I need a lot of Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a lot of Help

My post may be to broad for a forum, but perhaps someone can help. I downloaded FabDVD to move all my video to a NAS. I began with a couple of DVDs and that process woked fine (H.264). The playback was not smooth, but I attribute that to my wireless network. However, when I ripped, copied, cloned, converted my home videos they did not appear on the Sony BDP-S570. It wouldn't even recognize the PS3 format. I realize from reading these pages that player might not be the preferred drive, but I have 2 of them and need to make them work. These videos were created by Pinnacle Studio and can be saved by that program in several formats. It just seems odd the the Sony Player will play the DVD disks, but not the files when copied to the NAS. I wanted to try the MKV format, but I couldn't get that to even launch. I'm totally new to working with video.

Questions:

1. Is there a section where I could read some general instructions on the use of the FabDVD software?

2. Is there some less sophisticated software that might be easier for me to use?

3. Is there a format that is known to work with the Sony player?

4. What the heck is an ISO file?

TIA

Takpro

I can help a little

I have tried lots of programs. This program rocks and for them to let you use a program for free for a month I don't no of any other company that does that for making back up copies of movies.

There is a place for instructions once clicking on your fab on top right corner there is a question mark click on that and it will help you a little hope this infor works. For the other somebody else needs to answere that. I'm new also so I'm learning new things about this program.

Comment

takpro
      There are may tutorials and guides on the dvdfab website. As to other software, this is not the place to discuss it. I don't know of anything easier to use than DVDFab. Your Sony player may not play other formats from a network connection. My Sony BD-350 plays every disc I've ever made, Blu-ray and DVD. An ISO file is a burnable disc image, and it is doubtful that your Sony would play it, but many media players will.

Your post is a little confusing, with many questions. Try tackling one problem at a time, starting with what the file requirements are on the Sony for playback from a network or attached storage--please check the owner's manual and post the details or a link to them. You are probably correct in attributing the jerkiness to the network if it is wireless.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Takpro,

Signals is totally correct. You are trying to approach too many problems at one time.

Start from the basics and work up.

With regard to more simple software, Signals points are again very valid.

As this is a DVDFab forum, it is an inappropriate place to discuss. Yes, there is more simple software out there but it is up to you to do the research.

I will make the comment thought... The more simple the software, the less you can do with it and you end up coming to a dead end.

You need to invest some of your time in research and trying things. You can't blow anything up and all it takes is computer time and patience & effort on your part.

That is how most of us old hands have done it and we are only to willing to assist using our own (sometimes bitter) experience, but you really need to identify and spell out the problem at a basic level.

PS: Do not even bother trying to use wireless for streaming your media. It is fraught with problems. There are innumerable posts on the subject on this forum and my comment of 2 days ago said "I have put it in my diary to check again in 2025"

Also, have a read of my "Best Practice" thread in the link below. Although this was written for DVD's, the same basic principles apply to Blu-Ray....
        Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you for your prompt replies. I don't want you to think I haven't been working on these problems, I've had the software for 3 weeks and as I said the regular DVDs did fine. It was just when I tried my home videos is when I hit a wall. Ill try to look at some of the resources on this site. The home video has been tried in at least 5 formats, but I'll keep at it.

Thanks Again.

Takpro

Comment

Some Success

Thank you GregiBoy'

I did use the full disk copy method that you posted and I have been able to get my Home Videos in a viewable format. One further question; Every disk I copy using this method creates a long list of VTS_01_0, VTS_01_01 etc etc files that are, of course, of little use as far as organizing a library. I can rename them to indicate what video they represent, but each file is listed separately. I assume in a commercial DVD these may represent chapters and in my Home Videos they must represent each film segment (Camera on...Camera off) cycle. The Sony player lists all these segments individually in a single column which makes browsing cumbersome. Is there a way to put all this info into one single file that is playable?

BTW...Don't give up on wireless streaming. I have a Buffalo Linkstation PRO and a Linksys E 3000. Last night I streamed The English Patient and ran a 2.5mbps full back-up on the Linkstation at the same time. There was no discernable difference between the stream and a disk.

Now for Blu-Ray!

Thanks Again,

Takpro

Comment

The VOB files that you notes are created exactly the same as the disk is authored. DVD Copy cannot change this.

If you wish to change the structure, you need to look at DVD Ripper.

PS: You will never convince me on wireless with high bitrate files.

I have been streaming media for about 8 years and have 6 diffent NAS's and u to 10 different players at any one time and from much testing experience, will not waste any more time on it.
              Last edited by GregiBoy; 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ripping is what caused my initial problems, I couldn't find a ripping format that my Sony player would play. I would gladly buy all of the offered software if I can get it to do what I want. Is there are ripping format that will mimmick the VOS files so the player can recognize them? Thank you again for all your assistance.

Takpro

Comment

Working...
                X