Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything Else H265

Hello,

How come NOBODY is talking about the NEW H265 that is coming soon ????

Will it be just for HD/Blu Ray Videos ???

Will they use it for DVD's ???

Can you use it for WMV, DivX, etc ???

I think not for DVDs, the players can't handle it. What I have read says it will be used on phones/tablets, other things that need small file size or low bitrate.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      I think not for DVDs, the players can't handle it. What I have read says it will be used on phones/tablets, other things that need small file size or low bitrate.
      I know that we are NOT ready for the HIGH End of H265, because it raises the Resolution and the increase of Pixels.

But what are People around here Constantly asking about ??????

They are constantly asking, HOW do I get a Good Compression, But keep a Good looking video.

I Don't know if I am saying this correctly, But you can Compress the Video more with H265, which gives a Smaller Size Video, and a Better looking Video.

Is H265 compatable with ALL codecs ????

Comment

Here is some Info that I found on H265.

H.265 Standard Finalized, could finally replace MPEG-2 and usher in UHDTV.

The HEVC/H.265 standard, which offers a number of improvements over current H.264 implementations, has now been finalized. It should now be a matter of months until you begin to see devices (smartphones, graphics cards) that support H.265 decode.

Repeated quality comparison tests have demonstrated that H.265 reduces file size by roughly 39-44% at the same quality compared to H.264. This figure can change dramatically depending on how quality control is measured. In subjective viewing tests, subjects reported HEVC’s quality was equal to or greater than H.264′s with a bitrate reduction of 51-74%.

H.265 is designed to use a more efficient means of encoding pixel data and incorporates larger blocks of pixels than H.264′s macroblocks did. It can divide a picture into tiles for more efficient parallel processing and decode slices independently for better resynchronization. Intra-prediction specifies 33 directional modes (up from eight in H.264) and offers better motion compensation processing and vector prediction.

So how long until you can buy an HEVC-capable device? That’s going to depend on a host of factors. Companies like AMD and Nvidia will likely integrate H.265 decode capabilities in fairly short order.

Right now, terrestrial cable is dominated by MPEG-2 broadcasts. The good news is that H.265 could finally give broadcasters reason to ditch MPEG-2 by reducing bandwidth consumption by 70-80% for the same content.

An H.264 4K Blu-ray film needs far more storage space than an H.265 version of the same content.

Compatibility with the existing Blu-ray standard in some form. Who wins the debate may depend on who gets stuck bearing the cost. Updating to the H.265 standard wouldn’t require any changes to disc manufacturing but might require all-new players, while high-density discs might work in some current players, but would require a manufacturing overhaul.

Another big question for later this year will be console support. Sony’s PS2 and PS3 helped launch both the DVD and Blu-ray standards. The PS4 could theoretically do the same for 4K content, provided there’s some consensus about how 4K content is going to be delivered in the future and what standards support it.

Comment

As I have said before:-

This is your wheelbarrow so you can push it all you like!

The rest of us old farts that have been around this industry for decades will just wait and see what commercial reality and the future brings.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            As I have said before:-

This is your wheelbarrow so you can push it all you like!

The rest of us old farts that have been around this industry for decades will just wait and see what commercial reality and the future brings.
            You know about the Problem with Old Farts ???
            They live tooo Much in the Past.

Well I will PUSH that wheelbarrow into the Future.
            It will NOT take 10 years, YOU will see some use of it in a FEW Months.

Well Gregiboy, I do agree with you about the Commercial Reality and what the Future Brings.

One of the reasons WHY I think H265 is going to be GOOD, is when it Starts OUT looking Good, and can ONLY get better, when you start tweeking it.

Comment

FYI.....From ZDNet Jan 25, 2013

One can draw a parallel between the adoption curve of MPEG-4 as it gradually encroached into the supremacy of MPEG-2. We believe that while token adoptions--such as incorporation into DVB standards for terrestrial broadcasting--will occur in the short-term, and a few channels may also be launched by 2015, a critical mass of adoption will not begin to occur until at least 2016. History indicates this--even a decade after the launch of AVC, MPEG-2 remains a formidable force in Pay TV (particularly cable), owing to the massive footprint of legacy equipment such as set top boxes and transmission infrastructure that is all designed to work with MPEG-2 video.
              Cost also remains an issue--many Pay TV operators in regions like Africa, Asia, and Latin America are choosing MPEG-2 rather than AVC because of the significantly lower cost of consumer premise equipment (CPE) and video encoders. Considering the massive wave of investment in AVC equipment that we have seen in the last two years, we expect at least 5 more years of equipment life before economically stressed broadcasters and service providers will consider systemic upgrades. Any video technology touches many components as it travels from glass to glass, such as cameras, NLE systems, video indexing systems, statistical multiplexers, satellite transponders, head-ends, and (perhaps most importantly) CPEs.
              Similarly on the OTT side, transcoders, file formats, streaming protocols, streaming servers, content protection systems, network optimization platforms, and end devices all need to support HEVC before an end to end solution becomes broadly viable. In their continual endeavor to fight commoditization and drive demand through continued technological disruption, vendors of video technology and consumer electronics devices alike are engaged in fast and furious product development around HEVC, with many announcements made already and several more significant milestones expected throughout 2013.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You know about the Problem with Old Farts ???
                They live tooo Much in the Past.

You know the problem with "Young Farts"?
                They believe all the marketing B/S that the companies put out!!

'"In their continual endeavor to fight commoditization and drive demand through continued technological disruption, vendors of video technology and consumer electronics devices alike are engaged in fast and furious product development around HEVC, with many announcements made already and several more significant milestones expected throughout 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  FYI.....From ZDNet Jan 25, 2013

One can draw a parallel between the adoption curve of MPEG-4 as it gradually encroached into the supremacy of MPEG-2. We believe that while token adoptions--such as incorporation into DVB standards for terrestrial broadcasting--will occur in the short-term, and a few channels may also be launched by 2015, a critical mass of adoption will not begin to occur until at least 2016. History indicates this--even a decade after the launch of AVC, MPEG-2 remains a formidable force in Pay TV (particularly cable), owing to the massive footprint of legacy equipment such as set top boxes and transmission infrastructure that is all designed to work with MPEG-2 video.
                  Cost also remains an issue--many Pay TV operators in regions like Africa, Asia, and Latin America are choosing MPEG-2 rather than AVC because of the significantly lower cost of consumer premise equipment (CPE) and video encoders. Considering the massive wave of investment in AVC equipment that we have seen in the last two years, we expect at least 5 more years of equipment life before economically stressed broadcasters and service providers will consider systemic upgrades. Any video technology touches many components as it travels from glass to glass, such as cameras, NLE systems, video indexing systems, statistical multiplexers, satellite transponders, head-ends, and (perhaps most importantly) CPEs.
                  Similarly on the OTT side, transcoders, file formats, streaming protocols, streaming servers, content protection systems, network optimization platforms, and end devices all need to support HEVC before an end to end solution becomes broadly viable. In their continual endeavor to fight commoditization and drive demand through continued technological disruption, vendors of video technology and consumer electronics devices alike are engaged in fast and furious product development around HEVC, with many announcements made already and several more significant milestones expected throughout 2013.
                  You mentioned the Things Mainly concerning the High End Part of H265.

those issues we already agreed on that those things will take longer and cost money to change or improve things.

The things that I have mentioned and more interested in, will use H265, Starting this Year, within a Few Months.

By learning how to use H265 on what I call the Lower End (Encoding-Compressing), will give them info on how to use the High End.

Part of your Agument (above) is what I having been saying.

YOU said above,
                  "Vendors of video technology and consumer electronics devices alike are engaged in fast and furious product development around HEVC, with many announcements made already and several more significant milestones expected throughout 2013."

So in YOUR own argument, it agrees with ME.

Their Product Development around HEVC (H265) will make Significant Milestones expected Throughout 2013.

This is 2013.

Comment

You said above,

You know the problem with "Young Farts"?
                    They believe all the marketing B/S that the companies put out!!

When YOU called me a "Young Fart".

Is that by "Age" or the way I "think".

I don't want to look at the Past, and see how things developed, and make my Judgments on past developments.

I want to look on how things that are developed today, and how to incorpoate those ideas in todays terms.

Comment

Here it is Feb 14th.

And DivX is getting ready to ADD H.265 to their Program.

What Took them so long.

Comment

Maybe because no one is using it...

Comment

Let's not get this going again!!!

Comment

Yeah, let's not. If you want to see it in DVDFab, put it in Feature Request.
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hello Gregiboy and Signals,

NO we do NOT need to get into all that again.

I got an E-mail about it.

and thought I would Post the News.

But I was surprised that their getting into the Process of adding it to their Program this soon.

And NO I am NOT going to Request that they ADD H265 to their Programs.

I think they are Plenty Smart enough to do that on their own.

Comment

Working...
                              X