DVDFAB Player converter chokes on certain VOBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFAB Player converter chokes on certain VOBs

Appologies for duplication, but posted this first on General Chat re: the player. will delete that entry after I successfully post this one.

Got the unit and was pretty impressed with all of the features. The Demo Preview video that came pre loaded looks impressive from a picture quality standpoint.

Here is my issue. I tried to copy a Ripped Video of the DVD "RIO" that I have on my HD. The DVDFAB Player Conversion Option recognizes all of the VOB files and all are checked off for conversion, however half of them are listed in the DVDFAB conversion box as having 0 time. The files with 0 time all actual have similar video lengths and file sizes as the other VOBs, and play fine from the HD. However when DVDFAB gets to one of these files during the conversion process, it just continues to count up on the elpsed time, but does nothing to the file (as if it does not know what to do with it).

I have had it count up for more than 20 hours with no change. I have also tried to convert these files alone as the only file checked off for conversion, with similar results. DVDFAB initiates as if it is converting, but the only thing that happens is the timere counts off the second.

I have used another freeware converter to convert the VOBs to MP4 and it does so flawlesy. DVDFAB appears to check the Time properties and if it says 0, it chokes on the conversion.

any thoughts,
    DCE

Hi DCE1511
    I'm confused, are you are talking about the HD Media Player???
    Are you trying to play VOB files on it??? I do not think it will work....
    I have put 2 movies on it and the results are amazing, used the DVDFab.HDvideoMp3.mkv.h264.aac profile in DVD Ripper.

If you are also trying to convert individual VOB files within a folder, you do not do that, you convert the whole folder.

I also used version DVDFab 8.1.3.8
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Interesting......the process that I took was similar to yours except that I selected the "DVDFAB Player" profile from the DVDFAB Video Converter menu and chose the player (E:\) as the target destination. Since the movie had already been ripped to my HD, I chose to convert rather than re-rip it.

Both methods have a profile for the "DVDFAB PLayer", Both default to the same conversion format (DVDFab.HDvideoMp3.mkv.h264.aac), and both have a target destination of the "DVDFAB Player". However, the Video Converter method that I used treats the movie as individual VOB rather than a single title, and the program choked after properly converting the first couple of VOBs.

I just tried your method and it worked flawlessly, so it looks like there may be a bug in the Video Converter code. Thanx for the work around, I will use your method from now on.

For debuging purposes, here are the steps that I took (though your results may vary with a different movie):

I have tried this with DVDFAB v8.1.5.6, 8 and 9 with the same results.

1. Select the Video Converter menu
      2. select the "DVDFAB Player" format
      3. Select the DVDFAB player as your target destination (in my case it was drive letter E
      4. Select a parent folder for a previously ripped DVD from your hard drive (in my case "c:\DVDFAB\Temp\Main Movie\Rio" was the folder)
      5. DVDFAB will automatically detect and list in a pop up window, the VOBs in the "video" sub-folder under the selected Parent movie folder
      6. hit the "x" in the upper right to close the window and get back to the DVDFAB Video Converter screen
      7. DVDFAB will have the VOBs listed with 3 characteristics (Number, Title, and Play Time)
      8. In my case some of the Play Times were incorrectly listed as 0 (zero).
      9. Hit Start and DVDFAB will begin conversion of the VOBs to the DVDFab.HDvideoMp3.mkv.h264.aac format.
      10. DVDFAB will continue to correctly convert the VOB Files until it reaches a VOB that has a Play Time of 0. then it will go into an endless loop.

Comment

Hi DCE1511
        Your welcome, glad to help.
        I did not use the player as my target, I used my HDD and transfered the converted file onto the player after it was done, only took a few minutes.
        Again glad it worked for you.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

This is because with some new copy protection schemes, some VOB's are malformed to create this exact problem.

That is why my good friend CBR uses the procedure that he does!!!

Originally posted by DCE1511 View Post
          Interesting......the process that I took was similar to yours except that I selected the "DVDFAB Player" profile from the DVDFAB Video Converter menu and chose the player (E:\) as the target destination. Since the movie had already been ripped to my HD, I chose to convert rather than re-rip it.

Both methods have a profile for the "DVDFAB PLayer", Both default to the same conversion format (DVDFab.HDvideoMp3.mkv.h264.aac), and both have a target destination of the "DVDFAB Player". However, the Video Converter method that I used treats the movie as individual VOB rather than a single title, and the program choked after properly converting the first couple of VOBs.

I just tried your method and it worked flawlessly, so it looks like there may be a bug in the Video Converter code. Thanx for the work around, I will use your method from now on.

For debuging purposes, here are the steps that I took (though your results may vary with a different movie):

I have tried this with DVDFAB v8.1.5.6, 8 and 9 with the same results.

1. Select the Video Converter menu
          2. select the "DVDFAB Player" format
          3. Select the DVDFAB player as your target destination (in my case it was drive letter E
          4. Select a parent folder for a previously ripped DVD from your hard drive (in my case "c:\DVDFAB\Temp\Main Movie\Rio" was the folder)
          5. DVDFAB will automatically detect and list in a pop up window, the VOBs in the "video" sub-folder under the selected Parent movie folder
          6. hit the "x" in the upper right to close the window and get back to the DVDFAB Video Converter screen
          7. DVDFAB will have the VOBs listed with 3 characteristics (Number, Title, and Play Time)
          8. In my case some of the Play Times were incorrectly listed as 0 (zero).
          9. Hit Start and DVDFAB will begin conversion of the VOBs to the DVDFab.HDvideoMp3.mkv.h264.aac format.
          10. DVDFAB will continue to correctly convert the VOB Files until it reaches a VOB that has a Play Time of 0. then it will go into an endless loop.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

If you use the device as a target, the conversion will likely take 2-3X longer, due to the slow (2.7MB/s) write capabilities of the device when compared to a HDD.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanx for the info CBR, GregiBoy and Signals.

GregiBoy: Good to know that there are effect of copy protection that are not removed when DVDFAB rips to the HD. I had assumed that once ripped, the HD files were clean.

CBR: Thanx for taking the time to post an alternative method that gets around this issue.

Signals: Thanx also for the note on bit rate constraints. I assume that this was directed at the work around method, since the 20hours that the program took on a single VOB using my Video Conversion method would seem to imply that it is not an issue with the bit rate of either device or HD.

That said, if I were successful in using the work around proposed by CBR, using my HD as the Target, wouldn't I still need to transfer the converted file from the HD to the device at the reduced rate of 2.7 MB/s. Thus having a combined time greater than just having the converted file targetted directly to the device, (as is the default target in his method)?

...or maybe I am still a little confused...

DCE

Comment

They're clean, but just fake...

Originally posted by DCE1511 View Post
                Thanx for the info CBR, GregiBoy and Signals.

GregiBoy: Good to know that there are effect of copy protection that are not removed when DVDFAB rips to the HD. I had assumed that once ripped, the HD files were clean.

DCE
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Odd, these "fake" files actually play from my HD. even stranger, is that the other non-Fake files do not make up a complete movie. These fake ones actually contain necessary parts of the movie.

Comment

Working...
                  X