Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Performance issues

Gang,
    I had to rebuild/ reinstall everything on harddrive. Using HP Pavillion dv8 [Windows 7] with 6GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M card. Very happy with DVDFab previously. But when reinstalled, i went from average of 2-3 hours to copy to 12-15 hours + to copy [copy rates used to be 2.5MB/Sec+; now they are down to 0.5 MB/Sec or less] for Blu-rays. I already checked the NVIDA graphic card driver to make sure it was up to date. also enabled CUDA, CUDA + software, and Lightning recording in DVD Fab to take advantage of the NVIDIA/CUDA.

Also the CPU usage meter is now off the charts. It used to use less than 100% all the time, now it is maxing out [100%] a Intel Quad I7 processor on all processor threads [making it hard to work on other things while using DVDFab]. I even tried to reinstall an earlier release of DVDFab 8.0.7.3 (29/1/2011) to see if that would fix it and get back to the way it was before I rebuilt/reinstalled my laptop.

Any ideas? Thanks

Hi CtB
    Not sure if this will help, but have you tried resetting your DMA?
    Open Fab Click the Green top right > General > make sure Check for DMA Automatically is Checked and also Click the Reset DMA to the right click OK and restart Fab.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Have you tried this?

I would also make sure the firmware for your optical drive is up to date, and if that's not the case, download an upgrade for it. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks so much

BINGO! BRAVO!
        It seems it was the DMA setting!! First glimpse is that copy rates are back up to 2-3 MB/Sec [only about 10X difference]. I don't know what it might have been in re-installing Windows 7 and the other applications that might have turned DMA off. It should have tipped me off that DVDFab was hammering the CPU [a transfer intensive process], but I will keep an eye on it and let you know if there are other observations - but seesm so much better now.

But now the CPU is not so hammered and I can work on other apps while DVDFab is working - THANkS!!

Comment

will try this too; good suggestion since I basicall had to reset the computer to factory condition.

Resetting the DMA, seesm to have made a big difference [see other post]

Comment

Glad it is working better for you now
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

I also have a dv8t. I get 9-11 MB/s with DVDs and around 7 MB/s with Blu-rays (with the UJ-240B Blu-ray burner drive). Mine has the i7-820QM CPU, 8GB RAM and same video card as yours, so I would expect your performance to be similar.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I spoke too Soon

Gang,

Although I am getting back to ~1 MB/sec [better than before], it still is WAY BELOW the 7 MB/Sec quoted by "administrator" [I too have the HP BD MLT UJ 240 Blu-Ray read/write drive]. AND it seems as though it is back to choking all my I7 processor threads [100%].

So, the DMA fix seemed to improve things, but still trying to find a site that had the firmware upgrade for the "MATSHITA" Bru-Ray drive. and figure out how I can even appraoch the 7 MB quoted by someone with almost identical hardware (i.e. I have 6 GB RAM not 8 GB RAM, but that does not seem to make a difference as even the 6 GB is not committed).

I should also mention that when I rip a Blue-Ray of less than 23 GB, it takes only 45 min or so. (i.e., no compression). So the extra time is obviously eating up the compression calculation. Still trying to find the Blu-Ray firmware upgrade [don't know HP does not provide something like that on their own site]. Hope that helps, but I know that there is some other setting I must be missing because of the results by administrator are so much faster for the same hardware (although my HP Pavillion dv8 is one year old, so who knows), just wasn't having this problem before having to rebuild the laptop back from factory settings.

Thanks all!!!
                Last edited by CtB; 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM. Reason: added comment on non-compressed time

Comment

Hi CtB
                  Will need more information on your drive to see if there is a firmware update.
                  If you post a burn log it will tell us the make an model number of your drive unless you can provide it.
                  CBR929

Comment

Model # for the Blu-ray drive - firmware upgrade needed?

The model number from the ImgBurn burn record is:

Destination Device: [0:1:0] hp BD MLT UJ240 1.00 (F: ) (ATAPI)

seems as though the firmware version is 1.0.
                    Still looking on Internet for a site that might have a firmware flash upgrade for the Blu-ray drive. Will look again today.
                    Last edited by CtB; 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM. Reason: smiley

Comment

Working...
                    X