TV 'Stability'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything Else TV 'Stability'

Excuse the 'non-technical' terms here but I need some background information and if possible, advice concerning a little problem that I've had for a while. I have two LED HDTV'a - A Sony KDL-52V5100 and a SamsungES8000 (55 Inch). In both cases the pictures etc are great and all are fed via good quality HDMI cables - but occasionally, when the scene has a slow panning action, there seems to be a sort of 'non-smooth' jerkiness to the background. Almost a 'blurring' - This happens on both TV's but not all the time. It happens also when either the HD box or BD or Dune media player is used as input. This is not something new and although not a major problem, is sometimes annoying. As I say, some movies or programmes are perfectly smooth with no jerkiness in the background panning scene so I'm thinking that there may be a setting within the TV's themselves which may help. I have looked at various forums and tried some TV setup changes and things have improved but there is still this occasional problem --- Any suggestions please?

In cases like this search the internet theirs lots of reviews and talk about this kind of thing the Avs forum contains lots of tv stuff here is short info.on the effect you talk about.I did this by entering the tv model and blurring during panning as a search term on Google.

This review is from: Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-52V5100 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV, Black (Electronics)
    The TV is great, 52 inches is huge. Motionflow looked very strange at first but I've gotten used to it and prefer it for movies. The best way I can describe motionflow is like when you are driving and you focus on one particular thing like a road sign or a car for a moment. That object you focus on stays clear despite how fast it's moving while everything around it gets blurry. Motionflow acheives the same effect. It focuses on the subject of the scene and keeps it sharp while everything else moves around it. Motionflow is a bit unlike your eye in one regard. Your eye keeps the thing you are focusing on in the center of your vision. Motionflow keeps the subject of the scene sharp as it moves across the screen. The difference (that the in focus thing is not in the center of the field of view) can be a bit jarring at first.

You can turn it off on most tv's there's also 120 hz control read your manual.

Comment

Horizontal pans put great demands on your player and display device since everything in the frame is different with each frame--lots of information to be updated every time. If you see this effect when playing a Blu-ray from a standalone player, there is not much help for it. If you see it watching movies you have encoded using DVDFab's Ripper module, you can try increasing the video bitrate when making the conversion. You should post in the Software Support forums if you see it using DVD or BD Ripper.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

TV 'Instability"

Thanks for the responses - Greatly appreciated --- BTW I do actually read manuals ... With the Sony TV I've tried playing with the motionflow settings but with no real noticeable changes. The Samsung has a range of other settings which I've tried and again noticed no real changes. Bear in mind that in some movies or cable TV, the scenes are perfectly smooth yet in others, not so much --- I don't usually use the DVDFab Ripper modules as I do a straight 'Main Movie' BD copy into an M2TS file and play that over the internal wired network through my DUNE MP ... As an example, my BD copy of Avatar is perfectly smooth but 'Life of Pi' definitely has some slow scene panning problems. Regarding the 120 Hz control --- Neither the Sony or the Samsung has these -- Or if they do, I can't find them... It's a long time since I actually used my PS3 as a BD player, so maybe I'll try Signals suggestion and see what happens. In any case, none of this is a real problem - Just a little annoying and it would be nice if there is a simple solution

Comment

I have a Samsung 55" LED 3D tv. (model UN55D6420UF)
          Default settings out of the box simulate a 120Hz motion, and there is screen tearing or jerkiness if you leave it on default. (well, on my model TV anyways)

For each of the HDMI inputs, you need to adjust these settings (depending on how many devices you have hooked up)
          but to basically dumb the TV down to play like 60Hz, go into your screen settings, find ADVANCED SETTINGS (not sure exact menu path, but it's in there somewhere) and turn OFF the LED MOTION PLUS.

This will get rid of the smooth flowing effect that you get when you watch 120Hz pictures, and will work more like the 60Hz screens of old.
          Don't get me wrong.. picture is still as clear as ever, but you wont have that tearing in the screen picture.
          I guess try it. Not sure if it will work with the model you have, but it worked for me. Samsung doesn't really call it 120Hz/60Hz, they give it the fancy name of LED MOTION PLUS. lol
          The only other setting I always make sure to change if I default my settings back is the brightness, which is like at 45 or 50 at start. That needs to go up to at least 70, if not more.

Good luck. Let me know if that helps or not.

Comment

Samsung LEDTV Settings

Thanks for the update - I'll try these and see what transpires

Comment

Working...
            X