How to tell what framerate is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell what framerate is?

I have been pleased by the Blu-ray ripper, so I decided to give the DVD ripper a try with some old VOBs that I have on my system. Using some other software I had been having alot of audio sync problems, and I have been trying to find a solution. One of the issues seems to be the framerate of the source material, and keeping the framerate the same in the converted output file.

DVDfab DVD ripper always seems to default to 23.97, but when I check the framerate with the other software, it is almost always 29.97. Funny thing is I have discovered that my TV can't even do 23.97, apparantly when I put 23.97 movies into my PS3, it upconverts them for my TV. Of course, that is completely irrelevant to this question.

Which simply is this: how can I get DVDfab to tell me the original framerate of the source material? Right now, I am going to another program for that... seems it would be easier if DVDfab could give me that information.
    Last edited by pawnslinger; 03-29-2011, 05:03 PM. Reason: Spelling fix

If these are DVD VIDEO_TS folders, you can use MediaInfo or IFOEdit (both free). You can set DVD Ripper to use a "same as source" framerate for the conversion with most profiles.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

You sure can't use VLC Media player for that, it lies!
      Attached Files
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        If these are DVD VIDEO_TS folders, you can use MediaInfo or IFOEdit (both free). You can set DVD Ripper to use a "same as source" framerate for the conversion with most profiles.
        Maybe I am blind, but when I pull down the framerate box, it doesn't have that as an option. I am using the latest release 8.x.x.x -- where would I locate this option. If it makes any difference, I am using iPad as my target for the conversion... might there be different options for diferent targets?

Comment

Originally posted by pawnslinger View Post
          Maybe I am blind, but when I pull down the framerate box, it doesn't have that as an option. I am using the latest release 8.x.x.x -- where would I locate this option. If it makes any difference, I am using iPad as my target for the conversion... might there be different options for diferent targets?
          Signals said to use MediaInfo or IFOEdit to see what the original frame rate was and use that, not all profiles have that option.
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I understand what he wrote. I already have a program that will tell me the framerate... so no need to get more. What I am looking for is how to get DVDfab to tell me, so I don't need so many programs! It is getting to be a bit of a chore, at the moment I have around 6 or 7 different programs to do different things. It would be nice if it could be condensed down to just 1... what a wonderful number that is!!
            Last edited by pawnslinger; 03-29-2011, 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling fix

Comment

Just to check things out a bit more... I ripped a fresh DVD with DVD ripper and check with MediaInfo prior to the rip... the fps on the disc was 29.97. I used the generic mp4 profile and asked for fps to be the same as source. The reusltant file had the audio out of sync. Then I used MediaInfo to check the mp4 just created, and it was 23.97 fps. I am re-ripping now, as I write, with the specific request in DVDfab for 29.97 fps. I will post the result.

Later...

Okay, that worked! There seems to be a bug in the 3/19/2011 version of DVDfab, where it is using 23.97 even when "same as source" has been requested. This can cause an audio sync problem, but it is not a problem for all source material. I have no idea why, but some material seems okay at 23.97, but other material is out of sync at that rate.

The only solution I can see, right now, is to manually check the source material's fps and override what DVDfab shows for fps.
              Last edited by pawnslinger; 03-30-2011, 12:34 AM. Reason: report test result

Comment

Glad you found a solution and it worked, and I am sure they will get it fixed.

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                You sure can't use VLC Media player for that, it lies!
                Agreed my friend, same thing here.
                CBR929
                Last edited by CBR929; 03-30-2011, 02:05 AM. Reason: text
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

For some reason, "same as source" is an often broken feature (along with force deinterlace), even though it has been in DVDFab since the early days of DVD to Mobile. What I was saying earlier is that not all DVDFab profiles have "same as source" as an option.
                  Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                  Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

For some reason, "same as source" is an often broken feature (along with force deinterlace), even though it has been in DVDFab since the early days of DVD to Mobile. What I was saying earlier is that not all DVDFab profiles have "same as source" as an option.
                    Yes, I did understand what you meant. I found it under the "generic mp4" profile. I like the way that profile works, in general, I think I will be using it more often than any other. Gives one the best control, as far as I can tell. I did end up downloading MediaInfo too, and it works faster than the other program I was using, so I will stick with it.

Now I just need to go back and re-check all the conversions I had done. No problem, really, as I caught this issue fairly early in the project.

Comment

Working...
                    X