No announcement yet.

Media Player Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have noticed alot of profiles are AVI 264. Is this prefered over MKV 264? I just started ripping and would hate to change format 1/2 way through.
    I don't mind the long rip time. Just want a good video and sound on my theater system.
    Thanks
    sorry for the noob questions still learning
    Tony

Comment

I'm hardly a videophile, but since no one has answered yet, here goes...
      For starters, mkv and .avi are containers.

These days, .mkv is the preferred container as it is a flexible, open source alternative to .avi and other containers...amenable to editing and such.

There's no difference in quality re: playback, at least based on what I've seen and read.
      I have 100's if not >1000 .avi conversions that look awesome on a 42" HDTV.
      I also have quite a few .mkv and honestly, I don't see a difference in quality.

I'm not about to convert all my excellent .avi files to equally excellent .mkv files when personally, there is no advantage for me to do so.

Comment

hv 335t streaming

Hello Group
        I am very very new to this, have just got a hv335t mediacenter to please my son--have been ripping for years ,never touched a mediacenter before!!!Sigh--out for trouble!
        Have carefully read argosys minimal manuals--googled a lot I managed to make a wired connection from hv335t-linksys router and xp pc.Fine now I can from hv335t see and play files in my pc(on tv).But according to argosys manual I should be able to "stream" from pc to hv335t(tv) without a hdd in the hv335t!! I am completely lost here-- any help??
        Hardy

Comment

Yes streaming from your PC to the hv335t is doable, although I don't use mine in this way. I have a 2tb drive that I installed into the media player and play my movies from there. You can also just load your movies onto a USB desktop hard drive and play your movies from it. Streaming over a network can be dicy at best, especially for high bit rate files.

You have to set up your streaming network and call it "Workgroup". Win 7 "homegroup" configuration doesn't work....win7 "homegroup" network is pretty useless unles everything is win7 compliant.

There's plenty of info on the net on how to configure your PC for networking...start there.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            Anyhow, I find this quite inefficient as MKV is the format of choice and I currently rip all my titles with album art, synopsis, multiple audio, multiple subitles and chapter breaks all present (Fab does not currently support these features but I understand that they are working on them but no timeframe has been indicated)
            Crap man! This sounds perfect, how do you go about ripping an MKV with all these features? (I know DVDFab does not support so its probably 3rd party but throw me a bone over here!)

Comment

Originally posted by hardyhansen View Post
              Hello Group
              I am very very new to this, have just got a hv335t mediacenter to please my son--have been ripping for years ,never touched a mediacenter before!!!Sigh--out for trouble!
              Have carefully read argosys minimal manuals--googled a lot I managed to make a wired connection from hv335t-linksys router and xp pc.Fine now I can from hv335t see and play files in my pc(on tv).But according to argosys manual I should be able to "stream" from pc to hv335t(tv) without a hdd in the hv335t!! I am completely lost here-- any help??
              Hardy
              'Streaming' from an winXP pc internal/external HD containing movie folders/files is very straighforward if you follow the Argosy networking instructions .. when you select 'Net' on the Argosy menu you should see the XP pc ('WORKGROUP') & the logon should be automatic (assuming the default 'use simple file sharing' selected under 'Folder' options.

On a win7x64Home , your success for an auto logon can be a problem (google this up & you can see others having troubles) ... win7Home doesn't have ability to run group/local net policy pgms like 'gpedit.msc' or 'secpol.msc' under the 'start/run' ... you can run these in winXP (tho you won't need to) but must have win764Professional or better to get this extended control options. So if you have win7 & want to access pc for streaming, suggest 1st: try it & see if if it first 'sees' the pc & then actually logs on ... if problem then 2nd: check your Argosy firmware to see it's at least at '2.3' level ... here's part of an Argosy techsupport email to me:
              ------------------------------------------------------------------
              -Click the start button and type secpol.msc in the search function.
              -Browse to "Local Policies" -> "Security Options". Now look for the entry "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. Click on the drop down menu and select "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". Apply the settings.
              -In the Advanced sharing settings page of Network and sharing center, you need to have it set as Work/Home profile. Try
              -Enable network discovery
              -Turn on file and print sharing
              -Turn off password protected sharing
              -Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.
              -Please check related policies.
              -Enter “gpedit.msc” in the Start Search box.
              -Open “Computer Configuration”/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Settings.
              -In the right pane, enable the following policies:
              -Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation
              -Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
              -Also please disable the following policies.
              -Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
              -Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
              -Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares
              -Reboot PC to activate the new policy

If the above still does not work, edit the following settings in Registry:
              -Click Start button and type regedit in Search box and select regedit.exe to execute
              -Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa and change the value as follows
              -Right click on "LimitBlankPasswordUse", select Modify and change the valuedata to 1
              -Right click on "NoLmHash", select Modify and change the value data to 0
              -Right click on "everyoneincludesanonymous", select Modify and change value data to 1
              -Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters, right click on "restrictnullsessaccess" select Modify and change the value data to 0
              -Robot the PC again
              ------------------------------------------------
              ... if still problems with network streaming contact: support@argosyusa.com

sorry it's maybe more than you wanted to know, but MS went rather wild with their default win7 networking settings. Sharing folders/files between a mixture of XP & win7 pc's on local net(workgroup) IS easy but when you connect a media player you may well have to twittle around a bit to get it to logon. jak

Comment

Originally posted by Yapps View Post
                Crap man! This sounds perfect, how do you go about ripping an MKV with all these features? (I know DVDFab does not support so its probably 3rd party but throw me a bone over here!)
                All free software, Sorry, can't cannot mention because of the Policy xxxxxxx..
                Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 09:03 PM.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Have a quick look at this post !!!

Originally posted by Yapps View Post
                  Last edited by GregiBoy; 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Dam, not quick enough...

Comment

Working...
                    X