Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DVDFab portable/runnable from USB stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is DVDFab portable/runnable from USB stick?

I would like to install DVDFab on an USB stick an run it on different computers.
    Is this possible?

Is DVDfab portable?

I remember an old similar tool which loads necessary drivers on demand.
    So it must be possible in general.

Peter

In your other thread you are talking about Virtual Drive. Is that what you are asking about here?

Comment

This does work, or it did with earlier versions of DVDFab. If you run it on more than one machine at once, the key will be blacklisted.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Any program, including DVDFab, that asks you to restart your PC after the initial install, is not a portable program. Restart of a PC is required in order to make changes(write) to the registry and to some other files on a computer that cannot be modified while they are being used, and they are being used while the PC is running. Since USB sticks don't come with their own registry or an IP address, you cannot tie an installation of DVDFab to them.

Comment

I was pretty sure that one of the mods, (I think it was AGJ) worked out a procedure to do this.

It was something like do the install to a directory on the memory stick first and then run the program from the memory stick.

There were a couple of provisos that I remember.

1. When you run it on another computer, it will only run in trial mode until you re-enter the registration.
          2. The other is that if multiple computers run at the same time with the same registration, you stand a good chance of your registration being blaclisted as Signals said.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            I was pretty sure that one of the mods, (I think it was AGJ) worked out a procedure to do this.

It was something like do the install to a directory on the memory stick first and then run the program from the memory stick.

Say GregiBoy, you're not too bad for an old fart...
            You're right on the money, it was AGJ
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Actually it was 90312 who did this and here link to his Thread about it http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=3094 Should work with DVDFab8 if follow his advice in Post#1

Comment

Well, Maineman, both of us old farts stand corrected !!!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I know Wikipedia is not the best source in the world, but when it comes to definition of Portable Applications, they are right on the money.

A portable application does not leave its files or settings on the host computer. Typically this means that the application does not write to the Windows registry or store its configuration files (such as an INI file) in the user's profile; instead, it stores its configuration files in the program's directory.
                  Source:

So in order for a non-trial(licensed) "portable" installation of DVDFab to run on a PC, it has to "talk" to the registry of the host computer thus making it a non-portable application. Methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    Well, Maineman, both of us old farts stand corrected !!!!

Ouch!...
                    Apologies, 90312
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                    X