Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.264 - 720p (high B/P) VS 1080p (low b/p)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.264 - 720p (high B/P) VS 1080p (low b/p)

Hi peeps,

I have a question for you all about the H.264 Codec

hyperthetically speaking, let say you only have 10GB of space available for you to Rip an average 1080p Blu Ray movie, would you rather:

a) Rip the film at 720p and use a +0.3 bits per pixel value

OR

b) Rip the film at 1080p and use 0.15 to 0.25 bits per pixel value

Which would be better do you think?

Depends on the movie and the screen on the playback device. You could also use the BD9 compression in Blu-ray Copy. These look really good also.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      Depends on the movie and the screen on the playback device. You could also use the BD9 compression in Blu-ray Copy. These look really good also.
      Could you point me to somewhere I could read up on this BD9? not sure what you mean.

Comment

BD-9 is a Blu-ray structure compressed and burned on a DVD-9 DL size disc. They will play on most Blu-ray standalone players (but not on DVD-only players). You can also write them to a BDMV folder on a hard drive. There is more info on the DVDFab website about this option, starting here: http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy.htm#tab1
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the link signals!

So, do you think a 720p movie with a Bits per Pixel of 0.3+ would look better than a 1080p movie ripped from the same source with a Bits per pixel of approximatly 0.16?

Viewing on a 1080p LCD TV.

I'm trying to decide whether Upscaling a 720p would result in a better picture than a 1080p movie with less b/p

Comment

I think they would look about the same for average content and to average eyeballs. The 1080 will take longer to process and the file will be much larger. A movie with lots of fast motion may look better as a high bitrate 720p, but much depends on your TV and the encoding of the source material. Make a short (10-15 minute) clip from a couple of different Blu-rays using the Title start/end settings button and then make some conversions with those as your Source using different settings to see which ones look best to you. It is hard to see much difference between 0.2 and 0.3 b/p to me. Even the default 0.15 looks pretty good.

The BD-9 (AVCHD) process has the advantage of preserving some of the features of the original disc, like the forced subtitles if it has them.

Comment

Working...
            X