New computer (laptop) for DVD Fab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New computer (laptop) for DVD Fab

I have two choices of LTs that I want to use for DVDFab. One has an NVidia GT425M GPU (1GB) and the other has an ATI 5650HD (1GB). Will the Cuda on the NVidia kill the ATI which can only use DXVA or would it not (same core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, Win Home Premium x64)?

And what if I bought and used coreAVC, how does this work with the GPUs?

Nvidia is what most around here would recommend. You will get more for your video card $$ if it is CUDA.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by larrsz View Post
      I have two choices of LTs that I want to use for DVDFab. One has an NVidia GT425M GPU (1GB) and the other has an ATI 5650HD (1GB). Will the Cuda on the NVidia kill the ATI which can only use DXVA or would it not (same core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, Win Home Premium x64)?

And what if I bought and used coreAVC, how does this work with the GPUs?

Signal's advice is, as usual, good.

When you are considering doing DVD or BD rips, there are, however, other considerations.

First... the type of computer.

Lap-tops have no cooling system at all. (I'm not counting the holes in the case around the LT)...those holes are next to useless. Even under ideal conditions, the LT sitting on a hard surface with good room ventilation, will still run hot.

If you happen to be reclining in bed, and bring the LT onto the covers in front of you, what little cooling you had is cut in half (at least).

LTs are also blessed by the resellers with a (usually) cheap DVD/BD drive, Matshita is a popular choice, and these devices are not as tolerant of the heat as the other components are.

Partial (or complete) early drive failure is a fairly common occurrance.

If you are dead-set on a Lappy, suggest you invest in a GOOD drive and run it as an external drive.

Ideal would be a desktop computer with all the bells and whistles you want, with a proper cooling system.

For what it's worth...

DC

Comment

I agree with DC.

Laptops + disk ripping = trouble

I would say 90% of troubles of not being able to read/write on this forum emanate from Laptops/MatSHITa drives, usually heat related.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

The comments about laptops are generally true, but if you get one that is engineered as a "desktop replacement" it can work well. These generally have better cooling. I have one like that I have used for almost a year now copying and compressing Blu-rays and DVDs with no problems. It has a nvidia CUDA card and a quad-core i7 CPU and runs warm but does not overheat and shut down. I never operate it on fabric, always on a desk with a notebook cooling pad with fans. Machines in this class are generally in the $2000-$2500 price range or higher.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Ref New Computer

I'm about to purchase a Laptop, a new Gateway quad, and I would like to know is it possible to load other programs on it or erase programs that are not needed that have already been loaded? I have been told that windows 7 kind of limits some programs.

Also would like to know what is the difference between MP-4 sound and AC 3 5.1? I'm kind of a new user to a lot of the terminology. I just want to convert a lot of my DVD Movies to Divx so I can get more movies onto a DVD. I also would like to ask since I'm a beginner what dvdfab programs are best for copying a DVD Movie then converting it to AVI for divx? I have already purchased dvdfab ripper but I am having some problems with sound sync and I get a message about no AC-3 program. I think I should have purchased DVD Copy first, but then can ripper or converter have been better?

Thanks Lou

Comment

Seems to me you would need DVDFab DVD Ripper. AC-3 is (normally) the audio stream on a DVD. You can copy it exactly using one of the "audiocopy" profiles if your player supports it. MP4 files usually contain AAC-encoded audio but again there are other options. There are many options for compressing and playing DVDs on TV. Read around some here in the forum. Most users use h264 rather than DivX, based on what I've seen.

Comment

Working...
              X