• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Anti-Piracy Windows 7 Update from MS

New Anti-Piracy Windows 7 Update from MS and what you need to know

Coming soon to your Win7 pc from MS, an "Important Update"

Windows Activation Technologies update KB971033
    Available as a manual download on Feb. 16, 2010 and automatically on Feb. 23, 2010 (for those unfortunates who leave this to MS).

This blog by Lauren Weistein just came to my attention.

Link:

The Windows Blog:
    Get to know Windows 11, the Windows that brings you closer to what you love.News and features for people who use and are interested in Windows, including announcements from Microsoft and its partners.News and more about hardware products from Microso
    Last edited by maineman; 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

So if I don't install that update, I can't get any more ordinary updates for Windows 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
      So if I don't install that update, I can't get any more ordinary updates for Windows 7?
      No, not at all.

The update KB971033 is optional and does not affect any future updates should it not be installed.
      Additionally, it can be uninstalled up to a certain point.
      However, once your system has been tagged as "pirated" by MS, you're stuck.
      At this point the uninstall will be of no use to you.

"...The update will reportedly be tagged simply as an "Important" update. This means that if you use the Windows Update system, the update will be installed to your Windows 7 PC based on whatever settings you currently have engaged for that level of update -- it will not otherwise ask for specific permission to proceed with installation.

If your Windows Update settings are such that you manually install updates, you can choose to decline this particular update and you can also uninstall it later after installation -- without any negative effects per se.
      But don't assume that this will always "turn back the clock" in terms of the update's effects...
      "

"Windows 7 systems will be "downgraded" to "non-genuine" status if they're flagged as suspected pirates. What does this mean?

Essentially, they'll behave the same way they would if they had failed to be authenticated and activated initially within the grace period after purchase."

I'd read over the blog again.
      According to my read, you should be manually downloading updates and simply skip this one and essentially there's no downside.

Apparently, this technology has been part of Windows since XP.
      I think Lauren has a link or at least a reference to this in his blog.
      It's simply being activated with this, shall we say, insidious and somewhat covert update.

As far as predicting MS, who knows what the future holds...?
      Last edited by maineman; 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

In XP and Vista, if you didn't updated the Windows Update control or verified your Windows version you couldn't download any future upgrades. Only the critical updates.

Time will tell.

Comment

Again, by my read, your windows install will still be seen as genuine should you choose not to install this update.
          In the Windows Blog, Joe Williams, General Manager (Genuine Windows) states,
          "the Update is voluntary".

I sincerely hope Lauren's inference is correct.
          As you say,

Time will tell

Comment

as i have nothing to worry about - i do thank you for the heads up.

it's always a joy knowing someone is looking out for us.

thank you!

Comment

Hi.
              i seen that artical and i changed my auto updates to notify me before download or install.
              I noticed that that particular update IS in the list.
              I unchecked it, set it to ignore it in the future, and have no detrimental effects from it.

i find the fact that my software has to connect every so often to see if its legit is ludicrous.
              i cant believe that MS is so greedy that for the SMALL amount of people that actually are capable of running pirate windows software they go though all this work...the billions they make isnt enough for them.
              its not like the pirate versions are being sold, and that money is being taken away from MS... no, its a small group of people that run pirate versions... and most run them due to hi over priced and under supported software they produce..
              for example, i have a good freind that just sheeldd out some big bugs for a new vista computer... well.. we all know what vista is like, and instead of MS fixing the bugs, they just make W7, and then require big money to change over to that OS.. thats uncalled for...
              anyways, i am receiving all my other updates wiht no issues since i refused the anti pirate update.,

Comment

IMO checking to ignore will probably only work for so long. MS will more than likely incorporate it into SP1 for Win7. I installed it about 2 weeks ago and there are no ill effects on a legit copy. You can pick up a copy of WIN7Pro at newegg for $150 for OEM version.
                AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
                4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
                ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
                2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
                LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
                Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

Hi there am I right in thinking that this update is related to all my software not just windows 7.

Comment

Your entire system, ie., your Win7 os and everything installed will be affected.

Your Win7 os will be downgraded to "non-genuine" status.
                    After a short time, the background will appear black. You will be timed-out and be forced to reboot every 20 minutes.
                    You be be the happy recpient of constant nag screens.
                    At least this is what I understand will happen.
                    I'm sure it gets even better.

The thing is, once your system is deemed "non-genuine" by MS, you're screwed. There's no going back.
                    Even better, this can occur anytime;
                    right when you install it or 6 months down the road when MS decides to change its mind about what's genuine or not.

You can uninstall it anytime prior to it tagging you.
                    Once you're tagged...game over.

Hope this helps

Comment

I wonder if they incorporated that into Vista also?
                      Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

If what I read was accurate and I believe it was, the programming was actually introduced in XP, just not utilized/activated.

Comment

Here's the blog that caught my attention:

Comment

I looked through all my updates from MS and could not find one with that KB prefix. But maybe 64bit Ultimate Vista has another Knowledge Base number? Not that I am worried or anything.
                            Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

It has appeared in the update lists for all my XP machines, I have not installed it. I may let it install on one of the netbooks just to see what happens.
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X