Getting way to expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting way to expensive

This is more a goodbye note than anything else. I find that DVDFab is getting way to greedy and their pricing is now so confusing it is ridiculous! (Must be some a dutch organization!)

As a result I will no longer extend my License. I note that the only exclusive that DVDFab has/had is the 3D BluRay, everything else is available elsewhere and in many (actually all) cases for Free (Other Software, etc..). What did it for me is that we now have to pay extra for the Passkey software. It is like buying a car and then have to pay extra for the Air in the tires!! and on top of that the air is only good for a limited time!

I further note the very limited compression options with H.264..(basically only bitrate based),. This (for the same output quality) is causing double or (larger) triple the file size as compared to Constant quality based.
    Last edited by 90312; 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM. Reason: Forum rules.

I didn't see a question and since we don't have a General Rant forum I moved it here to General Chat.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

What did it for me is that we now have to pay extra for the Passkey software. It is like buying a car and then have to pay extra for the Air in the tires!! and on top of that the air is only good for a limited time!
      I've been copying DVDs & BDs for quite a long time now & I have never owned the Passkey software. So what makes you think that you need it?

Comment

And what on earth makes you think it should be free???
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

really should consider life time lisences for fab, there will always be new encryptions that need broke, or bypassed. and fab is providing a service, and last time i checked people still need to eat. and to eat you need money, so you do a service to get money back in return.

Comment

I really wonder what went wrong for him ?

Most BD backup solutions out there are priced equally.

The DVDFab BD-related software often costs as much for 2 years as other software does. Other software is cheaper (~60€) but I never had the same success in copying BDs as I had with BD Ripper. This is essentially why I bought a lifetime license. BD copy protections schemes will enhance (more) for shure and hopefully the DVDFab devs will always be able to crunch them.
            Last edited by 90312; 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM. Reason: forum rules, mention of other software by name.

Comment

Worth every penney
              ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Worth every penny indeed Jonatan.

However I cant wait for the time cinavia gets crushed by dvdfab.
                Lancool K-56 case.
                OCZ 700watt PSU.
                MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
                ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
                16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
                OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                WD 2TB.
                EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Well I have been using dvdfab for about 1year and a half and I bought blu ray copy and dvd copy and never ever spent a dime more...I have had quite a few software programs and this is by far the best I have found..

Comment

well, I have been using Fab Platinum Lifetime since Version 3 and I also regard it as the best software purchase that I have ever made.

That being said, I feel ther are some valid points being raised..

Fab has always used the VSO burning engine and we have always been told that that is a commercial decisiom. A far better solution is ImgBurn which is not fraught with problems and use nearly always recommended if a user has burning problems. I would have terminated this commercial arrangement ages ago. This is now hardly relevant to me as I never burn disks as I use media players exclusively.

Fab has always excelled at it's initial purpose which is to decrypt and remove copy protection from video disks and I would never use another product.

Where I feel that Fab falls down is in it's file conversion capabilities and I feel that this is partly caused by trying to be a "One Size Fits All" for all devices and it's capabilities are far behind most free software that targets 99% of the marketplace being IOS devices and MKV's (And everyone here must know by now how much I hate iCrap devices!!!). For gods sake get rid of all WMV output and say so. It's been a bugbear for many years and relies on encoders from my 2nd favourite company, Micro$oft.

Unfortunately, I will not use my registered Fab modules to do this as I obtain fare better results using free software that fills my needs.

Perhaps it is because I am also an experienced, demanding user who knows exactly what I want and Fab does not provide it.

Also the way that Fab is now bundled & modularised is quite confusing and sometimes not in the best interest of the user.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

i've been using fab for a number of years now as originally purchased it when you got lifetime updates and has saved some money over the years.

Just after xmas I decided to purchase the blu-ray features as I'm now buying more on blu-ray and wanted to back the stuff up to my media storage and play across the network.

In the end I decided to add the BD-Ripper only as won't be backing up to discs and convert most stuff to mkv anyway. So I purchased the lifetime update, meaning no more yearly costs for the product I will be using for sometime.

Once my dvd's are backed up I then use other software to convert to mkv as I can set a batch conversion running.

Overall I'm happy with Fab, but wish I could get version 9 working without it crashing (version 8 works perfectly)

Comment

You can batch convert in both DVDfab DVD Ripper and Blu-ray Ripper.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                        X