Reliable Blu-Ray R's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable Blu-Ray R's?

I heard issues from memorex and ritek. Does anyone on this forum have a Blu-Ray recordable that they have used a few years, (brand) that still works? Or, what are the known reliable media that I can trust?

I have had good luck with Optical Quantum brand, but I have only been using them about a year, so no data on longevity. You can get them at Meritline and other online vendors. How well they work for you will depend to some extent on the firmware in your drive.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I have also been using Optical Quantum media. Overall, my experience with OQ has been good with the occasional bad disc. I tried the printable discs but they are not the same and I burned many coasters so stick with the standard Logo Top. I have been getting the best price from Newegg.com, often less than $1 per disc in a 25pack spindle. I can't speak for degradation quite yet, my earliest burns are about just over a year but the few that I have rewatched seemed fine. I've burned several hundred and sometimes the discs look a little different from one spindle to another, not sure if they are produced at a different location or what. Also, if you are shopping you might want to look for a brand called Vinpower - they are Optical Quantum sold under a different name but sometimes cheaper.

Comment

Try Supermediastore.com for all of your blank media needs. I remember at one point companies like Meritline were selling fake Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs.

Comment

I as well use the printable Optical Quantum for 2 yrs with no coasters at all. 80$ for 100 on ebay with free shipping!!

Comment

Originally posted by hanibal View Post
            I as well use the printable Optical Quantum for 2 yrs with no coasters at all. 80$ for 100 on ebay with free shipping!!
            Hannibal, tell me if the manufacturer's ID of your Optical Quantum discs is Philips or Ritek? This is very important when determining what specific discs are subject to data loss.

Comment

phillips

Comment

@SuperFist & Hanibal

After reading your comments, I have some questions, because I just placed an order for 25 pack Optical Quantum inkjet hub BD via Amazon @ $29.95 w/free delivery.

Questions:
                a. I assume by your comment, that the OQ labeled discs are manufactured by a 3rd party (i.e.; Phillips, Ritek)? Is this correct?

b. And, there may be a related quality issue with the OQ BD discs, depending on who the manufacturer may be?

c. If above is true, then is there anyway in knowing in advance?

d. Any experience with some of the AmerCopy band BD disc sold on eBay?

One of my issues with purchasing on-line, is that I reside in the Five-O State, and many of the vendors either don't want to ship to, or charge an-arm-and-a-leg on shipment charges to Hawaii.

Mahalo,
                GadgetVictim

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetVictim View Post
                  @SuperFist & Hanibal

After reading your comments, I have some questions, because I just placed an order for 25 pack Optical Quantum inkjet hub BD via Amazon @ $29.95 w/free delivery.

Questions:
                  a. I assume by your comment, that the OQ labeled discs are manufactured by a 3rd party (i.e.; Phillips, Ritek)? Is this correct?

b. And, there may be a related quality issue with the OQ BD discs, depending on who the manufacturer may be?

c. If above is true, then is there anyway in knowing in advance?

d. Any experience with some of the AmerCopy band BD disc sold on eBay?

One of my issues with purchasing on-line, is that I reside in the Five-O State, and many of the vendors either don't want to ship to, or charge an-arm-and-a-leg on shipment charges to Hawaii.

Mahalo,
                  GadgetVictim
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817607025
                  notice the OQBDR04LT model # on the new egg site. Those are phillips which are fine. Amazon doesn't really have a description like that unfortunately! Once you get the discs, use imgburn to I.D. the discs.
                  also try these if your drive supports them
                  http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97090...4079959&sr=1-1
                  and use this compatibility chart to see if your drive supports them.
                  http://www.verbatim.com/UserFiles/Fi...bility2010.pdf
                  I would be leery about the AmerCopy brand.

Comment

@btufail,
                    Good information...Thank You!!
                    The list price for the Newegg OQ BD-R is really good. However, my problem with Newegg occurs when I type in my zip code on the item for shipping. The shipping cost is then no longer free (or minimal). Newegg tacks on another $19.93 for (FedEx 3 day) shipping to the item. I guess, that's the price they charge me for living in a place with the best weather on the planet.

The Verbatim BD-R listed on the Amazon site was less then I paid for the OQ BD-R that I ordered from them. Also, Amazon honors its free shipping policy to all 50 states. So, I put the Verbatim BD-R on my Wish/Watch List.

When I tried to access the compatibility chart from the last website, the website refused to provide me access to that information. Believe, the blockage is due to an issue related the "UserFiles" step on that IP. Anyway, my BD drive is an LG, model: WH10LS30K.

One more lingering question: Do you know of any vendor that offers BD-R blanks with LightScribe capability? If so, can you point me to that website.

Again, Mahalo Nui Loa
                    GadgetVictim

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetVictim View Post
                      One more lingering question: Do you know of any vendor that offers BD-R blanks with LightScribe capability? If so, can you point me to that website.
                      I read an article that Verbatim is suppose to be releasing BD-R lightscribe 2nd quarter of 2011. But no word yet. But I have to believe once they do, THEY WON'T BE CHEAP!

Comment

Im looking into buying a Blu-ray burner right now, but I would say go with Verbatim. You can get a 20-pack of BD-R discs, (LTH) for 40$ (canadian prices). 2$/disc is a decent deal, especially when it was like 10$ to begin with, plus Verbatim is known for quality.

Though I haven't used Verbatim BD-R LTH discs yet, I have used there DVD's for ages without any playback/burning issues.

Comment

A key factor in the quality of a disc is how long it will play back properly without errors. We have a new sticky thread in the Blu-ray Copy forum where you can post data about the discs you have been using. If you have some data about the lifetime of a particular disc, please take a moment and post it there: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12774
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

@btufail: Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye posted, those Verbatim's BD-R should be out soon. Mahalo!

@Krukester: If you're in the market for BR burner, check out LG WH10LS30K:

I have one, and I love it. Can't beat the price for the punch. It's only about $90 (US) with free shipping. Also, has LightScribe capability.

So far, it works fine with the OQ BD-R I just purchased from Amazon.

Regard,
                            GadgetVictim

Comment

Working...
                            X