VHS Tape copies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VHS Tape copies

I made some digital versions of old VHS tapes (.MPG). Can I use DVDFab to make a DVD with this format? Not sure if I need to use Video Converter for this. If so, convert to what? Thanks, Jim

Originally posted by Jimroy View Post
    I made some digital versions of old VHS tapes (.MPG). Can I use DVDFab to make a DVD with this format? Not sure if I need to use Video Converter for this. If so, convert to what? Thanks, Jim

Unfortunately, Fab can't do this.

You need an authoring program to take the .mpg files and put them into a DVD compliant state, then write them to a blank DVD.

DC

Comment

Thanks DC. What extension would a "DVD compliant state" be?

Jim

Comment

This is over-simplified but, dvd video file structure consists of 2 folders:
        AUDIO_TS Folder (typically empty)
        VIDEO_TS Folder which is comprised of .vob, .bup and .ifo files.

This "conversion" is not a simple task.

You should take a look at Videohelp.com.
        There's a vast array of guides and threads for just about anything related to video.

I just typed VHS to DVD conversion and got this:

Click on the first link to get a flavor.

Could I ask, ultimately, what's your goal here?
        Were these original VHS tapes copy protected?
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the links. I will check them out. My goal is just to digitize these tapes. Some are more than 20 years old and are showing signs of wear. In addition, I like the ease of of DVD as opposed to a VHS tape.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the links. I will check them out. My goal is just to digitize these tapes. Some are more than 20 years old and are showing signs of wear. In addition, I like the ease of of DVD as opposed to a VHS tape.

Jim

If you've done any of the reading that Maineman started you on, I suspect you're starting to learn just how much 'ease' there is with regards to DVDs.

Unfortunately, there is a lot more than just a file extension needed to achieve DVD compliancy.

You have basically two choices with your VHS files (and I apolgize for mentioning any software by name, but none of it is competing with Fab):

1.) Buy DVDLab Pro ($200.00+) and go on a steep learning curve to figure out how to use it...

2.) Buy VSOs ConvertXToDVD ($40-$50), and let this program do it all for you. It'll give you nice pretty menus, set chapters for you, and will convert any video format to DVD compliance (along with all IFO, BUP and VOB files) and write it to a blank DVD ready to play.

Have fun!!

DC

Comment

hello,

you can take your vhs tapes to a location and they can put them on dvd's

Comment

Originally posted by thisizbrian View Post
                hello,

you can take your vhs tapes to a location and they can put them on dvd's

Essentially correct, but what they'll do is give him a DVD with the files from the tapes written on a DVD as data that will require a computer and something like VLC Media player to watch, and they won't play at all on a set-top DVD player.

That may be OK for the OP. He wasn't too clear about that in his posts.

By the by, what 'location' did you have in mind??

DC

Comment

You can save the MPG (or any other) files to a DVD disc (using ImgBurn or some other burning app) without any conversions at all, but they will not play on a DVD player. If you have a satisfactory way to play them in the current digital format and are just concerned with longevity, that would be much easier. ConvertXtoDVD is a great tool that I use also, but it will decode and re-encode the video, resulting in some further degradation of the picture, which is probably not that great to begin with due to its VHS origins.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks DC and Signals for pointing me to ConvertXtoDVD. It appears to be what I'm looking for. In the meantime I did copy one of the mpg files to a DVD using Windows DVD maker. It plays on my computer but I don't have a desktop DVD player so not sure if it works there. These VHS tapes are music instruction so I'm happy using them on the computer. ConvertXtoDVD will allow me to put chapter points on them which will be nice. One last thing. After 10-20 years the audio on these tapes degraded much worse than the video. I thought it would be the other way around. Thanks again for everyones input.
                    Jim

Comment

Good luck with the project.

The audio on non-HiFi format VHS is just analog audio, like a cassette or 8-track. If it has dropouts or bad spots, I'm surprised you don't have glitches in the video as well. You may have oxide buildup on the audio playback head on the VHS player, which can be cleaned with a cotton swab and denatured alcohol.

Thanks DC and Signals for pointing me to ConvertXtoDVD. It appears to be what I'm looking for. In the meantime I did copy one of the mpg files to a DVD using Windows DVD maker. It plays on my computer but I don't have a desktop DVD player so not sure if it works there. These VHS tapes are music instruction so I'm happy using them on the computer. ConvertXtoDVD will allow me to put chapter points on them which will be nice. One last thing. After 10-20 years the audio on these tapes degraded much worse than the video. I thought it would be the other way around. Thanks again for everyones input.
                      Jim
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X