This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Naming

I am not a marketing expert but I think it would be worthwhile considering changing the name of the free version of DVD. Here are my thoughts:
    • It seems that every 3rd post raises the question is it the free version or the paid version.
    • The new policy on updates on the free version makes it distinct from the paid version.
    • The free version can have its own forum group.
    • There seems to be continued confusion on features between the free version vs. paid version.

Personally, if I am going to use something more than a few times I pay for it. If it is freeware I make a contribution. I develop S/W and I know the effort it takes.

Maybe DVDFab could be released with 2 versions - DVDFab and FabFree (my name for it).

Thoughts?

Originally posted by billbell52 View Post
    I am not a marketing expert but I think it would be worthwhile considering changing the name of the free version of DVD. Here are my thoughts:
    • It seems that every 3rd post raises the question is it the free version or the paid version.
    • The new policy on updates on the free version makes it distinct from the paid version.
    • The free version can have its own forum group.
    • There seems to be continued confusion on features between the free version vs. paid version.

Personally, if I am going to use something more than a few times I pay for it. If it is freeware I make a contribution. I develop S/W and I know the effort it takes.

Maybe DVDFab could be released with 2 versions - DVDFab and FabFree (my name for it).

Thoughts?
    This is an excellent idea. We've discussed this in the past and at least one of the obstacles is how to filter/control the posting.
    It seems no matter how extensive the instructions/requests on how, where, what to post, members all too frequently do not post essential info...like what application, what version, etc., etc.

I doubt that Fengtao will create another forum.
    Still, a separate sub-forum should help.
    I'll take it up with the gang and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Whether a poster had the free or registered versions didn't really matter much until recently. I could see a new forum for it if it becomes a standalone release with its own installer, but not sure it would be useful otherwise. The developers like to get the feedback about the modules all in one place (e.g. DVD to DVD, DVD to Mobile etc.).
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

What about a spot in our Member area (the upper right corner of a post) that will say something like Free or Paid version. I'm a member of a couple of Sport Trac sites and there are 4 types of Tracs. They put a spot there so when you post, it puts what type you have right by your name. Saves confusion when someone posts a problem they have. Might be a quick and easy fix for the problem you have here.
        Into abyss
        You don't exist
        Cannot resist
        The Judas kiss
        Judas lives recite this vow
        I've become your new god now

Comment

Working...
        X