Would like help re-thinking storage file strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like help re-thinking storage file strategy

For some reasons I cannot remember, I have been backing up my DVDs as .iso files and now have close to 1 terabyte of backed up videos. With the devices that play videos from home storage, I have not seen any that play back .iso files (unless I am missing something), so I would assume that I would have to convert any of my .iso files back to the .vob, .ifo, and .bup files.

So is there really any reason to continue to store copies as .iso files?

Thanks
    Ken K

One reason can be that you only have one file to keep record on and not several ones if you have them saved as .bup/.vob/.ifo files.

You don't need to convert an ISO. Split it with a program like 7-Zip.

Comment

Many media players will play ISOs of DVDs. But there is no particular virtue in storing the files this way. They take up slightly more space and take slightly longer to produce than a VIDEO_TS folder of the same content.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Actually, when I referred to the .bup/.vob/.ifo files, I was referring to the x/VIDEO_TS/(.bup/.vob/.ifo) files as you no doubt knew. In my simplistic mind I see the storage choice as either the folder cascade like that, versus .iso files, and I am beginning to think that the storage cascade of folders, as it apparently can be read by devices like AppleTV, may be the better way to handle the storage issue.

"You don't need to convert an ISO. Split it with a program like 7-Zip. "

Thanks. Wasn't familiar with 7-zip. Looks like I would have to split each .iso manually but it seems to be rather straight-forward.

Thanks
        Ken K

Comment

Thanks, Signals.

I have NO idea why I began storing my backups as .iso, it has been so long.

I will do some research as to which media players play .iso files.

Ken K

Comment

Working...
          X