New Computer Build suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer Build suggestions

Looking for some advice on a new build, since Skylake has been released.

It's been a while since I built my last computer and my current rig is 4 years old (Sandy bridge). Since day 1, I've had issues with my ASUS mobo and instead of upgrading my mobo, I figured it's time to build a new computer. Lo and behold, the newly released skylake processor has been released so I'm thinking of using it. But there are a few questions i'm hoping someone can answer for me.

I'll primarily be using my computer for photo editing and video rendering/converting. I will not be overclocking and I don't game. I use Photoshop a lot and primarily dvdfab and handbrake for my video stuff. I also make alot of home videos.

1) Since DVDfab doesn't use the GPU (Cuda) for processing, is it necessary to get a newer $300+ video card? Or can I get by with just a simple video card for about a hundred dollar?

2) I'm thinking of building a comp around the new Skylake processor or is it not good from video processing?

3) I know that more ram is better but do I really need it? Thinking of getting 32 gigs of DDR4 for my build. I've always had 16, do I need the extra 16 gigs?

4) Overall I'm looking at spending about $1500.00 on my new build.

5) Should I stick with a Samsung Pro SSD or should I delve into getting a M.2 ssd? I will use this for all programs and get a larger WD Black drive for my primary storage.

6) (Last one...sorry) Which BDROM do you recommend? I think I have a Asus drive and there are a lot of discs which it doesn't read. Either from scratches or being old. I heard Pioneer is pretty good.

I've built alot of computers, but I'm not a hardcore technical person. I know how to put it together and keep it running but please don't confuse me with a lot of technical jargon. Just simple answers for a simple person please.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have asked my friend 90312 to look in on your thread, he just finished a new build that provides stunning results with DVDFab. Note that DVDFab fully supports CUDA encoding and decoding as well as Intel QuickSync. There are some other expert builders here also, maybe one of them can give you some recommendations.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My recommendation is a 4790K CPU save some bucks and only lose about 5% performance versus the Skylake i7. I put a GTX 980 video card in mine, use CUDA and get very good results with DVDFab and excellent video rendering. I have 16GB of RAM and that has always been more than plenty. Handbrake does not use CUDA but DVDFab does very effectively. I have no opinion on a SSD I've had 3 or 4 brands and it seems to me SATA III is SATA III and the limiting speed factor. Good luck with the build.
      Last edited by 90312; 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the advice. i'll look into your suggestions. And I'm sorry, I remember reading that CUDA was no longer supported for some reason. I've disabled the CUDA in my DVDFAB settings for quite a while now. I'll correct this after I build my new computer.

Comment

I am running a GTX 780 ti. And Windows 10. Would a newer video card speed things up significantly for me?

Like the GTX 980 or the GTX 980ti

just looking for some suggestions.

Comment

The 980 is awesome, but others work well too.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

What do you think of the GTX 980ti? Is it enough better to be worth it?

Comment

Check out the 960 4GB it is about half the price of a 980 and it does H.265 on chip.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X