This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make dvd fab better

you should add a way to make dvd's be copied all in 100% quality with no diminish, and a feature to copy PAL movies.

It will copy PAL movies now, it just won't convert them to NTSC.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

And it copies them at 100% with no quality loss as well but that is the DVD9 option and you need to use Double Layer DVDs for that which are a little pricey still

Comment

I think he is right. DVDFab should create a way to fit 100% of a 9GB disc on a 4.4GB disc with no quality loss like magic. DVDFab could make a zillion dollars. Of course they might get arrested for violating the laws of physics, but if Homer Simpson can do it why not DVDFAb?

Sorry if I've been mean, but requests like this just tickle me. Now back to your regularly scheduled moderating.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
          And it copies them at 100% with no quality loss as well but that is the DVD9 option and you need to use Double Layer DVDs for that which are a little pricey still
          The problem is that even is you use Double Layer DVDs, DVD Fab may still lose quality due to a limit of 8000MB for Dual Layer DVDs, despite the fact dual layers can handle up to 8147MB (both pressed dvds and dvd-r).

So, if you have a pressed dvd with a movie of 8090MB of size, it will be reduced to 99% of it's quality (8000MB), even if you do use a Double Layer DVD-R. So there is quality loss even with DL DVDs sometimes, so it's not a 1:1-proof method.
          Last edited by kurkosdr; 03-05-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
            The problem is that even is you use Double Layer DVDs, DVD Fab may still lose quality due to a limit of 8000MB for Dual Layer DVDs, despite the fact dual layers can handle up to 8147MB (both pressed dvds and dvd-r).
            This is a setting specific to the destination media. The DVDFab default is conservative.

Try changing the DVD Writable Media (DVD-9) Size in the settings to your desired value.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
              This is a setting specific to the destination media. The DVDFab default is conservative.
              The conservative setting for DLs should be 8147MB. Every proper disc should be able to handle that. There might be exceptions with some very cheap discs, but they are just that. Exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post

Try changing the DVD Writable Media (DVD-9) Size in the settings to your desired value.

Conservative or not, compressed or not, I defy anyone to see a difference on a film with a 1:1 copy ratio down to a 95% compression... the Human eye just can't see and the Human ear can't hear changes that slight, even if played on professional equipment.

An oscilloscope might pick up the difference (if one knows how to read it) but they'll never spot it on the output to a normal commercial TV and stereo.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post

So, if you have a pressed dvd with a movie of 8090MB of size, it will be reduced to 99% of it's quality (8000MB), even if you do use a Double Layer DVD-R. So there is quality loss even with DL DVDs sometimes, so it's not a 1:1-proof method.
                  DVDFab common settings write you can change the output size to what you desire for SL and DL media. I have my SL setting at 4472mb and my DL setting at 8152mb so no quality loss there

Comment

I think that kurk has said that the settings cannot be changed in the FREE version in another post.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Well then you get what you get when you only use the free version

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                        Well then you get what you get when you only use the free version
                        Correct, but the limitation is present in the Gold/Platinum versions too, and you have to go to the "write" options and change it yourself to the correct size.

Most people don't know how to do that. They might not even know the limitation is there in the first place. They just purchase DVD fab and expect it to make 1:1 copies every time. So they might think they are getting an 1:1 copy all times, but what they actually get sometimes is a 1:0.99 copy.

In fact, the first time the problem came up, I was surprised by the limitation too. And I consider myself and average user.

So, please make DVD fab better and shift the limit to 8147MB. Nowadays, even the cheapest media can handle that, thanks to new technology in recordable media.
                        Last edited by kurkosdr; 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Gold/Platinum is not even supported anymore and Fab has been improved since then because now you can change the limit.
                          People that doesn't know how to change it in the paid version isn't missing anything anyway and there is a tutorial that explains how but most never explore the common settings to see what changes can be made.
                          Like AGJ said you get what you pay for.
                          In any case I'm sure Fengtao will consider your request for the free version.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
                            Gold/Platinum is not even supported anymore and Fab has been improved since then because now you can change the limit.
                            You can change the limit in Gold/Platinum too. The problem is that the default limit is wrong (8000MB vs 8147MB). And I am half-convinced that this is the case in the "DVD to DVD" version too.

People that doesn't know how to change it in the paid version isn't missing anything anyway and there is a tutorial that explains how but most never explore the common settings to see what changes can be made.
                            It may sound cliche, but most people don't even touch the settings. They just keep the defaults. Especially in the "one click" suites like DVD to DVD. So, if the default settings are wrong, many users will stick with them. So why not provide the correct settings in the defaults to solve the problem?

Like AGJ said you get what you pay for.
                            In any case I'm sure Fengtao will consider your request for the free version.
                            Thank you. I have quite a number of computers (laptops, desktops etc) and I can't install the paid version in all of them, as this would break the license. So I still use the free version in some computers.
                            Last edited by kurkosdr; 03-07-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The main reason I suspect for the default being as it is, is because most errors occur at the outer edge of the disc so users won't have problems and you can use the paid version on more than one computer, the only catch is you can't run both at the same time or your key may get blacklisted. That's just a security measure.

Comment

Working...
                              X