainly used when I'm ripping only the main title, directly from the disc vs. from a previously ripped ISO image), which allows for what they call "Single Drive Mode".

When that option is enabled, every time you open a new instance of the application, it presents a window with a drop-down menu containing an option for "All Drives", plus other options for selecting any single drive you want. This allows for a much more streamlined process of ripping multiple discs at once, since rips will never all complete at exactly the same time. With that option, I can have each instance only read 1 specific drive, so that when I open that drive and insert a new disc, only that one instance of the application tries to read the new disc, leaving all the rest of the instances to their own tasks without interference.

Essentially, this is what I would like to see in the options to enable this new feature:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFab drive specific instances.png
Views:	611
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	378147

If this option was made available, I would be able to use DVDFab almost exclusively for all my ripping needs, but as it stands, I typically split ripping duties about 50/50 with the other application.

Try selecting the drive to process in Common Settings->Drives, choosing only one for each instance (and before loading any discs). Never tried this, but it might allow it if your system I/O can support that many simultaneously. I think you will eventually reach a point where the speed of all instances begins to diminish as the SATA controller maxes out and the internal busses are full. Check the output carefully for playability.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Awesome, thanks for that...it is a start, and will definitely help out when I have a lot of discs to rip all at once (like when I visit bargain bins & cheap used movies, etc.).

I would still like to see the feature I mentioned above added, however. While your method does work, it is definitely more of a "manual" process. Using this method, you would have to go back in the settings and re-check all the boxes again if you want to put it back to default settings for the next time the application is opened. Not only that, but re-checking boxes that you have unchecked, for whatever reason requires a restart of the application to take effect (even though unchecking the boxes does not). This could be a bit of a pain if you only want to change the drive preference for a single instance of the app, without affecting any other instances you may have open & performing tasks.

With the method I mentioned in the other application I use, it is more of a temporary setting, vs a persistent setting. You select the drive you want to use immediately upon launching the app, then that particular instance of the application will only use that specific drive for the duration of the session. As soon as that instance is closed, it is reset again automatically, so that the next time you open an instance, you can choose from your drives again, completely independently of any other instances that are open.

Thanks for the help though, I will definitely put it to good use!

Comment

Working...
      X