This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pleaseeeeeeeee change this

Please put this in the install messages if nothing else, like "hey vso no longer works so deal with it" or anything, because right now the installer just asks if you want to install it!!! How is anyone supposed to know that it doesnt work with the free version when the free version installer installs the program ??

I have spent the last 2 months trying to fix this problem.
    The entire time thinking it was a bug, or an error, now I find out its intentional. Also, nero is commercial too, so if nero is in the list then why isnt vso ?

I have been using the free version of DvdFab for at least 5+ years (and I LOVE it) and have never needed the pro version. WHY is vso burning software installed when dvdfab is installed if its commercial ? And why, if its commercial is it installed ? And why, if its commercial, has it been installed since DvdFab version 1? Did vso stop being free recently ? Also, nero is commercial too, so if nero is in the list then why isnt vso ?

@tripwired
    thank you sooo much for posting this question, but more importantly for posting your solution to this problem, sooo many people figure out a solution to a problem off thread and never answer there own thread

the VSO program is installed because all installations need it for the 30 day free trial period once the 30 day trial is used up the free version is locked out from accessing the VSO engine until purchased.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2010, 03:58 AM.

Comment

It also makes the free version easier and cheaper to produce--only one installer required. Also easier if you decide (as many do) to upgrade to the registered version, all you have to do is enter the key. If you choose to use Nero (or ImgBurn), the interface is there in DVDFab but neither is supplied and the cost to DVDFab's developers is zero. Seems to me this makes too much sense to change.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

First off, thanks for the quick reply and added info about why the installer was there in the first place.

I think, however, you missed what I was actually asking you to change. All Im really asking is for you add a little note in the installer (maybe right at the place where the vso checkbox is in the picture) that the vso will not work after the first 30 days.

Most of the reason this took me so long to figure out what the problem was, was because I thought something was wrong, not that the 30 days were up. I did not notice the thirty days were up because I only need what is supplied with the free version or hd dvddecrypter. Another way to completely fix this problem would be to add VSO to the License page. If next to VSO it said it was expired I would have put the pieces together.

The problem with the current implementation is that someone like me whos been using hd decrypter for years, never worrying about 30 days, all of a sudden has a program that doesnt work. And no real reason why. If there were a note anywhere (dont get me wrong someone will always not see it, but anythings better than nothing) that said vso is no longer free, that would help tremendously.

Another option, this might be the best as its the first thing you see when you have the problem, is when you get the error "Please specify path of Nero or ImgBurn at first" change the text of that error message to say "your vso has expired, Please specify path of Nero or ImgBurn or upgrade to the registered version of dvdfab". This even gives you ad space !!

Comment

If you have gotten years of utility from DVDFab then I would think a purchase would be a proper thank you to the developers.

I obviously don't use the free version. What is it that you can do with Nero and ImgBurn that you cannot do with VSO?

Comment

exactly

And that is exactly the point on both levels, a very simple solution to my problem would have been to buy the non free version, or install imgburn or nero.

BUT i didnt KNOW the problem. See again my issue is not that they change any software; now that I know the problem it can be EASILY fixed by either buying the product or installing imgburn. The problem was I thought it was a GLITCH and I was under that assumption for over 2 months it never occurred to me that a this was an intentional change.

I am asking that they put a tiny more amount of information in there notification service ( it is addintional ad space so if anything I would think they would want to), so that when someone else gets the error "Please specify path of Nero or ImgBurn at first" they don't wonder what was wrong with vso for 2 months.

Comment

I would imagine a visit here after about a week of searching would have answered your question and saved you a lot of frustration. Personally, I find this software to be the best supported I have come across in some time so if something quits working I look here first. Usually there is an upgrade the next day after a problem is reported and in some cases, BEFORE most encounter it.

You might try using this forum more often when you have a problem. It saves the programmers the having to read all our minds as to what each one wants.
              I wonder how many people read the little "readme" files or for that matter, the help or direction files included in a lot of the software?

Comment

Your post just makes no sense. You already know all of this now so it makes no difference anymore. Instead of demanding what a free version should do or not do, how about supporting the program and BUYING it after using is for 5 years free. The paid version is so much better than the free version it's not even funny. Once you take some money out of your tight pockets, you will be glad you did.
                I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Working...
                X